HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #941  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:54 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I have to disagree a bit there...I just had to travel to Halifax to Henry's to buy the lens I wanted last weekend, Future Shop didn't have it, Ivan's didn't have it (certainly no one beyond those two in this city would have it).

JL
I cometely agree on the Henry's issue...disappointing...although I bought my new T3i @ Costco (it was a great deal sorry!)...the accessories are more difficult to come by.

I was just trying to say we are doing decent with regards to different types of stores in general...also I believe there have been 2 camera stores closed in SJ recently (Blacks and an "Ivan's" type store)...so perhaps we should be happy to maintain what we have!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #942  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:35 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,328
This is apparently the last day for Zellers at Northwest Centre on Mountain Road. Good riddance!

Bring on Target!!

__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #943  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:28 PM
orgo orgo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Last day for the Fredericton Uptown Centre store as well. We should see some construction activity by the end of the month at the latest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #944  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:07 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why wouldn't they do OK? Wal-Mart does fine in Quebec. Costco does fine in Quebec.
Except when people try to start unions. Then they just close the Walmart stores lol. I believe it was Walmart that closed some stores in Sauganey.

I'm also kind of interested to see what's going in Champlain Phase 2. Anyone hear anything?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #945  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:26 AM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
RIP Zellers.

I know Zellers had many flaws and the place was rough, very rough around the edges, but it's been a staple of the Canadian retail landscape since 1931. It did not have many friends, but I'm sure it did have some loyal customers... even if every time I was there; the store was empty (staff & customers), cluttered, kinda shabby too and overpriced compared to the competition. Zellers you became irrelevant in the Canadian market, you are not the first and won't be the last... Goodbye old friend.


HELLO Target! I'm sure glad you're coming, I just hope you will give Walmart, Loblaws & Canadian Tire a run for their money. We, Canadian shoppers really deserve it. Please do what Zellers couldn't.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #946  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:51 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
if the reviews of the target stores from ontario are to be believed i think target is a dissappointment so far, 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 tagret fans who shop in the states say its not that great, perhaps they don't hav ethe same selection in canada, obviously the prices are higher
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #947  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I don't think it would reasonable to think that Target in Canada will be the same as the stores in the US. Selection will be different just like it is at Home Depot and Walmart in Canada compared to the US stores. Prices will be higher at Target in Canada in comparison to the US, just like it is for every other retailer selling both in the US and Canada. They will however be competitive with other Canadian retailers. The problem with this situation comes from the manufacturers and producers more than from the retailers, but I don't think this thread is for this topic. It's a can of worm not worth opening right now on this thread.

More importantly, it will take at least a year, at least from the "real" opening (April 2013) to judge how Target is doing...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #948  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:24 PM
JohnQCandNB JohnQCandNB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Expansion out of Quebec is already in the works. They are working on stores in Edmondon, Calgary and Vancouver..... Moncton is usually not what comes next

They have mentioned in the past that they may be looking at establishing a dozen locations outside Quebec. If their first expansion wave goes well, a New-Brunswick location may not be out of the question in a few years. They would fit in well in the Sobeys space in Champlain.. or as part of a retail development adjacent the downtown events centre. Simons stores are usually located either within suburban malls of in downtown shopping districts.

Simonds with their Stores in Quebec are all in downtown place. Sherbrooke, Quebec ( Place Laurier, 250 boutiques) Laval ( Carefour Laval, 350 boutiques)
Brossard ( Mail Champlain) Downtown ( the first in Eaton Centre )

They are building a new one, the biggest at the renovated Gallerie Anjou.

Simonds needs to come to Moncton they will have success there i think.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #949  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:31 PM
JohnQCandNB JohnQCandNB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Simons is just apparel (quality apparel), but not a real department store, also it's not very mainstream, it's very fashion and urban oriented. It's like a pricey H&M or Forever21, I like the brand, but I doubt it would do well here. It might do well in Canada's largest cities.
The Bay would be a welcome addition to Champlain or downtown Moncton, but I don't see Simons.
I think you don't know well Simonds store.

They have differrent variety of clothing and pricing.

This store sell clothes for anybody at good price and very various.

