HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6781  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:43 PM
morty morty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I'm really interested in the answer to that. Is it just because they're too expensive? Or does Cineplex somehow have first rights or something?
This Winnipeg Free Press article from when the Polo Park Imax was announced implies that it was a cost reason.

"Typically, Hollywood blockbusters released in Imax format have taken weeks or even months beyond their release date to reach the Portage Place venue after the films had completed their runs in larger cities such as Toronto or Vancouver. Marshall says Silver City will now get films in the Imax format simultaneously with the general release."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakin...-citys-second-imax-cinema-121984569.html


Imax film prints are, iirc, extremely expensive. I guess the owners of the Portage Place venue were buying used ones, effectively making it a Cinema City style second run theatre when it came to Hollywood movies.
     
     
  #6782  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:01 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
This Winnipeg Free Press article from when the Polo Park Imax was announced implies that it was a cost reason.

"Typically, Hollywood blockbusters released in Imax format have taken weeks or even months beyond their release date to reach the Portage Place venue after the films had completed their runs in larger cities such as Toronto or Vancouver. Marshall says Silver City will now get films in the Imax format simultaneously with the general release."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakin...-citys-second-imax-cinema-121984569.html


Imax film prints are, iirc, extremely expensive. I guess the owners of the Portage Place venue were buying used ones, effectively making it a Cinema City style second run theatre when it came to Hollywood movies.
That article does point out that Portage Place was still film while the SilverCity IMAX is digital. So perhaps an upgrade to the digital system was required to afford the first run movies (assuming the digital releases were cheaper than the film).

I wonder if there's anyone who'd be willing to invest in it? It doesn't fit the multiplex model that Cineplex and Empire like, but perhaps there is someone willing to make a go of it. I assume Forks North Portage has already looked for someone.
     
     
  #6783  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:16 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, one of the reasons they were having trouble is because that one hollywood film they show is rarely new, it's 3 months old because they can't get the first run movies (not sure why).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
That article does point out that Portage Place was still film while the SilverCity IMAX is digital. So perhaps an upgrade to the digital system was required to afford the first run movies (assuming the digital releases were cheaper than the film).
Pretty sure the digital issue is a big part of why Portage Place was not getting Hollywood movies when they were released. Movie distirbution, especially of the hot and in-demand movies is increasingly going digital and there are many articles about drive-ins and rural theaters facing this issue. I suspect the film versions were being held back for whatever reason by the studio.

One of the other aspects I have heard is that the studio's cut of ticket prices starts off crazy high, something like 90% of the ticket price, in the first week. The share the studio decreases the older the movie is. If there is also a fixed cost with renting a print, which would not suprise me, the relatively small number of seats at the Portage Place Imax could have been further squeezing them.
     
     
  #6784  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 8:10 PM
ScrappyPeg ScrappyPeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I am officially retracting my previous dancing banana.
I've only ever occasionally posted on this site - have been reading in the shadows for quite some time but this post forced me out into the open...

Maybe the dancing banana officially jinxed the whole damn thing.

I say ban the dancing banana!

I feel pissed off and I don't even know the details of what is no longer likely to occur.
     
     
  #6785  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 8:38 PM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
St. Charles Rendering Followup

     
     
  #6786  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:29 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
^ which puts a large grain of salt on any "development proposal" that may be on the books for this block.

If the owner cannot even release the funds to put in a sprinkler system - why would anyone take his development proposals seriously?

I hope he loses this building, before it burns down.
     
     
  #6787  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:33 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ which puts a large grain of salt on any "development proposal" that may be on the books for this block.

If the owner cannot even release the funds to put in a sprinkler system - why would anyone take his development proposals seriously?

I hope he loses this building, before it burns down.
Zaifmann was interviewed by CBC Radio this morning.

Apparently the building has been gutted completely to the brick/concrete and he claims that there are no combustibles (wood, drywall etc) in the building at all.

