Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay
Im not sure what you're trying to convey. Toronto has been building taller. Calgary has not focuses on its core anymore than most other Canadian cities. As you've mentioned: Calgary has an urban sprawl issue, so they are not building their city quite as 'right' as I would hope, nor are they learning from the mistakes of older cities in this particular sense.
I appreciate Calgary's forms of public transit. Older cities need more LRT lines.
|
I beg to differ. Calgary has actually spent a lot of time and effort on the planning of its core, and its adjacent neighborhoods developing ARPs and plans. Master plans for neighborhoods like Kensington, Bridgeland, Beltline, East Village, West Village as well as general planning of the whole city with rail transit/TODs, etc.. Not only have they made these plans, but the have been executing them, which is a really good sign.
Yes, there is urban sprawl, and unfortunately there isn't a quick easy way to eliminate the problem, not just for Calgary but for all cities.