HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5101  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 10:59 PM
christopher_chafe christopher_chafe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
SignalHillHiker absolutely love the majority of your pictures. Only wish you had to have cropped out that UGLY neon pink trimmed building in your picture of the TD building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5102  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 11:10 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320


Thank you VERY much, but... I put that building in there on purpose. I love it. A little taste of art deco in St. John's. I'd consider the old CBC building art deco as well. And there's one other obviously art deco one (though quite run-down) near Temperance Street on Duckworth. I enjoy them.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5103  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:35 AM
leo minor leo minor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Now if we can only start getting some nice Office Towers built in this city and other industries to open shop here it would be an absolutely perfect place to live.
I here ya. Further to the CBC story on exploration offshore. I find it interesting that Shell bought back into this basin, especially since they owned some of this land previously (they even drilled a well there a few years back w/o much luck).

Shell won't be setting shop here any time soon; they do all their east coast exploration in Calgary and Houston. Believe it or not, Exxon, Chevron, and Statoil do the same. Husky do some here and some in Calgary. I think Suncor do it from Houston, but I'm not too sure what they're at (they don't either). It has always amazed me that this is the case (it actually really bothers me).

That would be another couple hundred people working in the industry dt St. John's where they would be potentially putting money into the economy (rather than Calgary ).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5104  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 2:42 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Now if we can only start getting some nice Office Towers built in this city and other industries to open shop here it would be an absolutely perfect place to live.
I couldn't agree more! We're on the right track though! Fortis, Deacon, Hilton and 351 are all a step in the right direction! and once something is done with Atlantic Place, and when the Fortis Building/TD reclads are finished, The skyline will not be too shabby!

One thing that really irks me about our skyline is the literally every prominent building hovers around the 50m mark. We have no variation in our skyline. We need just a few taller office towers to even out the playing field, and we're golden!

I really hope (but highly doubt) the new municipal plan opens the door for taller office/residential development in the west end of downtown (Like at least 75-85m). We desperately need revitalization in that area! Not only office towers, but residential developments are also needed in the to build up a stronger downtown core. A wise man once said "Density is the key that opens many, many doors!"

That man is.. you guessed it, Me!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5105  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
christopher_chafe christopher_chafe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I couldn't agree more! We're on the right track though! Fortis, Deacon, Hilton and 351 are all a step in the right direction! and once something is done with Atlantic Place, and when the Fortis Building/TD reclads are finished, The skyline will not be too shabby!

One thing that really irks me about our skyline is the literally every prominent building hovers around the 50m mark. We have no variation in our skyline. We need just a few taller office towers to even out the playing field, and we're golden!

I really hope (but highly doubt) the new municipal plan opens the door for taller office/residential development in the west end of downtown (Like at least 75-85m). We desperately need revitalization in that area! Not only office towers, but residential developments are also needed in the to build up a stronger downtown core. A wise man once said "Density is the key that opens many, many doors!"

That man is.. you guessed it, Me!

There is hope for this f**ked up city perhaps then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5106  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 1:03 PM
Arrakis Arrakis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,352
Though it's not quite Miami here, 221 Duckworth Street was restored and is a great example of the South Beach Miami art deco style of architecture and colour scheme. Here is a link to a typical South Beach Miami Art Deco district building. Very similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slddigital/7042432097/

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
SignalHillHiker absolutely love the majority of your pictures. Only wish you had to have cropped out that UGLY neon pink trimmed building in your picture of the TD building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5107  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 2:21 PM
christopher_chafe christopher_chafe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Though it's not quite Miami here, 221 Duckworth Street was restored and is a great example of the South Beach Miami art deco style of architecture and colour scheme. Here is a link to a typical South Beach Miami Art Deco district building. Very similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slddigital/7042432097/
Somehow I don't think South Beach Art Deco is a part of our "heritage" though, and this building is in the heart of the "heritage quarter".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5108  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 3:17 PM
Arrakis Arrakis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,352
Not sure what the criteria is for a building to be deemed a heritage building, but 221 is pretty old, being built in 1947. I am not a big fan of the hot pink and turquoise colours either so if they were toned back with some more earthy tones, I think the building would like a lot nicer. I think it's cool to have diverse architectural styles downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Somehow I don't think South Beach Art Deco is a part of our "heritage" though, and this building is in the heart of the "heritage quarter".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5109  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:09 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Finally a new website! http://www.stjohns.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5110  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:16 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320