You can have 20$ sweaters to 150$ sweathers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #950  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:37 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQCandNB View Post
Simonds with their Stores in Quebec are all in downtown place. Sherbrooke, Quebec ( Place Laurier, 250 boutiques) Laval ( Carefour Laval, 350 boutiques)
Brossard ( Mail Champlain) Downtown ( the first in Eaton Centre )

They are building a new one, the biggest at the renovated Gallerie Anjou.

Simonds needs to come to Moncton they will have success there i think.
Not sure I understand what you are getting at, but as you pointed out in this post, they do have either downtown or mall locations... just as I was saying in the post you quoted. Montreal and Quebec City both have downtown locations, the others are in malls as you correctly pointed out. In Quebec city, the suburban locations are actually in Place Ste-Foy and in Gallerie de la Capitale. Place Laurier doesn't have a Simons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #951  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:28 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQCandNB View Post
I think you don't know well Simonds store.

They have differrent variety of clothing and pricing.

This store sell clothes for anybody at good price and very various.

You can have 20$ sweaters to 150$ sweathers
First and foremost it's called Simons, and yes I know that store very well, I've been there many times before when I lived in Montreal.

I still think they are not coming here, but I've been wrong before.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #952  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 12:11 AM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
First and foremost it's called Simons, and yes I know that store very well, I've been there many times before when I lived in Montreal.

I still think they are not coming here, but I've been wrong before.
Quite frankly, I do not think you are wrong on this one. For microeconomics, cultural and demographic reasons, among others I would be utterly astonished to see Simons expanding in Moncton.

After all, it took them 100 years to expand out of Quebec, I do not think Atlantic Canada is on the radar at this point.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Mar 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #953  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:38 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Quite frankly, I do not think you are wrong on this one. For microeconomics, cultural and demographic reasons, among others I would be utterly astonished to see Simons expanding in Moncton.

After all, it took them 100 years to expand out of Quebec, I do not think Atlantic Canada is on the radar at this point.
I agree with you that Simons is not likely to enter the Moncton market anytime soon. They have much bigger fish to fry in larger cities in the west, no question about that.....

I am surprised however that you list "cultural" reasons why they might not want to locate in Moncton. I would think that the ethnolinguistic and cultural make-up of Moncton (roughly one third francophone) might be attractive to a Quebec based retailer thinking of establishing a presence in Altlantic Canada.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #954  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:57 AM
Stirsnack Stirsnack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 28
Was shopping at the Power center this week and noticed Additionelle has closed their doors. Did they relocate ? My wife loved that store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #955  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirsnack View Post
Was shopping at the Power center this week and noticed Additionelle has closed their doors. Did they relocate ? My wife loved that store.
Fear not, the story is that Addition-elle is relocating to larger premises elsewhere in the mall (the former Jacob store next to Sears).

EDIT - I just noticed you were talking about the Addition-elle at the Wheeler Park Power Centre. I didn't know about that.....
__________________
Go 'Cats Go

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #956  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 11:49 AM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
The one in Uptown Centre in Fredericton closed recently too. Penningtons moved into their location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #957  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:08 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Champlain Update:
Black's is moving next to Glamour Secrets into the former Home Essence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #958  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:28 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Champlain Update:
Black's is moving next to Glamour Secrets into the former Home Essence.
Interesting. At least they aren't closing up shop. I wonder if the rent is less in that out-of-the-way spot.....
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #959  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:02 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
...Very possibly. Less frontage and smaller in size are all factors too. Sometimes it's not a choice to move, but a requirement or you're out... But on the bright side, sometimes you are not even offered a spot. Again I say, there is no need to expand at Champlain, they will weed-out what is not wanted or needed. Simple. Sought after tenants, less and less available space, the weaker will leave, higher rents, CF wins! This is not just applicable to Champlain, but to malls in general and is not a bad thing for the retail market of the region, since it will attract nicer and better tenants, if we may call them that.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #960  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 12:33 AM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
I sawe a post on someone talking about foot traffic in the Sobeys end of Champlain Place. I think the reason why that spot does not get that heavy traffic is that there are not alot of people going to the mall to do groceries and walking to their car to drop it off and i think that Sobeys does not fit in with the model that the mall is trying to bring forward. I think if you want to generate more volume on that end of the mall id to add some stores like a The Bay to generate volume. But I find whatever stores go to that end end up either closing or relocating somewheres in the mall. I think it is time for Cadillac Fairview to start looking at opitions to see what they could bring in to generate foot traffic there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.