HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:13 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
As much as I dislike the convex side of the Bow, it is surely top of list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:01 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Nice Vancouver building. I like that wood is making a come back as a cool material.
Actually it's a Burnaby building as SFU is on top of Burnaby Mountain. teehee Beautiful building though. I love the UniverCity Village thing they built up there. It's won some pretty decent awards for planning and livability.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:08 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Wood looks good as long as it is maintained. I've never liked the look of weathered wood.
I'd make an exception for cedar. I love the silver-grey patina that it takes on with age, at least if it is fairly uniform.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 PM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Actually it's a Burnaby building as SFU is on top of Burnaby Mountain. teehee Beautiful building though. I love the UniverCity Village thing they built up there. It's won some pretty decent awards for planning and livability.
The building is in Vancouver, at the combo Great Northern Way campus:
From http://www.gnwtrust.ca/ with an arrow already pointing to the building in question:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:47 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
haha damn it! Well don't I feel like an —


That is an incredible pic of Vancouver though!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:57 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,861


The UBC (Lecky) Boat House is my nomination. unique floating buildings.

http://www.ubcboathouse.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:03 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The UBC (Lecky) Boat House is my nomination. unique floating buildings.

http://www.ubcboathouse.com/
It's nice, but pre-dates 2012 though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:30 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That building is also interesting at night, with blue leds or neon light strips all over it, which only show up a little bit in these pics.
BTW the structure above the first floor is wood frame.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:46 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Centre for Digital Media.

Ahh forgot about that one, thanks for posting. Here's some pics of it I took back in August. Gotta get some night shots of it soon though...:


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr


Centre for Digital Media Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:49 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
Four Seasons is great but I personally put Shangri La just in front of it.

Overall as far as buildings go in Toronto I'd say Sick Kids Research Centre is up there (if it's actually finished?).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:59 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
I don't think sick kids is finished yet, but yeah it's really cool. Both MaRS and Sick Kids will be top contenders for this year's coolest research buildings in the country. But I think the overall winner of 2013 will most definitely be L Tower, at least for me But who knows, Ice East might pleasantly surprise
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:53 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
Meanwhile, in London, ontario:

whitebeard flikr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 6:23 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Meanwhile, in London, ontario
Heh heh heh...London — so hard. Oh, sorry, no offence...you know what I mean. I really quite like London, actually, and it has good old bones, but not much is going on currently.

Kitchener-Waterloo is the opposite: it's desperately ugly and mostly suburban, but there have been a few cool developments lately. Though these are sadly overshadowed by the slap-em-up apartment blocks for students on King, University and Columbia streets that are a blight on the city (and humanity in general).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:12 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
^ They're just awful. Luckily there's the Barrelyards and a bunch of warehouse revitalizations in both Kitchener and Waterloo, as well as the recently completed Cigi campus, which I really like actually.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:04 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,075
Overall, the Bow wins in my humble opinion. For Quebec City, I hesitate between two corporate offices: either (1) La Capitale Insurance HQ or (2) GlaxoSmithKline's admnistration building, especially for its interior design.


(1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcanadian View Post


http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4...38.-2207520000.1357187313&type=3&theater



http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3...38.-2207520000.1357187425&type=3&theater


(2)





















http://stephanegroleau.com/blog/edifice-en-biotechnologie-interieur-ville-de-quebec/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:09 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Wood! I love wood, and I love how Quebec and Canada are using more of it in institutional and public projects!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:15 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Wood! I love wood, and I love how Quebec and Canada are using more of it in institutional and public projects!
Language professors hate wood, and they also hate Quebec and Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:50 AM
MexiQuebecois's Avatar
MexiQuebecois MexiQuebecois is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Monkland Village, Montréal, Québec
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Wood! I love wood, and I love how Quebec and Canada are using more of it in institutional and public projects!
That's what she (and 80% of SSP) said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:16 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,938
For me GlaxoSmithKline is the winner in Quebec city !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:22 AM
Simpseatles's Avatar
Simpseatles Simpseatles is offline
Wannabe Urbanite
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Waterloo/London
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Meanwhile, in London, ontario:

whitebeard flikr
What does this have to do with the best buildings completed in 2012!?
Last I checked those buildings were finished at least 20 years ago. The least you could have done was find some ugly buildings in London which were actually completed in 2012!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.