HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #461  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:24 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I mean they are not doing themselves any favour, most people in Moncton don't even know what's going. The stores will be open and people won't know that it is now open. It will take months before things are really ''out there'' and people are aware, at least PetSmart and BB&B have signs, I think. Anticipation is one of the best form of marketing, just wait and see, Target has been planning their arrival since 2011, when it opens it will be insanely busy at the Northwest Centre store. Just nearby, Moxie's is now open and it's been known for a while that it's coming, people were talking about it last summer and people who did not know about the brand, researched it and looked forward to the opening. Anyway, we all get it, there is no point in me trying to prove my point again. LOL.

In other news, after reflection, JYSK would be a nice addition or Home Outfitters. I wonder how is Bouclair doing nearby? HomeSense is always busy and they have nice stuff, but my view of that Bouclair is just... meh. My wife doesn't even care to go there, only went once.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #462  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:38 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeWithCare View Post
Whats the deal with the completed for a few months building on the far end the new Mapleton developments? I read here it was supposed to be some store called Tag, now nobody talks about it or says why the building has been left alone for months.
Still supposed to be Tag as far as I know. They don't plan to open until the dust has settled around all the major construction. In fact, I don't think they plan on opening until after Christmas.

The construction delays have caused problems with this development. Henry's Camera has apparently decided not to come because of this. Osh Kosh decided to open anyway, but in the middle of an active construction zone (which I find a little comical). Tag might have wanted to open sooner but decided better on it.

Things will all be sorted out by next Spring I'm sure.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #463  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:46 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Comical indeed, I told my wife that Carter's was open and she was like, huh??? Does that building even have a roof, as of now? LOL. She went and thought it was hazardous to have this place open already, construction going on, materials, heavy machinery and so on, silly really. I think some tenants or possible tenants here are at their wits' end...
Not wanting to sound like a pessimist, but I don't think BestBuy is coming, just a feeling. I could be wrong, I've been in the past. The first store does have the BestBuy blue outside, but looks a tad bit small indeed as MonctonRad said.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 28, 2012 at 4:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #464  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:03 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
Exterior signage has gone up for the Bombay Company store at the Mapleton Centre. It would appear that this will be the next store to open in the development.

Also, about 80% of the parking lot is now paved.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #465  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:06 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
A vote of confidence today from Harvey's...I happened to ask at the drive thru if the current location will close when the new Trinity one opens. They said they will both remain open This will in fact make Moncton the only city in Atlantic Canada to have 2 Harvey's locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #466  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


For what it's worth, we are also the only city in the region with more than one Timothy's World Coffee location too.

We have two Timothy's (National Bank Building & Champlain Place). There's one each in Fredericton and Charlottetown. There are none in either NS or NF.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #467  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 11:56 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
A vote of confidence today from Harvey's...I happened to ask at the drive thru if the current location will close when the new Trinity one opens. They said they will both remain open This will in fact make Moncton the only city in Atlantic Canada to have 2 Harvey's locations.
There are no Harvey's in the entire province of NL; although, I heard there's one coming to St. John's soon, but that's just a rumour as of now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #468  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:36 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
There are no Harvey's in the entire province of NL; although, I heard there's one coming to St. John's soon, but that's just a rumour as of now.
You're not missing much.....
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #469  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:50 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331
The Bombay Company store is in fact now open at the Mapleton Centre. I had a look around this morning. Very nice, and a lot larger than their old store at Champlain Place was.

The Mapleton Centre is a hive of activity and I expect other store openings in the next few weeks.

Now Open:
- Golf Town
- Cleve's Source for Sports
- Ocean Trail Source for Adventure
- Moxie's Bar & Grill
- Carter's/OshKosh
- Bombay Company
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #470  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:50 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You're not missing much.....
I'll second that, those hamburgers are awful. I would much rather have a new Milestones or Kelsey's in Moncton than another Harvey's... I mention those because they are part of the Cara Group of restaurants which includes; Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Milestones, Montana's, Kelsey's and Coza Tuscan Grill.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #471  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:01 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


I second the Milestone's sentiment. I've eaten there a number of times in Ottawa, Toronto & Vancouver. It's one of my favourite upscale but casual dining chains. It would go very nicely out in Mapleton near Moxie's.

I have in fact e-mailed Milestone's a couple of times suggesting they think about expanding to Moncton. Perhaps if other forumers did the same, we could get the ball rolling on this.

