HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #901  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:23 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I don't care who omitted us, but it s****!
Then the question is? Why were we omitted in the first place or are we just opening in 2014, hence the omission...
I don't want to start a whole discussion about this, but I thought to add this observation.
This PlazaCorp document states that the Northwest Centre Target in Moncton will open in 2013.

http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/New_Brunsw...nd%20Leasing%20Plan%20-%20Feb%202013.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #902  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:28 AM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I believe that Target Corp. knows when their stores will open more than Plaza does, well they should anyway...
The accuracy of that pdf document from PlazaCorp is as worthy as the paper it is written on. I'm not saying that Target is not opening in 2013. I'm sorry, I did not want to restart the "when it opens" topic again, but that media omission was annoying to say the least.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #903  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:19 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
target released these dates for opening in 2012

atlantic canada stores mostly seem to be set for Winter 2013 - they list three nova scotia stores for fall 2013 openings

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/07/...ening_in_2013_is_there_one_near_you.html

if you go to targets own site they don't have the same stores listed as they released in 2012 ex they only show one nfld store on their website but there were two slated in 2012...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #904  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 1:13 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Target.ca now states that the Moncton store will open in the fall of 2013. This addition or change seems to have happened in the past few days, hours...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #905  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 9:52 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Target to open in fall
Wednesday, March 06, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: Eric Lewis

Zellers in Northwest Centre closes in a week to make way for Target's major renovation

Major U.S. retailer Target will open its much anticipated Moncton store in the Northwest Centre on Mountain Road in the fall.

Target's first Canadian stores, three in southwestern Ontario, opened yesterday as part of a pilot project before more stores are opened across the country.

The Guelph opening drew more than 100 shoppers before the store even opened. There has been a high level of curiosity over how Target's prices will compete with rival Walmart and also how its prices will compare with Target stores in the United States.

Calls and emails to a company spokesperson for a specific opening date in Moncton went unanswered yesterday, but the company's website says the Northwest Centre store at 1380 Mountain Rd. will open 'in Fall 2013.' Like most Targets across Canada, the Moncton location is expected to include a Starbucks coffee shop inside the store.

Kevin Silliker, director of economic development with the City of Moncton, said in conversations with Northwest Centre owner PlazaCorp, he has heard that Target is planning a major renovation to the current Zellers space.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10727

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #906  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:33 PM
JasonL-Moncton JasonL-Moncton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 757
The major signage at the new Mapleton retail spot has been going up for the last week or so...I have to say, it's quite hideous...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #907  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:06 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
The major signage at the new Mapleton retail spot has been going up for the last week or so...I have to say, it's quite hideous...
I don't think it's complete yet, but yes I agree with you - rather underwhelming....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #908  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 8:18 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quick Mall Update

- Former Mica-Bella (filler store) beside Davids Tea is u/c...floor plan states it will be divided into 2 smaller stores, but no names mentioned.

- The moves of Addition-Elle and People's mentioned previously by MonctonRad will allow both stores to be larger than before.

- As of now the mall remains 100% occupied or u/c

Last edited by mmmatt; Mar 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #909  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 8:55 PM
curious curious is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 55
superstore zellers location

What will be going in there? Will superstore just expand like the one in Riverview?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #910  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 9:23 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Curious: the building owner lists that space as available for lease...it's 66,000 sq/ft and superstore is already 88,000 sq fr so this would be a huge expansion for them. I doubt they would ever take over the entire building but they may take over some of it if the owner is willing to sub-divide.

This is kind of an odd-ball space and it may take a while to find a store that fits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #911  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 3:45 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 431
Superstore won't be expanding into that space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #912  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 6:17 PM
JohnQCandNB JohnQCandNB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
What about a Simonds in Moncton?

http://www.simons.ca/

I think that could be a good fit for Moncton and only if the chain wants to go outside Quebec Province.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #913  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 7:06 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQCandNB View Post
What about a Simonds in Moncton?

http://www.simons.ca/

I think that could be a good fit for Moncton and only if the chain wants to go outside Quebec Province.
Expansion out of Quebec is already in the works. They are working on stores in Edmondon, Calgary and Vancouver..... Moncton is usually not what comes next

