HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2341  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:22 AM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
As to where these were taken...

My first guess is Vantage Pointe,
2nd is Nova
3rd is Stella
4th Luna
I'm almost certain that it's Luna.

1. You can clearly see the Galaxie Diner on 11th Street SW in the master bedroom shot, witch rules out Vantage (the other three would be in the way).
2. Unobstructed view to the east, which rules out Nova and Stella.
3. The ATCO building is south of 11th Avenue, making that angle impossible from Vantage.
__________________
"The only thing that gets me through our winters is the knowledge that they're the only thing keeping us free of giant ass spiders." -MonkeyRonin

Flickr
     
     
  #2342  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 6:24 PM
Dylan Leblanc's Avatar
Dylan Leblanc Dylan Leblanc is online now
Website Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,598
From Witty in the Calgary section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Nickname View Post
The top skyline is from May 29th 2008 and the bottom was taken on September 2nd 2012.


Calgary: Before and After by Witty nickname, on Flickr

How many new buildings can you spot?
     
     
  #2343  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 6:51 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
As to where these were taken...

My first guess is Vantage Pointe,
2nd is Nova
3rd is Stella
4th Luna
Luna
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #2344  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:13 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
I have to say, i liked the Calgary skyline better before The Bow was added. Its placement on the edge of the CBD just emphasizes it's oversized-ness. I like the design, it's the proportions that are just wrong for me. I have been in neglect thinking that i have to love this tower because it is a Foster and Calgary's new tallest but i guess it was just time to come out of the closet. Maybe if it was tucked into the centre of downtown it would hide its girth better. Eighth Ave Place is a superb tower and is amazing on the skyline. I also think the beltline towers are really going to bulk up the shape of downtown rather than the way the rail line kind of stopped development height rather abruptly.

...either way, great pictures.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #2345  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:49 PM
vegeta_skyline vegeta_skyline is offline
Registered User, Maybe
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,257
Thank you for your honesty, couldn't agree more. While the building itself is world class(Calgary's equivalent to Scotia plaza, or TD center for those into modernism), its placement in the skyline is awkward.
     
     
  #2346  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:50 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,073
My opinion echoes the last two posted: great building, wrong location.
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #2347  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:51 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807


As if! There will be more skyscrapers built and the bow will suit it's surroundings better later. For now, it is one of the nicest office environments in the world with more development to take place in the future. How about just thanking Witty for his efforts and leave it at that. We all know how many people think it is too fat.......there is no point in beating it to death anymore. I swear it is the same people saying the same thing every time a Calgary skyline pic is posted.

Get over it.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #2348  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:51 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
225 Sixth (Herald Square) ought to help balance out the skyline a bit.
__________________
"The only thing that gets me through our winters is the knowledge that they're the only thing keeping us free of giant ass spiders." -MonkeyRonin

Flickr
     
     
  #2349  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:55 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
225 Sixth (Herald Square) ought to help balance out the skyline a bit.
exactly.........
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #2350  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:58 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,073
Well, as I have stated before, I think the building itself is great and looking at the pace of developement in Calgary, I too believe that the skyline will balance out eventually. That being said, I reiterate my opinion that as of now, The Bow stands out too much even if I like the overall skyline.
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #2351  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 8:07 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,073
Man, I am torn!! I would love to see some new towers being built in the historic downtown instead of Ste-Foy in order to refresh the skyline (and fill it out) a little bit but... at street level I like the downtown area the way it is and I really like the designs of the midrises popping up in Quebec City.


Quebec PM par S_Gendron, sur Flickr



http://www.flickr.com/photos/cid/208105048/sizes/l/in/pool-896869@N21/



Quebec la nuit. par Geneviève et Stéphano, sur Flickr
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #2352  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 8:19 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I'm almost certain that it's Luna.

1. You can clearly see the Galaxie Diner on 11th Street SW in the master bedroom shot, witch rules out Vantage (the other three would be in the way).
2. Unobstructed view to the east, which rules out Nova and Stella.
3. The ATCO building is south of 11th Avenue, making that angle impossible from Vantage.
Bingo

The Beltline area definitely has some of the best views of Calgary. I wish I lived there.
     