That said. I think the issue for me is not the fire hazard claims that City Hall is using as leverage so much as it is a lazy "developer" who doesn't want to put any money into his "investment".
     
     
  #6788  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:48 PM
Rudiger Rudiger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure the digital issue is a big part of why Portage Place was not getting Hollywood movies when they were released. Movie distirbution, especially of the hot and in-demand movies is increasingly going digital and there are many articles about drive-ins and rural theaters facing this issue. I suspect the film versions were being held back for whatever reason by the studio.
While movie distribution is mostly digital now, 70mm IMAX screenings are a different beast. There's no shortage of 70mm prints being sent out as it's a unique experience independent of IMAX digital. I imagine it has more to do with FNP running an entertainment venue without being willing to put the necessary resources behind it (and without the proper experience and/or expertise).
     
     
  #6789  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:56 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
I don't think it was a cost issue in the sense of FNP being cheap. I think it might have been a cost issue on the part of the distributor in not producing enough copies for every theatre. And the demand at Portage Place didn't warrant it being a first run theatre. I don't ever recall it being an issue of FNP cheaping out - it was an issue of availability. This was an issue way before SilverCity arrived.

I think.
__________________
For best results play at maximum volume.
     
     
  #6790  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:17 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I don't think it was a cost issue in the sense of FNP being cheap. I think it might have been a cost issue on the part of the distributor in not producing enough copies for every theatre. And the demand at Portage Place didn't warrant it being a first run theatre. I don't ever recall it being an issue of FNP cheaping out - it was an issue of availability. This was an issue way before SilverCity arrived.

I think.
I do remember reading that the one movie they did show first run recently was one of the Batmans, as Christopher Nolan considered IMAX to be the best way to watch the movie, and he made sure that it was at as many IMAX locations as possible.

So, that would likely agree with what flatlander has above.
     
     
  #6791  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:26 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Here's what was in a recent Winnipeg Sun article:

Quote:
“There were a lot of different factors at play,” she said. “We’ve had a number of losses over the years and no way to stem those losses. And we had an inability to secure Hollywood films, day and date (first-run). That was coupled with no increase in IMAX traffic — school groups that had come have declined.”

The IMAX that opened at SilverCity and is run separately has been able to get those first-run movies due to its “buying power,” MacKay said. Plus, other theatres have converted to showing the 3D features IMAX had also offered.

“We’ve been really committed to its upkeep and made a number of renovations, including adding a 3D projector a number of years ago,” MacKay said.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/01/07/portage-place-imax-closing
     
     
  #6792  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:32 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Zaifmann was interviewed by CBC Radio this morning.

Apparently the building has been gutted completely to the brick/concrete and he claims that there are no combustibles (wood, drywall etc) in the building at all.

That said. I think the issue for me is not the fire hazard claims that City Hall is using as leverage so much as it is a lazy "developer" who doesn't want to put any money into his "investment".
Unless it is a fairly unique building, chances are the floors and roof are constructed with significant wood components.

I agree with your last statement, however if this building sits vacant, the biggest threat to it will be a fire. Not to mention, a sprinkler system makes redevelopment of the building somewhat easier (less restrictive for materials).
     
     
  #6793  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:26 AM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I don't think it was a cost issue in the sense of FNP being cheap. I think it might have been a cost issue on the part of the distributor in not producing enough copies for every theatre. And the demand at Portage Place didn't warrant it being a first run theatre. I don't ever recall it being an issue of FNP cheaping out - it was an issue of availability. This was an issue way before SilverCity arrived.

I think.
Maybe the FNP knows that there is a big tenant interested in the that part of Portage Place (like H&M maybe) and now has an excuse to close and sell off. I'm probably just dreaming though.....
     
     
  #6794  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:09 AM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Maybe the FNP knows that there is a big tenant interested in the that part of Portage Place (like H&M maybe) and now has an excuse to close and sell off. I'm probably just dreaming though.....
Big time dream. The third floor has zero foot traffic. Considering all the vacancies that took years to fill in other parts of that mall that people actually walk by.
     