They have mentioned in the past that they may be looking at establishing a dozen locations outside Quebec. If their first expansion wave goes well, a New-Brunswick location may not be out of the question in a few years. They would fit in well in the Sobeys space in Champlain.. or as part of a retail development adjacent the downtown events centre. Simons stores are usually located either within suburban malls of in downtown shopping districts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #914  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 7:45 PM
FarmerTom FarmerTom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 191
The Zellers space on main street would be a good spot for a giant tiger, other than the fact SuperStore wouldnt want competition in the building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #915  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 587
I was at the mall last week and I saw that Fairewathers they are starting to take down and pack their loading racks for a maybe closure. I was thinking that would be a awesome spot to put either a Hollister ot even Abercrombie store in it. Also I was noticing even in the province of Quebec Hollister n'or Abercrombie has a retail presence in the area, that is just shocking. But have we heard of what else might be going into mapleton crossing or what he name is.
One thing that I heard the Goji's is openning another loacation in Moncton in the same location as strip mall at the corner of Wheeler and Mountain road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #916  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
As someone who is French I am entitled to say this; but I completely understand that some corporations don't want to do business in Quebec, with all their discrimination laws, regulations and barriers. This also means I'm against the Dieppe language regulation BTW. The government should not regulate what is written on signs or elsewhere, people could write it in Mandarin or Spanish for all I care, if people can't read it, they just won't go there. Our society needs to deal with more serious and pressing matters, than this. Bilingual services at the government level should be kept however, but private businesses are just that, private businesses.

So I'm not surprised that A&F or Hollister (which is the same company) is not in La Belle Province. I'm surprised however that Target decided to have locations in Quebec this early, I thought that Quebec Target locations would only open in a couple of years, we'll see how well this goes.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #917  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was at the mall last week and I saw that Fairewathers they are starting to take down and pack their loading racks for a maybe closure.
Jeez, they should just put this store out of it's misery already

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was thinking that would be a awesome spot to put either a Hollister ot even Abercrombie store in it. Also I was noticing even in the province of Quebec Hollister n'or Abercrombie has a retail presence in the area, that is just shocking.
Abercrombie is a long shot, but Hollister would be a good, attainable catch for the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
One thing that I heard the Goji's is openning another loacation in Moncton in the same location as strip mall at the corner of Wheeler and Mountain road.
Yes, and another location in Riverview apparently. Too bad they don't set up shop downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #918  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:46 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was at the mall last week and I saw that Fairewathers they are starting to take down and pack their loading racks for a maybe closure.
We've had differing opinions by various forumers as to the future of Fairweather at Champlain Place. Some forumers have had this store on the deathwatch for well over a year, while other forumers have insisted that they still have a three year lease on the space. Time will tell.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was thinking that would be a awesome spot to put either a Hollister ot even Abercrombie store in it.
There is a Hollister in Halifax, so I suppose it might be possible, but Moncton would by far be the smallest Canadian market for that chain, and that particular space is on the small side for Hollister as well. I would have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
One thing that I heard the Goji's is openning another loacation in Moncton in the same location as strip mall at the corner of Wheeler and Mountain road.
This is the unit that will be occupied by Goji's Frozen Yogurt at Trinity/Mountain. It's right next to All Things Olive.



I don't know where they are planning on opening in Riverview.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #919  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:01 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Highly unlikely that A&F or Hollister will come to Moncton, too small of a market and I recently heard on the news that sales at those stores are down in the US and that they would close some under performing stores, future expansion would also be concentrated overseas as it is the only place where these brands seems to be growing. I think A&F or Hollister might have seen their best days a couple of years ago, in the North American market anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #920  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,357
Regarding Simons, it is a Quebec based department store chain beginning it's expansion into the ROC. It will concentrate first in the major cities of over 1M CMA population, but when they do get around to considering a Maritime expansion, I think there is a reasonable probability that they might eventually consider Moncton.

The sizeable francophone minority population in the area would mean that a lot of people would likely already be somewhat familiar with the brand, and that along with the usual arguments over location and catchment area would be compelling. A store like Simons or the Bay would be a great fit as a retail component for the downtown events centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.