HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1381  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:37 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259


It was my first time attending something like this, and I thought the process was fascinating. The architects from Pelli Clarke and Pelli seemed very open to questions and concerns from the community, and encouraged more public input via Facebook http://www.facebook.com/NewPerformingArtsCenter or their website http://www.utahperformingartscenter.org/ ...so even if you're an out-of-towner who can't make the face-to-face workshops, there are ways for you to contribute.

It was nice to see Future Mayor and T-Mac in person again, and there were several lurkers who hang out here but don't often contribute. It was a good nerdy time.

There were times that I felt like the conversation got derailed by people with very specific questions that could have been better resolved with a side conversation: things like the size and number and design of black box theaters vs rehearsal space, and what seemed like an endless discussion about semi trucks. But those were the concerns of those community members, so they're not invalid.

I was very pleased with the amount of time that was spent on Regent Street; they did talk about engaging Main Street and creating more porous connections from Main to Regent; but they clearly want to take advantage of the Regent connection from City Creek to Gallivan Center. The Retail Guy for the project was excited about the prospect of some south Regent Street restaurant (or something) that would pull people along that corridor. City Creek has done what it can to direct the eye and people towards Regent Street; now there has to be something there for them to see. In my notes that I submitted at the end of the evening, I said that ideally I'd love to see "small, unique retail spaces," along the lines of the stuff that's happening on the north and west sides of Pioneer Park--where Caputo's and that Belgian place and bike shop etc. are.

The architects seemed more excited about the idea of a Winter Garden as a lobby and walkway from Main to Regent than anyone else in the room, but that may have grown out of discussions at the first workshop. It does sound like they're working toward a shared lobby with the office tower, but they emphasized several times that the tower is a question mark--it's being designed by Hamilton Partners, and although Pelli is working together with them, any design questions are out of Pelli's hands. I tried to underscore that it would add visibility to the UPAC to have a nicely designed tower, with added presence on 100 South, but I think they already know all of that.

The green roof terraces and gardens came up several times, and the picture they kept using was of the High Line in NYC. Participants seemed to like that idea, possibly with an added retail component up there.

The parking situation for that block was described as ideal, with no need to spend money on additional parking; I was surprised that TRAX didn't come up as well, although the station already in place, I suppose that's a given.

For the most part, it seems like the UPAC project is in good hands. They seemed to understand SLC, the site, and the situation as well as any "outsider" could, and it was nice to have at least the opportunity to give our two cents about the process. There were a few times that they'd say something that just doesn't seem possible, like "Orpheum Avenue providing a good entryway to the Regent Street side of the theater," but those were only a few, and on minor issues.

I think that's all I got.
     
     
  #1382  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:41 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I love that they are talking about a mid-block connection of Main and Regent. They didn't mention a possible height for the office tower or additional timetables of when we might see renderings or demolition start, did they?

Most of their preliminary stuff (all of it, I believe) included an open-air mid block connection at about 150 S Main (just south of the Tribune Building) and an enclosed mid-block connection through the theater lobby/winter garden. So that seems like it's for sure going to happen. As sure as anything is.

No mention at all of the height of the office tower--they had a box standing in for it in the massings, but nothing really--that will all come from Hamilton Partners.

November 8 is the next workshop, at the Gallivan Center--they said things would be more finalized by then, but nothing about renderings or demolition.

Future Mayor/T-Mac ... did they say something was happening in March? Or did I just make that up? I probably made it up.
     
     
  #1383  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:44 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
No, no mention of height for the tower, the only things mentioned about the tower is that a different architect firm is working with the developer of the tower, that they are in contact with that architect, and what TMac said about possibly collaboration on a shared lobby/winter garden space.

