HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3701  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:50 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
What is the average height in Edmonton like compared to Vancouver? both seem to have similar height for most towers, and a 200m tower in Ed would probably dominate like Shangri-La does in Vancouver.
Vancouver has a ton 100-130m where as Edmonton has many in the 45-70m and 14 over 100m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Edmonton
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #3702  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:19 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,074
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #3703  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:32 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Much of Manhattan is a tabletop and I love it. It is the screen shot for all Miramax movie projects and always reminds of the view from crescent hill in Calgary

Yes I know Manhattan is a billion times larger than Calgary's downtown. Its off the charts.

• Video Link


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
CAlgary is definitely getting to be more of a tabletop, 225-Sixth will be pretty much the same height as the Bow and Suncor, and with Bankers Hall and EAP1 at about the same height, we are definitely starting to see a plateau effect.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #3704  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
You don't seem to have your facts right...


Both Vancouver and Montreal each have a building over 200 meters (Vancouver - 201, Montreal - 205), plus Montreal's second tallest is 230 meters if you include the architectural spire (like most American 🞵🞵🞵🞵-measuring contests, I mean building heights do).

Edmonton has a serious proposal for a 161 meter tower.

Winnipeg has recently (2006) had a proposal for a 180 meter tower, though it was reduced to 113 meters, currently has a tentative proposal that could end up being its new tallest building (over 130 m).

Regina is 200 000 people, so why would you expect that it would have a 100+ meter tower anytime soon when some of our larger cities (Victoria, Halifax) don't even have them yet.

Ottawa has proposals for 2 towers over 120 meters right now.

Halifax is retrofitting its current tallest which will be over 100 meters when complete, plus its new tallest which will begin next year, will be 110 meters.

I love how you belittle Herald Square (the blue glass box) because of it's design, even thought it is more imaginative than 90% of the projects built in Toronto since 2004.


and, Tulsa is in Oklahoma, not Ohio, and it is the state's primary business centre, that's why it has more tall buildings than Oklahoma City(even though OC just recently completed their first 200+ meter building).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
I feel like every Canadian city is afraid of height. Compared to the US anyway.

Vancouver and Montreal are building tons of buildings yet nothing will ever go past 200m.

Nothing will go over 150m in Edmonton.

Nothing goes over 100m in Regina, 130m in Winnipeg, 300m in Toronto, 120m in Ottawa, 100m in Halifax.

While the US has tons of cities with a 200m building, even freaking Tulsa Ohio!

Calgary is kind of an exception, but even their "super projects" (The Bow and that blue glass box I forgot the name of) aren't THAT tall.

Toronto seems to be waking up though.

Ottawa is the only city that really shouldn't be building tall.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #3705  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Really? Last time I checked, the Shangri la was 197 metres. And nobody considers the 1250 Rene-Levesque to be 230 metres tall. Shame really, the roof height of the 1250 is 199m!
     
     
  #3706  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:26 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Well with the structural crane it is 201 meters, but yeah, I guess I embellished a bit. At least I only got one fact wrong instead of all of them.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #3707  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Highly doctored, and yet quite beautiful. Looks like an image out of a 1920's German expressionist film.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Feb 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM.
     
     
  #3708  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:09 AM
Mrs Sauga Mrs Sauga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
I admit I didn't fact check. But I was speaking in more of a general way. So whether something is 201m or 210m, it doesn't change the overall POINT. Same if a city proposes something that is 180m, and it eventually scales it down to 115m, at the end of the day, it is 115m.

Thats nice about the Manulife 2 proposal for Edmonton, But 161m isn't much bigger than 150m, so I think the overall point still remains. I'd love to see a 200m in that skyline. Edmonton is a growing city and it seems like their office market is doing well, so hopefully it can amount to something.

I love Herald Square. I think its gorgeous. I didn't know what it was called so I just gave a very vague description. Just like if I forgot what Royal Bank Plaza was called I would describe it with "that gold triangular building". But next time I'll say "that beautiful blue glass box" so I don't offend anyone lol.

My bad about the state Tulsa is in lol.
     
