HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2661  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ COP is a bit of a joke compared to our river valley.... but yes the ski hills should be running lifts in the summer to shuttle bikers to the top (I did not know they were not doing this... seems like a no brainer to me) I do this almost every year at Silver Star... almost feel guilty doing it... it's all the fun and none of the work
COP is a short ,,,,short DH ride. When I raced I barely got warmed up before you were finished. They had to create quite a few elements to make it fun. Besides Whistler, Kamloops and Vernon have the best riding. The early DH run at the Nordic Centre was better than COP.

Problem with running the lift during the summer is the load factors and cost of manning and operating the facility for a few that would use it. The BC resorts are all Summer Winter facilities. Closest we have is Nakiska. And Nakiska has some wicked riding. The first Official DH Only race in Alberta was at Nak in the early 90's. It was a one off because of the injuries. We’ve learned a lot about ride DH since then. We were all still riding modified Cross country bikes.
Haven’t road Silver Star but Nordegg was always good for some riding and The Hinton Nordic Centre had my favorite DH course.

At the Level I was racing DH at was tough, you were bagged at the end of a day.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2662  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Hmm cool idea for the west end yellow head dump
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2663  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
I don't want to derail the thread much further, but I was disappointed when I started looking for places to go. Seems the closest place is Kicking horse ... which is where I'm headed in July...

Louise, Marmot, Sunshine? Come on. (Perhaps its some sort of national park regulation, and if so, Come on Parks Canada!)
     
     
  #2664  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Kicking Horse Resort is awesome!
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2665  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:36 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I don't want to derail the thread much further, but I was disappointed when I started looking for places to go. Seems the closest place is Kicking horse ... which is where I'm headed in July...

Louise, Marmot, Sunshine? Come on. (Perhaps its some sort of national park regulation, and if so, Come on Parks Canada!)
You can hike Louise and Sunshine, I'm not sure there are any regulations stopping you from taking your bike up the ski out and further cat tracks at Sunshine, but the slog up wouldn't be too fun.
     
     
  #2666  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:03 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Three bedroom apartments coming?
4/26/2012


The city will explore an incentive program that would see developers get a grant to build some high rise three bedroom apartments.

It's to give larger families a housing option they don't have now, because three bedroom homes are too expensive.

"It's not rocket science to believe we can come up with some inducement plan for that third bedroom," said Mayor Stephen Mandel while asking for a report during an executive committee.

"It might encourage people to develop it. If we do the first 300 or 200 or 100 or 50, but in restricted areas so we'd have to do it in high rises downtown; obviously on the airport lands, we don't want to start doing it every place because then it defeats the purpose."

Councillor Bryan Anderson wants to take it one step further, by creating residential housing on top of commercial properties.

In a 'What if?' moment, Anderson wonders what would have happened if there was housing at South Edmonton Common?

"Even if all of the owners and all of the tennants cooperated to build 'employee suitable' I think it would have been amazing instead of having people standing out trying to find rides when their place of business shut down to get home, we could have had a variety of different kinds of needs that would have made mixed use of residential above commercial very viable in this city."

Anderson says the Currents at Windermere in Edmonton's south west once considered something like that, but isn't pursuing it right now.
http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/LocalNews/Story.aspx?ID=1693387
     
     
  #2667  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:43 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I don't want to derail the thread much further, but I was disappointed when I started looking for places to go. Seems the closest place is Kicking horse ... which is where I'm headed in July...

Louise, Marmot, Sunshine? Come on. (Perhaps its some sort of national park regulation, and if so, Come on Parks Canada!)
After hearing what the Granfondo Banff had to go through to bring 1500 road ridiers into the park, I think anything in Banff and Jasper that would bring people in, is likely to get a lot of oposition from CPAWS. That said I have a great DH bike for sale
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2668  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:26 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
Granfondo Banff looks like a sweet route. I might be interested if back out west by then.

..... Anyways, getting back to Edmonton construction news.... What is the latest rumours with Ultima getting their zoning and setting up a sales centre?
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #2669  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:44 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
Granfondo Banff looks like a sweet route. I might be interested if back out west by then.

..... Anyways, getting back to Edmonton construction news.... What is the latest rumours with Ultima getting their zoning and setting up a sales centre?
Banff was 90% sold out 2 weeks ago, you might want to book now.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2670  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:17 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^^ From a permit standpoint Ultima is all ready to go.

The sales centre is coming along slowly... and seems a little bush league
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2671  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:23 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Here is a smaller condo complex that has been approved for 112th ave and 94th st in Alberta Ave, 4 sotry low rise with u/g parking

Looks somewhat similar to the "99" project that was recently completed in Strathcona

http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/InfraPlan/ZoningBylaw/DC2/mergedProjects/DC2new_part2/800/DC2_813.htm
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2672  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:40 PM
angelvs angelvs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Here is a smaller condo complex that has been approved for 112th ave and 94th st in Alberta Ave, 4 sotry low rise with u/g parking

Looks somewhat similar to the "99" project that was recently completed in Strathcona

http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/InfraPlan/ZoningBylaw/DC2/mergedProjects/DC2new_part2/800/DC2_813.htm
Awesome news for the area... that lot was always full of noxious weeds and used needles when I live up there, so this is quite a step-up. Would love to see some stuff like this go up in the wasteland of South McCauley and/or the McCauley Quarter.
     
     
  #2673  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:53 PM
Wrecker Wrecker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 98
There is always Tawatinaw, but closed already. Best skiing outside of the Rockies IMO

http://www.skitawatinawvalley.com/
     
     
  #2674  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:02 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
You can hike Louise and Sunshine, I'm not sure there are any regulations stopping you from taking your bike up the ski out and further cat tracks at Sunshine, but the slog up wouldn't be too fun.
I'm aware - but I'm not looking to hike up...
     
     
  #2675  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:46 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
No summer activity at marmot due to wildlife patterns from what I recall.

Same as why edithcavell was closed last year due to the impact on wolf patterns being negatively impacted.

There is insane biking on the bench, which is north above jasper and goes for .... Ever. The trails are redonkulous. Im not kidding when I say you can go almost as far as grande cache on those trails. Lots of bears though

Also good mountain (vertical down) biking from the top of signal mountain and down. It's fast. Easy to get to, there is a trunk road.
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2676  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:16 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
There is insane biking on the bench, which is north above jasper and goes for .... Ever. The trails are redonkulous. Im not kidding when I say you can go almost as far as grande cache on those trails. Lots of bears though
The bench is great for cross-country riding.

And give me time, but it's going to be awhile before I forgive you for using redonkulous.
     
     
  #2677  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:39 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Call it a brainstorm or brain-fart from me or whatever, but I wonder if more amenities, parks, attractions, resorts and recreational stuff would help shorten that long dreary drive through the bush to Jasper. The seemingly endless trek through bush and forest gives the impression there isn't much to see and do between Wabamun and Hinton.

Mind you, it's not as boring as the haul between Whitecourt and Valleyview.
     
     
  #2678  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:47 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Mind you, it's not as boring as the haul between Whitecourt and Valleyview.
Red Deer and Airdrie
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2679  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:51 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Mind you, it's not as boring as the haul between Whitecourt and Valleyview.
Hay River to Fort Smith? that is all.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
     
     
  #2680  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:52 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,848
Back to Construction talk.

Has anyone in the industry that has to deal with TAB contractors and is as frustrated as I am right now.

Another report and another long critical review. AAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.