     
  #2353  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 10:50 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Man, I am torn!! I would love to see some new towers being built in the historic downtown instead of Ste-Foy in order to refresh the skyline (and fill it out) a little bit but... at street level I like the downtown area the way it is and I really like the designs of the midrises popping up in Quebec City.


Quebec PM par S_Gendron, sur Flickr


Whats with that big ugly tower throwing off the proportions of the skyline? Bad tower and bad location.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #2354  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 11:45 PM
Mrs Sauga Mrs Sauga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
Y so sensitive?
     
     
  #2355  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 11:57 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Man, I am torn!! I would love to see some new towers being built in the historic downtown instead of Ste-Foy in order to refresh the skyline (and fill it out) a little bit but... at street level I like the downtown area the way it is and I really like the designs of the midrises popping up in Quebec City.


Quebec PM par S_Gendron, sur Flickr
I've actually accepted that Quebec City's skyline is going to end at this, and I love it now. It is the first skyline I know of in Canada that we can all say will never change.

I love how Quebec's skyline uses the geography of the land to make certain towers look taller than others, or than they should be.

I even have come to accept Complex M, as far as brutalism goes, this one is top notch. But I still hate the delta.
     
     
  #2356  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 12:26 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,979
I have a Halifax photo thread here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201276

Here's a selection of skyline shots:









     
     
  #2357  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 12:54 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post


As if! There will be more skyscrapers built and the bow will suit it's surroundings better later. For now, it is one of the nicest office environments in the world with more development to take place in the future. How about just thanking Witty for his efforts and leave it at that. We all know how many people think it is too fat.......there is no point in beating it to death anymore. I swear it is the same people saying the same thing every time a Calgary skyline pic is posted.

Get over it.
I think you need to get over it.

This is a forum where people share pictures and opinions. Forumers are going to comment on the Bow's girth just like they're going to moan about Trump's ugliness and Vancouver's monotonous condo towers. If you can't offer opinions about architecture and infrastructure here, then where? It's the whole point of this website and it's what makes it interesting. Can you imagine if every time someone posted a photo or rendering, everyone just said "Great pic" or "Thank you!"? Ugh.

Stop being so sensitive.
     
     
  #2358  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
His comment was about the same people saying the same 🞵🞵🞵🞵 over and over.

Yes the bow is wide, it's also stunning in person from nearly every angle.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #2359  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:20 AM
vegeta_skyline vegeta_skyline is offline
Registered User, Maybe
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1,257
And what people might that be?
I think I might have posted my opinion on the BOW's placement in the skyline maybe once before in this forum in the last 3 years or more years(my only complaint about the project I might note). And not that I speak for Biff, but his comment doesn't come off sounding like someone who's a regular critic of it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Whats with that big ugly tower throwing off the proportions of the skyline? Bad tower and bad location.
Defensive much?
Seriously nobody here is dropping the kind of knee-jerk criticism that you just provided. I don't see anyone here saying that the BOW is an ugly building or that the skyline 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 because of where it is.

Just to make it clear, since I you seem to have missed this the first time. I think its an awesome building and the Calgary skyline is impressive and I would be proud of it if it was my hometown. But the one minor flaw, in my opinion, is its placement in the skyline.

You don't agree with that opinion? That's cool. But what's not cool is slamming someones else because of their opinion or getting all childish and insulting other skylines as a way to get back or something().

I'm a huge proponent of my hometown(Toronto) as well. But do I think the skyline is full of perfect buildings all perfectly placed? Not a chance in h***.

I don't mean to be rude, but like giallo said, you really need to get over peoples criticisms of it.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Sep 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM.
     
     
  #2360  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:27 AM
Robertpuant Robertpuant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 841
I stumble on a night shot of Toronto's skyline with Trump's LED lights all lit up. Is it still lit up or was this just a test and it's gonna be lit up latter when the building finishes?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.