     
  #3709  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:18 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Highly doctored, and yet quite beautiful. Looks like an image out of a 1920's German Expressionist film.
I corrected that for you :-)
     
     
  #3710  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:50 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Thank you
     
     
  #3711  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:39 AM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is the Muni-related height limit really the big bogeyman that it's made out to be when only two buildings in Edmonton are built up to the 150m limit (Epcor at 149m and Manulife at 146m)?

That argument would be more believable if there were > 10 buildings built up to 150m as opposed to just one or two.
150m isn't the only restriction, that just covers the core. There are two cone-shaped areas extending from the runways crossing over large parts of downtown east of 97 St. and between about 107 St. and 120 St. that are restricted to ~60m. It is easily observed:


Edmonton Skyline from Griesbach by bulliver (full size)

Given the plateau within that area, and the height that exists and being built just outside of it, I'd say the demand to grow beyond those restrictions is apparent.
     
     
  #3712  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 6:42 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Thank god. I like our stubby skylines. We dont have a big ego to prove I guess. Calgary has a table top skyline which is perfect. Nothing dominates which has a very democratic appeal.
Wow! My opinion/preferences couldn't be more opposite than yours kw. I hate "stubby tabletop", give me tall skylines with peaks and valleys please.
I guess that's what is interesting about these forums - all the different opinions.
     
     
  #3713  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 6:47 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Much of Manhattan is a tabletop and I love it. BE]
Once again - I don't like tabletop. That is why I much prefer Chicago's skyline to Manhattan's.
     
     
  #3714  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:39 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,135
Craner: Agreed! I think we might be cousins!! LOL.
     
     
  #3715  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:02 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
     
     
  #3716  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 2:51 PM
Andrewjm3D's Avatar
Andrewjm3D Andrewjm3D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
This makes me curious as to how deep the bedrock is for different Canadian cities... only on SSP could I admit this without feeling like a total 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
I'm not sure how deep it is in Toronto but at digs near the lake it seems much closer to the surface then further towards midtown.
     
     
  #3717  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:16 PM
Andrewjm3D's Avatar
Andrewjm3D Andrewjm3D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,702
     
     
  #3718  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:30 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
I feel like every Canadian city is afraid of height. Compared to the US anyway.

Vancouver and Montreal are building tons of buildings yet nothing will ever go past 200m.

Nothing will go over 150m in Edmonton.

Nothing goes over 100m in Regina, 130m in Winnipeg, 300m in Toronto, 120m in Ottawa, 100m in Halifax.

While the US has tons of cities with a 200m building, even freaking Tulsa Ohio!

Calgary is kind of an exception, but even their "super projects" (The Bow and that blue glass box I forgot the name of) aren't THAT tall.

Toronto seems to be waking up though.

Ottawa is the only city that really shouldn't be building tall.
Afraid of height in comparison to the US? I can't agree with you there especially coming from the GTA.

A lot of what you perceive as, "even Tulsa has a 200m building" has to do with supply and demand. Head offices are much larger in the States requiring a lot more space and larger buildings. Restrictive zoning only allow small areas of the cities to go high-rise meaning that land becomes highly desirable and the economic threshold in regards to height is drastically increased for these lands. In Toronto, you can build a 30 storey tower just about anywhere. Look at Solaris in Scarborough as an example.
     
     
  #3719  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:55 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post


Edmonton Skyline from Griesbach by bulliver (full size)
This is 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 awesome.
     
     
  #3720  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 9:12 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Edmonton is beautiful. I like watching this place change over time. We used to drive through coming from Fort St John and I would always ask if we could go downtown and see the skyscrapers. The mid rise condo district has a nice pedestrian scale. The view down Japer is very cool when driving in from the west.

For my 11th or 12th birthday I asked to go to Calgary....haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
150m isn't the only restriction, that just covers the core. There are two cone-shaped areas extending from the runways crossing over large parts of downtown east of 97 St. and between about 107 St. and 120 St. that are restricted to ~60m. It is easily observed:


Edmonton Skyline from Griesbach by bulliver (full size)

Given the plateau within that area, and the height that exists and being built just outside of it, I'd say the demand to grow beyond those restrictions is apparent.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.