HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8321  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:53 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
My turn to be the wet blanket, but who really wants to live on Graham/smith/garry? I'd much rather live at D Condo or Glasshouse.
I don't know, but my -30yr old nephew lives at the Ave bldg. at 265 Portage ave and my other family related guy at 25+ ysrs. old lives in a new Princess/loft..Maybe it's a change that's happened over the last few years...but they both want to live in the core? They tell me they love the activity/excitement/change..and glasshouse will be a few steps away from the avenue?
     
     
  #8322  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:55 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
not sure how to feel about a block-sized podium for the Fortress development... I'm guessing they're building one tower a time?

going to repeat this, but does anyone know if Ray Wan is the architect for the P&M hotel?
     
     
  #8323  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:14 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
yes
     
     
  #8324  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:18 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
thanks, tv. fingers crossed...
     
     
  #8325  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:52 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I just can't stress enough how excited I am for all this development! I really believe our downtown will be completely different from what it is now 5-10 years down the road, and all for the better
Me too. Its very exciting to imagine some of the enormous potential actually coming to fruition over the next several years around the SHED, but residential is absolutely key. Residential development played a huge part in making downtown Vancouver what it is now, but I've grown bored of watching projects in Vancouver... more of the same, each project insignificant compared to the mass of other 'similar projects.' However, Winnipeg is a blank canvas in comparison, and it would appear that not just one developer is carefully selecting a set of brushes and paints to work with.

I truly believe Winnipeg's Renaissance has only begun...
     
     
  #8326  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:10 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
fortress development 36 stories
Announcement coming June 30th (or whenever last-day of Q2 is). No work until at least next year... its a big project, and big projects seem to take a long time to get through all the red tape here.
I'm optimistic about this one though because it will couple VERY nicely with the SHED developments.
This project has been spinning wheels behind the scenes for sometime now. I think the time between the announcement to start of construction will be shorter which action happening before the end of the year on the podium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
p&m project 27 stories
This came out of the blue for me, so... no idea. A Westin Hotel (and a new major hotel) would be huge, and would feed off of the soon-to-be expanded Convention centre, NHL-related travellers, expected bump in tourism, etc. It sure (as %$#@) would be nice to see the WORST (right at Portage and Main? Come on!) surface lot in the city finally GONE.
I think this is going to start this summer as the parking lot it is replacing has already been closed. If the project was further out it would seem likely to continue to take in revenue from the parking until the start date was closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
lakeview hotel 12 stories
No idea, hotel market is suddenly getting competitive with new projects.
Based on at least one previous false start for this project and the quickly increasingly competitve market I think this one won't happen.
     
     
  #8327  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:19 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Me too. Its very exciting to imagine some of the enormous potential actually coming to fruition over the next several years around the SHED, but residential is absolutely key. Residential development played a huge part in making downtown Vancouver what it is now, but I've grown bored of watching projects in Vancouver... more of the same, each project insignificant compared to the mass of other 'similar projects.' However, Winnipeg is a blank canvas in comparison, and it would appear that not just one developer is carefully selecting a set of brushes and paints to work with.

I truly believe Winnipeg's Renaissance has only begun.
Thanks for this post, It gives a great deal of energy and hope for peggers that are constantly inundated with negative comments.
     
     
  #8328  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:21 PM
calder's Avatar
calder calder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: East Exchange
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
My turn to be the wet blanket, but who really wants to live on Graham/smith/garry? I'd much rather live at D Condo or Glasshouse.
Personally I'd prefer D Condo too (Bro-🞵🞵🞵 for life ), but if something even a bit more affordable comes along on Graham/Smith we'd definitely look at it seriously. I'm a bit more meh on Glasshouse tbh. But something on Graham would be a shorter walk for my wife (she works on Lombard) and only a slightly less convenient walk to the bus for me.

But as a whole, considering location/building etc I still consider D Condo about the most desirable downtown condo location. Honestly I'm sick of living in - or looking at - 40 year old buildings. We've looked at some other spots downtown but I vowed I won't move into another place where running the coffee maker and toaster at the same time as my home theatre trips the breaker for the living room, one bedroom and half the kitchen.


So yeah, I'm pretty excited by this rumour and hope it gets announced soon and we get some details asap.
     
     
  #8329  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:25 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Thanks for this post, It gives a great deal of energy and hope for peggers that are constantly inundated with negative comments.
You're welcome, but given the endurance of the city through the hard times of the 80's and the 90's, its time for everyone, residents and developers alike, to step up and make a difference in the community in anyway that they can. To Quote David Thomson on his role in the return of the Jets, "its about time."