There is apparently a Milestone's getting built in St. John's, so perhaps there is still hope.

BTW - has anyone else noticed how insanely busy Moxie's is so far? The parking lot is always overflowing and cars are forced to park on the roadway pretty much all the time!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #472  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:09 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Both of the new expansion strips at Northwest Center are now full...which leaves Subway, Dentist office, and Rogers still to leave, to make way for Target's expansion.

I'm wondering if these remaining tenants will fill in some of Plaza 1909? Not Subway, but the other two perhaps...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #473  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:11 PM
drewber drewber is offline
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saint Antoine, NB
Posts: 567
It's so close to the other drive-thru subway I would think permanent closure would be a better option. Or maybe they have some unknown deal with target to be located inside the store we aren't aware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Both of the new expansion strips at Northwest Center are now full...which leaves Subway, Dentist office, and Rogers still to leave, to make way for Target's expansion.

I'm wondering if these remaining tenants will fill in some of Plaza 1909? Not Subway, but the other two perhaps...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #474  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:13 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

BTW - has anyone else noticed how insanely busy Moxie's is so far? The parking lot is always overflowing and cars are forced to park on the roadway pretty much all the time!
It is so busy, we haven't ventured there yet. There is alot of room in Moncton for more chain restaurants like Kelsey's & Milestones and the Moxie's is another example of this. I hope more are coming!
Restaurants in the Trinity area are always busy, there is room for more competition, I will say it again, competition is good for all parties involved; especially for customers.
I would say yes to a Jack Astor's Bar & Grill.
And please, we have enough Tims, and no more Pizza Delights, Subways, McDonalds, Swiss Chalet or even a St-Hubert Express. We are saturated with those offerings for the time being.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #475  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:15 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
It's so close to the other drive-thru subway I would think permanent closure would be a better option. Or maybe they have some unknown deal with target to be located inside the store we aren't aware of.
Well given the number of Subways we have in the area (14?) I'm sure this location could remain somewhere near Northwest Center...perhaps if they split up the former Furniturama location next to NBCC?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #476  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:58 PM
JasonL-Moncton JasonL-Moncton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I would say yes to a Jack Astor's Bar & Grill.
And please, we have enough Tims, and no more Pizza Delights, Subways, McDonalds, Swiss Chalet or even a St-Hubert Express. We are saturated with those offerings for the time being.
+1

How about a Chili's, Appleby's, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse or 99 Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel (this would be a gold mine here)....and so many more!
__________________
Jason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #477  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 5:20 PM
gehrhardt's Avatar
gehrhardt gehrhardt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
+1

How about a Chili's, Appleby's, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse or 99 Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel (this would be a gold mine here)....and so many more!
I second the Cracker Barrel Idea. The closest one is Portland, and that's a long trip for lunch. They haven't expanded to Canada, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #478  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 6:42 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I'm 100% sure that Olive Garden, 99, Cracker Barrel and Longhorn is not coming here. Olive Garden have a few, very few locations in Canada (the other chains are US only) and I don't see them expanding in Atlantic Canada. I would not hold my breath for those here, Canadian chains yes, US chains I highly doubt it.
Chili's and Applebee's are few and very far between mostly in Western Canada, though one in Halifax. Applebee's is the only one in the list that could be found here IMHO.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #479  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:16 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,331


Agreed, but I would be very pleased if Applebee's were to come. The food is inexpensive but very good. I like the one in Bangor quite a bit. I find that the menu for the Applebee's in Halifax is not as extensive though. I wonder if there is a difference between the Canadian and American chains in terms of menu offerings?

Aside from Applebee's, I think we will have to concentrate on attracting Canadian chains to Moncton. Restaurants like Jack Astor's, Kelsey's and Milestones.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #480  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:17 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post

And please, we have enough Tims, and no more Pizza Delights, Subways, McDonalds, Swiss Chalet or even a St-Hubert Express. We are saturated with those offerings for the time being.
Agree with all those brands... except for maybe St-Hubert Express. I'm sure they would do great in Dieppe. It's far enough away from the Carson drive location and that one is always busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
+1

How about a Chili's, Appleby's, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse or 99 Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel (this would be a gold mine here)....and so many more!
Other "gold mines" would be either a Panera Bread or a Chipotle Mexican Grill.

I've seen both of those in the Toronto area, not sure how far they've ventured into Canada yet. They offer good quality fast meals and I'm sure they would be hugely successful in Moncton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.