HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1361  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:22 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I wish I had more details I could share about these hotel projects. I would definitely share it if I could. I know all of them are franchises and two would be owned by the same company. They have built hotels all over the west including the one mentioned in St. George.

I do not think that the third hotel discussed will be a convention hotel but I could definitely be wrong about that. From what I hear they're on an accelerated time schedule, which tells me that they're probably not counting on public investment. Also all of the property in the area is zoned D-4 which only allows structures up to 125 feet.

Whether or not these hotels materialize as a "convention hotel" I will be very happy to see two parking lots in the downtown area disappear.

On a different note, we've also heard about more multi-family residential construction in the east downtown area. I don't know the exact addresses yet but SLC is raising impact fees on development beginning in 2013, so a lot of developers want to get their plans in before the end of the year. I will let you know when I hear more.
     
     
  #1362  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:31 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998


OK! So im a little confused now. Are you confirming that there is indeed a 3erd hotel project that is not a part of PEGDevelopment's $90M Project that includes the Hyatt & Marriott along 300 West and 100 South??
     
     
  #1363  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:36 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I am indeed confirming that a third hotel project may be coming. They have been at City Hall inquiring about building/development requirements for a property in the same area. I can't say exactly where as it isn't public information at the moment but will be if they submit for any type of approval or permit. This, of course, does not mean that they will not back out but it seems pretty legit at the moment.
     
     
  #1364  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:48 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
UTPlanner, thank you for confirming this. Hopefully we will hear more about this soon.

I have seen quite a few well dressed people looking at the area around Arrow Press Square. They were looking and pointing as to what could be located where. It is hard to state if this is a development group looking at options or just travelers speculating but I thought I would share this as I have seen the same group 3 times and a seperate group once all looking at the same area with similar pointing.
     
     
  #1365  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:51 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
UTPlanner, thank you for confirming this. Hopefully we will hear more about this soon.

I have seen quite a few well dressed people looking at the area around Arrow Press Square. They were looking and pointing as to what could be located where. It is hard to state if this is a development group looking at options or just travelers speculating but I thought I would share this as I have seen the same group 3 times and a seperate group once all looking at the same area with similar pointing.
Can you capture one of them and keep them until they give you information? I've got a giant butterfly net if you need one.
     
     
  #1366  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:54 PM
Makid Makid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Can you capture one of them and keep them until they give you information? I've got a giant butterfly net if you need one.
Hehe, I don't think a net will be needed but next time I see them I will try to grab a picture with my phone.
     
     
  #1367  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Ok! I respect that UTPlanner cant say a lot.. So I'm going to play a bit of an assumption game.

the key phrases here are "same area", "D-4 Zoning", and "Parking lot"

blow is a map. the areas highlighted in purple are the D-4 Zoning in the area. The yellow highlighted areas are the parking lots within the D-4 Zoning. I left out the SW corner of 300W & 100S because that is already being used by PEGDEvelopment.

This leaves us with 3 locations. #1 is owned by the LDS church So I am going to put my guess on 2 or 3.

     
     
  #1368  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
I really doubt the Greek Orthodox Church would give up parking lot #3 so based on your map I would say #2.
     
     
  #1369  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
This will be much better then what we currently have at that location... It will at least block views of that ugly power sub station from the north and east.

I'm getting really sick of stucco construction though.. Hopefully the 90m budget allows for a nicer exterior.
Ninety million does seem like a pretty generous budget for the ordinary run of the mill franchises. I'm hoping for something other than stucco also. Maybe we should flood the developer with anti-stucco e-mails.
     
     
  #1370  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 5:42 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Fyi, here is a link to submit any comments you'ld like to offer for public input on the UPAC:

http://www.utahperformingartscenter.org/workshop-feedback
     
     
  #1371  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:51 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Do we know for sure that the vertical ribbing is going to cover the entire building? Looking at the renderings it seems like they are but i didn't know if plans had changed since we hadn't seen much of it yet. I agree that i thinik it will look better with it, it adds a little character to what otherwise would be a big glass box.

Yes, i know it is still a big glass box, but it'll be a big glass box with some decorations on the outside


This rendering below was the latest and definitive update. As you can see most of the surface is with the vertical ribbing. I like the variations with the pop outs. Also, it would appear there's a couple of different treatments to the finish on the glass, such as at the top. Very cool, and a nice change of pace for Salt Lake, IMO.

Deseret News
     
     
  #1372  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 6:59 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Ok! I respect that UTPlanner cant say a lot.. So I'm going to play a bit of an assumption game.

the key phrases here are "same area", "D-4 Zoning", and "Parking lot"

blow is a map. the areas highlighted in purple are the D-4 Zoning in the area. The yellow highlighted areas are the parking lots within the D-4 Zoning. I left out the SW corner of 300W & 100S because that is already being used by PEGDEvelopment.

This leaves us with 3 locations. #1 is owned by the LDS church So I am going to put my guess on 2 or 3.

Royal Wood Plaza is also mostly a parking lot.
     