I got WAY too excited about that. Fantastic improvement. Great catch - and thanks for sharing!
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5111  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:19 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Finally a new website! http://www.stjohns.ca/
I noticed it earlier this morning, a huge improvement over what was there previously. Way to go City of St. John's!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5112  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:19 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I noticed it earlier this morning...
Hipster.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I get so embarassed when I crack myself up. You don't want to know how red my face is right now from laughing. Tears flowing. Yep... lol
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5113  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:42 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Here's a brochure the city is sending out regarding their blending of commercial taxes. It's a fantastic idea, I really like what Danny Breen has done since he became chair of the finance committee. I believe it was under him that they started consultations on the city budget and then started giving a more formal presentation of the budget like they do provincially. I would love to see him run for mayor, though I fear if Doc does run for re-election him and Breen will split the Progressive Conservaitve vote and hand the election to O'Leary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5114  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:57 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
I love the new website! It's about time!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5115  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 5:08 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Hipster.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I get so embarassed when I crack myself up. You don't want to know how red my face is right now from laughing. Tears flowing. Yep... lol
Haha... no problem. But if you did know me you'd probably say I was the least hipster person you know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5116  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 7:07 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
The new website is a HUGE improvement!! It was in desperate need of a huge overhaul and it got exactly that! Well done city of St. John's!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5117  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 1:09 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
Anyone know about this development or anyone can find out?
I really like this one but it's been almost a year now


Duckworth East - Hotel/Condo Development


Quote:
This proposed development consists of two five storey buildings on opposite sides of the street, located at the corner of Duckworth & Ordnance, and Duckworth near Hill O'Chips. The flatiron style building (south side) will be a condo/hotel with commercial space on the ground floor. The north side building is proposed for the site of the old east end fire station and will have two levels of parking with three floors of residential above.
taken from the first page

this along with the mariot and marconi MIX will dramatically improve duckworth street! then add star of the sea near by

here's a rendering I found in a telegram article:

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/20...cerns-raised-over-proposed-development/1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5118  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 1:43 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320
Haven't heard a word. What buildings, exactly, will it replace? Looks like Red Ochre Gallery remains, so I assume it would involve only destroying these:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,263.91,,0,-1.25

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,130.74,,0,-4.78

Is that correct? If so, bring it on. Great improvement. And it'll go well with the apartments and condos stretching on toward Temperance Street. It'll also increase the density of the downtown East End, which will frame our old town better.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5119  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 1:48 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Haven't heard a word. What buildings, exactly, will it replace? Looks like Red Ochre Gallery remains, so I assume it would involve only destroying these:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,263.91,,0,-1.25

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,130.74,,0,-4.78

Is that correct? If so, bring it on. Great improvement. And it'll go well with the apartments and condos stretching on toward Temperance Street. It'll also increase the density of the downtown East End, which will frame our old town better.
yup those are the ones, former fire station and former stip club
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5120  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 1:53 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Haven't heard a word. What buildings, exactly, will it replace? Looks like Red Ochre Gallery remains, so I assume it would involve only destroying these:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,263.91,,0,-1.25

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Duckworth...Jy4XsazcgkqahJsAA&cbp=12,130.74,,0,-4.78

Is that correct? If so, bring it on. Great improvement. And it'll go well with the apartments and condos stretching on toward Temperance Street. It'll also increase the density of the downtown East End, which will frame our old town better.
The last I heard the developer was in talks with concerned neighbors over potential privacy issues. Here's a link to the story in the Telegram (dated Feb 25, 2012):

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/20...cerns-raised-over-proposed-development/1
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.