     
  #6795  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:12 AM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Maybe the FNP knows that there is a big tenant interested in the that part of Portage Place (like H&M maybe) and now has an excuse to close and sell off. I'm probably just dreaming though.....
It would be hugely expensive to convert that space.
__________________
For best results play at maximum volume.
     
     
  #6796  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 9:55 PM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
It would be hugely expensive to convert that space.
Exactly, I remember when it was built, I was only 18 then, but my dad was on the construction crew, that spot is a huge cavern once you remove the Imax part, it would work as a Multi Lvl store though, it is a massive amount of space, I would say before when it was just a big square cement box it would be a good 3-4 workable stories, In this I am including a floor, not just air space.

What would be nice is for the other theater to take it over, thus making that entire floor theaters, it would not take to much effort to convert it to a normal theater, just pull the IMAX film projectors out and throw in the digital ones we use at 90% of theaters now and done. Sure you would not get the IMAX experiance, but you still would have great seating, and a huge screen.

Also during the day, the space could be rented out for convention speakers etc.



OR


I LOL at this but have to throw it in as it is a PIE IN THE SKY..

A Indoor Waterslide Park.
     
     
  #6797  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:04 PM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Maybe the FNP knows that there is a big tenant interested in the that part of Portage Place (like H&M maybe) and now has an excuse to close and sell off. I'm probably just dreaming though.....
I do not know why people are so convinced H&M is coming here. Or we even need it. If it were to come downtown, you can really put a NAIL in the BAY and a lot of other retailers.

Take a look at this map link, it shows all the H&Ms in North america, Note, that they are all in dense populated cities of 1 million or more. Even Dallas etc doesn't have one, in fact they are pretty sparse and for them to even think of Winnipeg, they would need to be kicked over here by Ikea, being that they are both swedish lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hmusstoremap.png
     
     
  #6798  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:26 PM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I do not know why people are so convinced H&M is coming here. Or we even need it. If it were to come downtown, you can really put a NAIL in the BAY and a lot of other retailers.

Take a look at this map link, it shows all the H&Ms in North america, Note, that they are all in dense populated cities of 1 million or more. Even Dallas etc doesn't have one, in fact they are pretty sparse and for them to even think of Winnipeg, they would need to be kicked over here by Ikea, being that they are both swedish lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hmusstoremap.png
I know if we do EVER get an H&M in the near future, it wouldnt be at Portage Place. As far as "needing" a million people, that's what everyone thought IKEA wanted as well.
     
     
  #6799  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 11:39 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I do not know why people are so convinced H&M is coming here. Or we even need it. If it were to come downtown, you can really put a NAIL in the BAY and a lot of other retailers.

Take a look at this map link, it shows all the H&Ms in North america, Note, that they are all in dense populated cities of 1 million or more. Even Dallas etc doesn't have one, in fact they are pretty sparse and for them to even think of Winnipeg, they would need to be kicked over here by Ikea, being that they are both swedish lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hmusstoremap.png
This isn't true.

There are H&M's in Québec City, Dartmouth (Halifax), Windsor, Barrie, Kitchner-Waterloo, London ON, Kingston ON, even Fredericton, Dieppe and Red Deer all have stores.

There could, theoretically, certainly be a store in Winnipeg. H&M isn't even near the same "league" as IKEA in terms of mindshare nor carries similar product, so I don't see what the issue is no location existing in Winnipeg other than perhaps no one has both been interested in courting a franchise and met whatever franchise requirements the company has for store space and all that.

Mind you, I don't see no H&M in Winnipeg as a "hit" of any sort. I think IKEA is a more of a "jewel" for a city to have on a general retail perspective, but H&M, I never saw what the big deal is. I do understand and respect that there is a market for it, but the impression I get is that it is overhyped for what it is.
     
     
  #6800  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 AM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
....

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.