There was also another connector from Main to Regent that would most likely be part of the lobby, allow for the Main St entrance and a Regent street entrance to the theater. This lobby space would skirt the northern portion of the site, just adjacent to the alley access under the former D News building. As TMac mentioned the loading docks will be off of Regent, towards the south end of the property, connected to the midblock walkway, and just to the north of the walkway, there are ideas that it would either be between the block box/rehersal space (which would be on Regent) and the back of the Tribune building, or possibly incorporated under the black box space.

As part of the mid block connector there would be open space "pocket park" that would encompass the area between the connector and the Walker Center garage. This overall open space would also connect to the service alley between Main and State.

I know it has been said many times on here, often times in jest, that "I wish the powers that be were reading this forum" well guess what, I have confirmed that they are.

As I was looking at the model, they had a small building where the tower would be located, and it was the height of the former D News (as mentioned they aren't involved at all with the development of that tower and simply put a piece in there that represents a building different than the current one, so please don't read into the "height of the D News" and freak out) I simply made a comment saying something like, pointing at the building "Can we make this a little taller, it would look so much better?" A woman from the mayors office, who seems to be sort of an information gatherer, ran the power point and took some notes etc, asked me "are you on the skyscraper forum?" I of course answered "yes, why?" Her reply was "I assumed you were when you mentioned wanting a taller model on that spot, because I have read the comments about that building and about the PAC on the forum" they apparently sent her to the forum to get a feeling of what is being discussed about the project. They obviously want to know what we skyscraper nerds think.
     
     
  #1384  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:34 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
I found Public Market Study on the RDA website meeting agenda minutes for the last meeting. It has a lot of information, and makes me very excited for the future of the downtown farmers market, and for a year-round market. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2012/BOD/100912/7C_PublicMarketStudy.pdf
     
     
  #1385  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:38 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
The architect from Pelli Clarke Pelli, Mitchell Hirsch, also stated that there is a possibility that they could try to save the barrell ceiling in the building next to the Prudential building. Nothing was for sure on it but it was mentioned as a possibility.

Here is a link to the architect's bio. I think we are in good hands.

http://pcparch.com/#firm/people/mitchell-a-hirsch-aia
     
     
  #1386  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:39 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
     
     
  #1387  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:45 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
The architect from Pelli Clarke Pelli, Mitchell Hirsch, also stated that there is a possibility that they could try to save the barrell ceiling in the building next to the Prudential building. Nothing was for sure on it but it was mentioned as a possibility.
I was just coming back here to bring that up.
     
     
  #1388  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:49 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Here is a link to the architect's bio. I think we are in good hands.

http://pcparch.com/#firm/people/mitchell-a-hirsch-aia
Wow. I really love the Adrienne Arsht Center for Performing Arts and the Segerstrom Concert Hall....if we ended up with something along those lines, with a tall tower attached, I'd be very very pleased.
     
     
  #1389  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:21 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I too like that one. If we could only transform Regent into a body of water. j/k, but I do really like the design. I also really like the Schuster Center, the Overture Center is a bit to boxy for my taste, but overall not to bad.

TMac or Jedi Kermit, did either you happen to catch an architectural firm name that Hamilton Partners is working with on the tower? I didn't hear anything but thought maybe I missed it, or maybe it slipped out in a smaller conversation. With the one tower development Hamilton has done, 222, I trust that they will not settle for a simple square box.
     
     
  #1390  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:42 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
I never heard who the architect is for the tower.
     
     
  #1391  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:20 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Wow. I really love the Adrienne Arsht Center for Performing Arts and the Segerstrom Concert Hall....if we ended up with something along those lines, with a tall tower attached, I'd be very very pleased.
UGH! I really HATE the Adrienne Arsht. It's too angular and not in a nice way. I don't use the word HATE very often, but I hate that one.

I previously looked at Pelli Clarke Pelli's website and saw all of their performing arts center designs. Almost all of them were awful little cubes. I was VERY underwhelmed. The one that did stand out was the Segerstrom Concert Hall.
     
