HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4001  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
August 29, 2012 - St. John's, N.L.

I returned to Signal Hill last night to try a few night-time panoramas. It went much better this time with an improvised tripod, ha! Click on any image for the largest size available.







I'm really loving these panoramic shots SignalHillHiker... they're fantastic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4002  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
Thanks!

One from this morning... I happened to glance to my left while heading from Water Street to Southside Road and caught a glimpse of an unusual view of our skyline...


Density? by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4003  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
August 30, 2012

Click for the largest size available. A panorama of the view from Shea Heights:


Growing City by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And, a nice thing about 351 Water Street... when you're driving west on Harbour Drive, it appears to jut out from the rest of the street and really stands out:


351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

A series of three panoramas offering progressively closer views of old St. John's. Click for the largest size available.


The Whole Shebang by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Downtown by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Old Town by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4004  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:55 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks!

One from this morning... I happened to glance to my left while heading from Water Street to Southside Road and caught a glimpse of an unusual view of our skyline...

Wow.. this picture makes downtown look much more dense. I like it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4005  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:10 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321


I agree. Pity so many of our tall buildings are so unattractive.

The Fortis Building is my biggest remaining pet peeve. A entire wall without windows? FACING the rest of downtown? Who the **** approved that...

And the fly swatter... I forget what it's really called, something Hall, right? That's just hideous too.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4006  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:27 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Looking at those Panos, it brings to light how great St. John's really could look with some taller buildings to the west. Fortis and 351 are going to help, but just stare at those Panos from the Scotia Centre west. Now imagine the dense area where we have 351 going up, Cabot Place, the Delta, etc, and triple that in scope. You'd have some great looking density, while also having a very historic and older looking area to the east, directly under the basilica (with the exception of a few of the "skyscrapers" along the harbour that are already there). This area to me is the picturesque, heritage St. John's that people want to preserve, and won't be effected by some solid development on the west-end.

Personally, I like what I'm envisioning!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4007  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:30 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks!

One from this morning... I happened to glance to my left while heading from Water Street to Southside Road and caught a glimpse of an unusual view of our skyline...

Ah, you've found one of those magical angles which makes downtown look super dense

I found one last year at the base of Signal Hill Road, over by the battery



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4008  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:30 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321


Awesome! I love St. John's.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4009  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:12 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
^ Great photos and panos again. In the whole shebang, you can see just about every development, and almost every building in the city. Also, when you zoom in at certain angles it can really look like a different place.

I came across this article, a nice light commentary about St. John's -

Newfoundland Diaries: Screech, Jellybeans And Donnie Dumphey


Quote:
Posted: 08/30/2012 8:30 am
St. John's, Newfoundland, is a city that makes you happy just to be there.
Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-convissor/newfoundland-diaries-st-j_b_1804300.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4010  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:21 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321


Love it! Already posted to FB like I found it myself, ha! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4011  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
351 Water Street

They have a Newfoundland flag waving in the wind at the top of the crane now. Made me smile when I noticed it driving by.


351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Fortis Place


Fortis Place by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Pleasantville


Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4012  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 3:21 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,321
Just for your information, one of the oldest surviving homes with a known year of construction (1804) is for sale.


Anderson House by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4013  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 11:49 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
^ That house is small but has perfect proportions for its era, I think it may be the oldest or 2nd oldest - too bad there aren't more like it left. The colour of the paint is strong enough to hold it up.

In the fourth picture above, Pleasantville; I thought that area looks a bit like a village with the green of the golf course in behind it. The design of the houses looks simple but interesting, a bit like 1950's or English houses. However, I can't tell if we're seeing the backs or the fronts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4014  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 1:22 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ That house is small but has perfect proportions for its era, I think it may be the oldest or 2nd oldest - too bad there aren't more like it left. The colour of the paint is strong enough to hold it up.

In the fourth picture above, Pleasantville; I thought that area looks a bit like a village with the green of the golf course in behind it. The design of the houses looks simple but interesting, a bit like 1950's or English houses. However, I can't tell if we're seeing the backs or the fronts.
The back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4015  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 1:30 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The back.
Are the garages are at the back of the houses?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4016  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Are the garages are at the back of the houses?
Yes. It looks like there will be a road in between them, the houses don't look very good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4017  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 1:59 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Yes. It looks like there will be a road in between them. . .
It might be like a back alley with parking (lane) then, which is a very good idea for medium density like this. Having double wide driveways in front on the street every ten feet apart doesn't look good or make much sense.

Anyone know what type of housing this is; regular single family, condos, low cost, or public housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
the houses don't look very good.
I'm always interested in what people think good is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4018  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 2:10 PM
techie techie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Anyone know what type of housing this is; regular single family, condos, low cost,
I'm pretty sure they are two-storey, single family homes with rear access to those basement level garages. Built by Skymark Homes I'm pretty certain.

The land down there is being sold by The Canada Lands Corporation in small (15-30) batches of serviced lots with a lot of covenants as to what types of homes can be built on them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4019  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 2:22 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,076
So I guess the covenants permit this type of housing. The density is good if done right, but I don't know why there is never more variation (I think it is lazy development) - the units don't have to be all the same. I now think that it it looks rather Scandinavian as well, and that influence is also in the larger apartment building under construction (see link below).

This is the one being built:

Source: http://www.killamproperties.com/whats-new/view/?do-load=1&news.id=183

And this one is in Norway:


Source: http://en.veidekke.com/reports/2011/annu...rty-development/property_development_no/

Last edited by Architype; Sep 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4020  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 2:23 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I'm always interested in what people think good is.
They just don't look as good as some of the examples that were on the website. Every house is exactly the same style with faux rock on the front that looks out of place on them. I believe they were sold in the high $300,000 range, which isn't to bad of I price for a new house in that location.

I'll try to get a picture of them if I am out later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.