HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4881  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:39 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4882  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:45 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Another great reason to go to Little Italy... the Zocalo expansion is complete!

This Just In: Zocalo all set for the indoor part of Edmonton’s year

Little Italy’s favourite gift and flower shop is getting ready for winter by putting its beautiful courtyard space under glass.

Zocalo, at 10826 95th St., will unveil the new space Friday with a grand-opening event showcasing all its usual great gift, houseware, tabletop and garden ideas, plus its former outdoor courtyard, now an extension of its interior space.

Owner Miranda Ringma says a polycarbonate cover has been added to join the two spaces, as well as glass garage doors on the front to enclose the outdoor space, where, in summer, a wide array of bedding plants and garden accessories are available as well as a few outdoor tables

...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/fash...or+part+Edmonton+year/7446826/story.html
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #4883  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:48 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4884  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:03 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Harsh reaction to Lamphier column on Edmonton's image problem.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/10...ournal-columnist-er-me-a-tongue-lashing/
     
     
  #4885  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:25 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4886  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:30 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,850
The crane going up on the Glenora Skyline site is quite tall. I almost feel sorry for the climb the operator will have to make in the winter.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #4887  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 5:08 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ it is quite tall. I noticed it while doing my rooftop inspections this morning. I guess they're trying to minimize the number of jacks they need to do ?


Now that the Coast hotel is going to be converted to residential, I wonder how that affects the Encore's marketing campaign as the tallest apartment building in the city ?
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #4888  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 5:10 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Tallest condo...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4889  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 5:15 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ I beleive the sign says "residential building"... it's still an apartment building... I guess they'll have to specify that it is a "condo" to be technically correct...
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #4890  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 5:17 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Documentary film on the Alberta Avenue revitalization now playing at the Metro

http://www.theavenuemovie.com/
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #4891  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 5:31 PM
DAVEinEDMONTON DAVEinEDMONTON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Wasn't this tower originally designed as an apartment building? The suites sure lay out like one, and not like a hotel.
This buidling was originally a high end apartment building prior to the conversion to a hotel. The owners, MacLab Enterprises, still maintain their head office in the penthouse of that building.
     
     
  #4892  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 7:52 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,850
Federal Funding for Amateur Sports

MINISTER MACKAY ANNOUNCES INVESTMENTS TO CREATE NATIONAL-LEVEL ROWING FACILITY ON LOCHABER LAKE NS

I wonder if the Velodrome/Cornation Park project will receive federal funding as it’s the only indoor facility in the country

http://www.acoa-apeca.gc.ca/eng/Agency/mediaroom/NewsReleases/Pages/3797.aspx
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #4893  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Just a few of Glenora crane and pearl



__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #4894  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:36 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Two tower cranes up at Westrich's Signature project in Windemere.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #4895  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:47 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Drove by today and saw that...those guys are on fire.
     
     
  #4896  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
Shots are a week old now, but I walked by last night and not much has changed.

__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
     
     
  #4897  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 11:57 PM
mcc16 mcc16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
Such a difference from the lifeless blank wall that was there before. I don't care what anyone has to say about this project...I've thought it was an improvement for this corner from the beginning. Hopefully we can get some decent shops in the fronting jasper.

Also, it crazy pearl has 14 or so floors left to go. In the picture above, count back 14 floors and it'll give you an idea of the big chunk left to go! Awesome.


As awesome as pearl is going to look with all the little short fatties around it... It's going to be exciting to get even more height downtown with encore. Just for reference, when pearl is at its full height, it will be half the size of the condo being built in Toronto near dundas square. I realize that's not going to happen here any time soon, but double the height of The Century or double the height of Quest is doable...and would not look out of place
     
     
  #4898  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
mcc16 mcc16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
I really have to start proof reading my posts... I always sound like an illiterate gangster when I read it over after I've already posted it...lol
     
     
  #4899  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
Gary1 Gary1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 63
Maybe first and Jasper wont be so bad after all. It' s also very nice to see the Ultima site taking shape.
     
     
  #4900  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:33 AM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
14 more storeys on the Pearl roughly looks like this. Likely higher because the penthouses would be taller, and all the roof frills etc.

__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.