Btw, by working at the UofM, I now know countless positive, and promising young individuals in this city who would jump at the opportunity to live in any one of these projects, right now if they were fully built. I actually just was having an email conversation with one, and she sends me a link to the District condos project... timing could be perfect, because many of them need to save up for downpayments, and the developers need to get shovels in the ground.

To quote one of them regarding The District Condos:
"...Pretty much my dream building and location and style and everything."
     
     
  #8330  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:29 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
My turn to be the wet blanket, but who really wants to live on Graham/smith/garry? I'd much rather live at D Condo or Glasshouse.
Agreed, especially at those prices.
__________________
WINNIPEG: Home of Canada's first skyscraper!
     
     
  #8331  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:08 PM
camzmac camzmac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 26
Skywalk at U of M

Construction of skywalk from building E1 of the Engineering and Information Technology Complex to Stanley Pauley Centre (high voltage lab) at University of Manitoba (my own photo, taken April 25, 2013)
     
     
  #8332  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:17 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
but you are not saving $. typically (but not always) condo's you get less sq ft for same amount of $. (ex) 1750 sq ft house with basement + yard might be $350k. But for $350k you are getting a 1300 sq ft condo with no basement, thus a lot less square footage for same price.
Still saving money. To me an investment is more than the space you have taken. The airspace in an established downtown neighbourhood where you are surrounded by everything and anything is far more valuable than a random neighbourhood in the middle of nowhere that has no distinct defining value, outside of being new. That and the fact that most people who live downtown also work and play downtown, that is much less time traveling which is in itself saving money (time is money). And on top of that the amount saved on what would be spent on gas. I am sorry but I would go Condo every time.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #8333  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:54 PM
benjennium benjennium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13
Does anyone know what's going up at the Gio's site? I believe they said the place was closing because the site was going to be cleared for an apartment tower. I haven't heard anything about the development itself, yet--has anyone else?
     
     
  #8334  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:43 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjennium View Post
Does anyone know what's going up at the Gio's site? I believe they said the place was closing because the site was going to be cleared for an apartment tower. I haven't heard anything about the development itself, yet--has anyone else?
There is nothing formally announced. That said, Hydro has been trying to expand a downtown core substation for many years meeting with lots of opposition to any plan it presents. The Gio's site is immediately west of a Hydro substation. While SoPo, Fortress, et all are all exciting developments they will be decidedly less exciting if there is not a reliable power grid backing them up.
     
     
  #8335  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:54 PM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There is nothing formally announced. That said, Hydro has been trying to expand a downtown core substation for many years meeting with lots of opposition to any plan it presents. The Gio's site is immediately west of a Hydro substation. While SoPo, Fortress, et all are all exciting developments they will be decidedly less exciting if there is not a reliable power grid backing them up.
Fair enough, but these kinds of developments should be placed in less visible areas instead of high-traffic street corners.
     
     
  #8336  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:15 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am sorry but I would go Condo every time.
Have you considered the common element fees that come along with condo ownership? Fees + taxes can easily approach $500/month, on top of a mortgage payment.

Just something to consider. And no, this is not negativity.
     
     
  #8337  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:28 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
As suggested by a MOD and posters I've moved my opinions to a catch all thread reg:costs/why live in the core etc...from the "Construction Thread"
Go here for opinions/reg: rents/property ownership/etc.. I thought This is what posters wanted?
Yes I'm sure I will be chastized for this but so be it.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6105039#post6105039
     
     
  #8338  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:29 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Have you considered the common element fees that come along with condo ownership? Fees + taxes can easily approach $500/month, on top of a mortgage payment.

Just something to consider. And no, this is not negativity.
Yes, but those in and of themselves can be considered a part of your investment. You have after all purchased the condo, therefore all of the maintenance that goes into the building is definitely worthwhile as it keeps your investment sound.

That would be no different than a homeowner having to dish out 10 000 for a new roof, or windows etc. The five hundred dollars isn't just money thrown away, it goes back into the building.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #8339  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:43 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
we faught for our eatons we fought we fought
to the brass we did
aloud we did
to points of no return
we still charish
a peac today
in walks above
to brass mans panels
to shine away our city grows
amongst as many polish to say hello hello
wishing aloud
our city be
our city be
our home our love
our shelt
our culture
we grow aloud to say we deserve our peac
to be what we want
a home to love
a home to live
a home to grow
     
     
  #8340  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Investment portfolios..can I discuss my RRSP savings in this thread/My TIFF reg: and how it will affect my bottom line? Never mind...I said I would be ignored...that's why it's kinda pointless posting about"Construction Projects", In the "Construction Thread" .Is everyone mad at me yet? After suggesting we move economics/and our bottom line to the appropraite thread? Never mind The MOD can deal with it..
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.