HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5921  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:38 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
You'll be waiting awhile. Let's hope that the Fortis retrofit goes quicker than the TD reclad. I posted in July 2011 (p. 131) that scaffolding had started on the Water St side of the TD building. So it's been 18 months and there's still a bunch of work to do (including getting the red brick off the top for Townie709... ).
Oh yes, I realize that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5922  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 5:44 PM
AllBlack AllBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Oh yes, I realize that.
Oh I know, and sorry if I came across as snide or as if I was breaking any news.

It just amazes me how slow the pace has been. I was speaking recently with an acquaintance in the commercial property management business, and he said that many TD tenants are unhappy. They dealt with leaking windows for years, then a lengthy construction period and (for a time) no windows at all. Several tenants were relocated to other properties during the process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5923  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:14 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
Oh I know, and sorry if I came across as snide or as if I was breaking any news.

It just amazes me how slow the pace has been. I was speaking recently with an acquaintance in the commercial property management business, and he said that many TD tenants are unhappy. They dealt with leaking windows for years, then a lengthy construction period and (for a time) no windows at all. Several tenants were relocated to other properties during the process.
Ha ha... no worries - I felt no snideness (not sure if that's a real word) from your comment. . I do agree the TD re-cladding is taking quite some time, although it does seem to be a pretty substantial project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5924  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:20 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
Most. Boring. Fight. Ever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5925  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:28 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Most. Boring. Fight. Ever.
LOL... If you're looking for a war of words on SSP - sorry, but you're probably looking at the wrong person. I guess this is how pacifists argue....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5926  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
I love it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5927  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:41 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
I love it.
I guess you're envisioning AllBlack and I sitting in a study with a cup of tea in our hands, smoking pipes and politely debating about the Fortis retrofit. Oh, and of course we have beards and British accents....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5928  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:47 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
And you're on an airplane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5929  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:49 PM
rwspencer38 rwspencer38 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 106
Surprised this hasn't been brought up as it goes before council tonight....

http://happycity.ca/blog/posts/2012/dece...ting-december-10th-to-fence-the-harbour/



Council plans to restrict the entire length of the harbour front except for harbour side park. I was in favor of the beaitful wall, but I dislike not having access.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5930  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:58 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Why are they doing this? It seems so backwards; a lot of people enjoy walking/jogging the harbour front.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5931  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:01 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
I already emailed the Mayor about it. Happy City St. John's has been encouraging people to share the opinion, whatever it may be, with council.

Mine was:

I just wanted to say, regarding the proposed fence for the harbour...

I completely agree that we need something attractive. The temporary fence that's down there looks like poverty. However, I seriously doubt we need to restrict access to a majority of our harbourfront. Other cities manage to restrict just a tiny portion of their harbourfronts. I bet we could accomplish the same.

Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful week and weekend!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5932  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:02 PM
AllBlack AllBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I guess you're envisioning AllBlack and I sitting in a study with a cup of tea in our hands, smoking pipes and politely debating about the Fortis retrofit. Oh, and of course we have beards and British accents....
Cool, kind of an Oxford Union thing. Though I think their debates aren't always that civil.

I agree Signal, a pretty boring fight eh?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5933  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:07 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
You'll be waiting awhile. Let's hope that the Fortis retrofit goes quicker than the TD reclad. I posted in July 2011 (p. 131) that scaffolding had started on the Water St side of the TD building. So it's been 18 months and there's still a bunch of work to do (including getting the red brick off the top for Townie709... ).
Finally, someone who understands me!!
Seriously though, they don't have to do that. Just give me a call and I'll do it for free!

And signal, I love your choice of words. "it looks like poverty" I don't know why I find it so funny, but I literally laughed out loud when I read it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5934  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:20 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
About the fence, I hate the fence that is there now. It really does look like poverty! and I like the proposed new fence, but I don't like the idea of cutting the public off from the vast majority of the harbourfront. That's one thing I love about Halifax that St. John's really, really, — at; the harbourfront! In Halifax, there are so many nice boardwalks, markets and public parks right on the waterfront. It's a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. Here we have a slab of concrete and an aluminum railing.

Yes, Halifax has a MUCH larger harbour and doesn't have to dock the ships right in the middle of everything. They have space to zone areas for shipping and others for public use. We don't. I think we need to revisit the ideas of the finger piers again. This would allow us to move some ships to a different area and free up a bit more area for public space. (even though theres not alot of area to work with!) Or, as mentioned before, if St. John's was to amalgamate with CBS, we could get oceanex to bring their buisness out that way (or even to Argentina or somewhere down there) thus freeing up a huge section of the harbour that we could turn into green space, a park, a street market, or even just a boardwalk with some nice restaurants or something.

We don't have alot of space to work with, and a new fence is necessary, but my advice would be to wait on the fence and explore other options before we shut off the harbour to the public completely
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5935  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:44 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711


wanna see a real fight on SSP .. stop by the Halifax threads and post .. well anything that could remotly in their insecurity indicate you are against something there (even if it isn't really against anything at all) ahahaha


sorry .. I may be bitter ..


well it's not in our culture to be fighting! at least not against each other! (unless you're a NIMBY) hehehe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5936  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:49 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Yes, We are nice to everyone here.. except NIMBYs and separatist Quebecers xD
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5937  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:51 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
I love Quebec separatists. They're my favourite mainlanders, by far.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5938  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:54 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Fortis Proposes New 15 Story Building Downtown!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/12/07/nl-fortis-building-118.html

Here's the CBC article! Wow, that looks fantastic. I never thought fortis could outdo the design of Fortis Place, but I think they just did! Looks like it will be called Fortis Center! will be a great addition to our modern west end! Let's hope it gets the green light eventually!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5939  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:55 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,344
What the...

How did a post from 2010 show up as brand new?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5940  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:55 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/12/07/nl-fortis-building-118.html

Here's the CBC article! Wow, that looks fantastic. I never thought fortis could outdo the design of Fortis Place, but I think they just did! Looks like it will be called Fortis Center! will be a great addition to our modern west end! Let's hope it gets the green light eventually!
huh? getting me all anxious and excited with a link that doesnt work!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.