     
  #1373  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:47 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
I wouldn't mind seeing some of that D-4 zoning changed to D-1. I find the height limit in that area a little out of date.

For those that are not aware of this site its helped me understand Salt Lake's zoning laws. http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=672 and a link to the Central zoning map http://www.slcclassic.com/ced/planning/documents/ZoningMaps/OldMaps/CentralCommunity.pdf
     
     
  #1374  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:57 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Is anyone at the PAC meeting? If so come introduce yourself. Light blue shirt, darker blue tie, douchiey nearly clear shades on my head.
     
     
  #1375  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:51 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
More talk of the Outdoor Retailer's Convention possibly leaving SLC if a hotel isn't built. Everyone seems to get it, so — is the problem, County?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55066685-78/salt-lake-outdoor-percent.html.csp
     
     
  #1376  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:54 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
How did the UPAC workshop go? Anyone?
     
     
  #1377  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
Yeah, I'm very interested to hear from those in attendance, some of the details, and what directions they are tending toward.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
More talk of the Outdoor Retailer's Convention possibly leaving SLC if a hotel isn't built. Everyone seems to get it, so — is the problem, County?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55066685-78/salt-lake-outdoor-percent.html.csp

Agreed!! Build the Convention Hotel, along with the addtional exibit space needed. The tens of millions generated by the Outdoor Retailer's Convention alone will pay for the majority of the costs, and we're not even talking about other similar sized conventions, who would also be attracted to Salt Lake as a result of the much needed expansions.

Good article, albeit most of what we have already discussed ad nauseum. Some good bullet points from the survey of attendees to keep in mind.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55066685-78/salt-lake-outdoor-percent.html.csp?page=1


Mike Gorrell, The Salt Lake Tribune

...So on Thursday, Outdoor Retailer officials released results of a survey of 2,300 participating members, seeking their input on whether the shows should stay or move.

The conclusion: While members like coming to Utah for the shows, there is plenty of sentiment that what’s offered here is too little for the shows’ ever-growing needs.

Too little space for exhibitors. Not enough hotel rooms close to the downtown action. Too few rental cars and taxis.

"We are a size-10 foot trying to fit into a size-8 shoe in all aspects," said Lori Herrera, executive vice president of the Outdoor Industry Association, the umbrella organization representing a high percentage of the companies and individuals taking part in Outdoor Retailer (OR).

What does OR need?

About 800 more hotel rooms than the 17,000 available now, said Liz Crawford, OR’s senior marketing director. And about 900,000 square feet of contiguous exhibit space, considerably more than the Salt Palace’s current 515,000 square feet. Less desirable space under tents in parking lots around the convention center does not count, she added...



Organizers of Utah’s largest trade shows (27,000 attendees at Summer Market, 21,000 at Winter) asked participants for thoughts about future show locations. Their findings:

■Salt Lake City is the top choice of retailers and exhibitors, if more exhibit space and hotel rooms can be provided

■Top rival Denver’s convention facility also is too small.

■28 percent of show participants are from Utah; 80 percent of them want Outdoor Retailer to stay here no matter what

■Among out-of-state retailers, 43 percent favor moving the summer show, 40 percent want to keep it here, the rest are unsure.


.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
     
     
  #1378  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:26 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
The UPAC workshop was really great. It was fun to meet-up with Future Mayor and Jedikermit there. It was great to hear from the architects at Pelli Clarke and Pelli. This workshop was primarily to go over what was discussed in the first workshop and then we went over various diagrams of what the space could look like. There were no real designs yet, only a massing of what could go where. Some of the key themes in the diagrams were to have a black box space, a green roof terrace, a winter garden space and a midblock walkway.
For the overall character of the building, the ideas are that the building should be "translucent, porous, inviting, interactive, glowing, bright, clean, elegant, intimate, not boxy, a nucleus for the cultural area, a memorable piece of architecture and an icon and landmark, with a 'Human Scale Vibe' and no back side."
The loading docks will be on Regent Street and there will be 3 loading docks and they will be enclosed so that when the trucks arrive, they will back in and then close the doors while the unloading takes place.
The Braza Grill building will be taken out and a corridor created to connect Main Street with Regent Street. Also that Regent Street come to life with possible lighting over the street like in the City Creek Center and also lit archways at each end of the street and possibly a couple more archways in the block as well. Retail possible on both sides of Regent.
Also, discussed was that there are currently other architects working on the office tower on the corner and there is discussion of possibly connecting the winter garden space with the office tower and stretching that space to the corner so that it is visible from City Creek Center.
These are some of the ideas discussed.
     
     
  #1379  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:34 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
Thanks T-Mac. Wow, I can't wait to see the design renderings. It sounds like this will be another fantastic landmark for Salt Lake's CBD. Jedi and Future Mayor, please add or elaborate...the more the better. I can't get enough of these possibilities, related to UPAC.
     
     
  #1380  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:24 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I love that they are talking about a mid-block connection of Main and Regent. They didn't mention a possible height for the office tower or additional timetables of when we might see renderings or demolition start, did they?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.