     
  #1392  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:53 PM
Merewether's Avatar
Merewether Merewether is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 8410*
Posts: 201
Performing Arts Center input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Fyi, here is a link to submit any comments you'ld like to offer for public input on the UPAC:

http://www.utahperformingartscenter.org/workshop-feedback
or, if you like to legally scribble on walls see these panels on Regent St.

photo (2) by duckbay, on Flickr


photo (1) by duckbay, on Flickr

(someone asked me directions as I was taking picture and I forgot to check if there was chalk in the box)
     
     
  #1393  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:58 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
They also said that there would be a series of informal ambush-style workshops, where they'd talk to people on Regent Street, Main Street, the Gallivan Center, City Creek, etc. about what they'd like to see in the UPAC. I believe those were going to happen from October 15 - 30 at irregular times and places, so it'd be hard to catch one unless you're downtown a lot. Which you may be.
     
     
  #1394  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 9:34 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
...


I know it has been said many times on here, often times in jest, that "I wish the powers that be were reading this forum" well guess what, I have confirmed that they are.

As I was looking at the model, they had a small building where the tower would be located, and it was the height of the former D News (as mentioned they aren't involved at all with the development of that tower and simply put a piece in there that represents a building different than the current one, so please don't read into the "height of the D News" and freak out) I simply made a comment saying something like, pointing at the building "Can we make this a little taller, it would look so much better?" A woman from the mayors office, who seems to be sort of an information gatherer, ran the power point and took some notes etc, asked me "are you on the skyscraper forum?" I of course answered "yes, why?" Her reply was "I assumed you were when you mentioned wanting a taller model on that spot, because I have read the comments about that building and about the PAC on the forum" they apparently sent her to the forum to get a feeling of what is being discussed about the project. They obviously want to know what we skyscraper nerds think.
That's awesome!!! It must have been from my emails and info I submitted on the link. On the night before, I sent everybody on the Workshop contact list, and to Soren Simonsen of the City Council, an email with a link to our forum, and regarding my proposal to straddle the office tower over the UPAC. I also posted a link to this thread on the Workshop website portion where it asks for comments, etc. That's pretty cool. I am going to try and email Hamilton Partners to inform them of our discussions on this forum, and also to send them my design ideas.
     
     
  #1395  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 9:36 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
They also said that there would be a series of informal ambush-style workshops, where they'd talk to people on Regent Street, Main Street, the Gallivan Center, City Creek, etc. about what they'd like to see in the UPAC. I believe those were going to happen from October 15 - 30 at irregular times and places, so it'd be hard to catch one unless you're downtown a lot. Which you may be.
I think that's a really important thing to do. A lot of the general community is not going to go to a workshop.
     
     
  #1396  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 9:36 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I LOVE this idea. I want to run right down there and scribble all over those walls.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
or, if you like to legally scribble on walls see these panels on Regent St.

photo (2) by duckbay, on Flickr


photo (1) by duckbay, on Flickr

(someone asked me directions as I was taking picture and I forgot to check if there was chalk in the box)
     
     
  #1397  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Someone remind me, is it also Hamilton Partners that is building the office building on 1st south and 2nd east? If it is i have to assume that they beleive there is demand for both buildings. Although i would still rather have them combine the heights of both buildings to make the one on main street taller
     
     
  #1398  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Someone remind me, is it also Hamilton Partners that is building the office building on 1st south and 2nd east? If it is i have to assume that they beleive there is demand for both buildings. Although i would still rather have them combine the heights of both buildings to make the one on main street taller
NO, that's Boyer who is building on 100 s 200 East.
     
     
  #1399  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
NO, that's Boyer who is building on 100 s 200 East.
I went back to the first page of the thread to see if this building was there and it is not. Can we get the drawings posted there please?
     
     
  #1400  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 5:58 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
These walls are a homage to the work of Candy Chang:

http://candychang.com/category/projects/

She's been gaining notoriety with her public art projects. She visited the University of Utah last semester. She's done some neat stuff!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.