Considering Calgary's is not constrained by water or other geography, its core is surrounded by 360 degrees of develop-able land, and it's a young city that has developed during the automobile age, it's a marvel that they do have the amount of high-rise residential in the core that they have.
City planning has had some part in all of that. Although not a popular decision, the city a long time ago decided to limit parking downtown and promote light rail transit. Today you have an expansive LRT system and TODs that are evolving rapidly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay
Im not sure what you're trying to convey. Toronto has been building taller. Calgary has not focuses on its core anymore than most other Canadian cities. As you've mentioned: Calgary has an urban sprawl issue, so they are not building their city quite as 'right' as I would hope, nor are they learning from the mistakes of older cities in this particular sense.
I appreciate Calgary's forms of public transit. Older cities need more LRT lines.
Im not sure what you're trying to convey. Toronto has been building taller. Calgary has not focuses on its core anymore than most other Canadian cities. As you've mentioned: Calgary has an urban sprawl issue, so they are not building their city quite as 'right' as I would hope, nor are they learning from the mistakes of older cities in this particular sense.
I appreciate Calgary's forms of public transit. Older cities need more LRT lines.
I'm not sure that Calgary's all that bad as far as urban sprawl goes. Although Calgary is mostly low density, it is contained to a relatively small area. There are 1.1 million people living in an area of 272 sq. miles, while the rest of the metro area population (only around 120 000 people) are dispersed in a rural area of 1700 sq. miles.
Calgary's sprawl is fairly constrained as far as things go. There are some unfortunate exurban "acreage" developments mainly to the west of the city but it's not much compared to many North American cities. The biggest problem is the layout of the suburbs and the number of subdivisions with only a few entry points all separated by arterial roads. The newest ones seem to be of higher design quality though.
Fantastic shot Tone, one of the best Montreal skyline shots yet.
The 3 newest additions to the skyline already give it more robustness, something that was and still is sorely needed.
Looking at this picture, I realized how much that view is going to change soon when the CHUM is all built up. You won't see Complex Desjardins 3 or Hydro Q anymore, just a wall of blue glass!
^Great Montreal shot. I'm not sure which view I like better. I've seen some awesome ones from the top of Mount Royal, I like that view in particular because of the bridges and water. It makes it look very magical. Then again, this view looks great as well. As nice as the Montreal skyline is, nothing comes close to the street vibe of this city. So much fun
Fantastic shot Tone, one of the best Montreal skyline shots yet.
The 3 newest additions to the skyline already give it more robustness, something that was and still is sorely needed.
Looking at this picture, I realized how much that view is going to change soon when the CHUM is all built up. You won't see Complex Desjardins 3 or Hydro Q anymore, just a wall of blue glass!
The CHUM will be blue glass ? I'm not sure of that. But it will change that view from the bridge for sure. The CHUM is enormous.
The new super-hospital that is mentioned on here on a semi-daily basis.
__________________
Strong & Free
Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish
People talk about it often. Maybe not on this thread. But I see it mentioned often, I guess I should have said weekly/semi-weekly.
Ps. excellent shot of the Western edge of the Edmonton skyline!
__________________
Strong & Free
Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.