Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA
I had a fun email discussion thread with the Transportation department over street sweeping last year. Basically they randomize the priorities every year, so as to appear "fair" to everyone. Fairness apparently doesn't take into account those who choose to pay more (in rent, housing cost, or taxes) to live more centrally and near services and/or those who have lived in a neighborhood for more than 30 years, or to neighborhoods better suited for walking, cycling and transit, neighborhoods which carry a heavier tax burden over time, etc.
|
They need to prioritize based on where the dust & grit interferes most with people who are being forced to breathe the stuff being kicked up by traffic & wind. They need to focus on main arteries, main streets where lots of people walk first. I am cool with my street not being swept until early may, but I do not want 82 street or 112ave, which has tonnes of traffic and lots of pedestrians waiting until downtown doesn't have a grain of sand on it before they start doing anything. Luckily the city has been out doing the major arteries and around the LRT stations.. at this point I think the city's cleanup efforts have been good.
Where it's not good is along the yellowhead, esp. east of the city. It's beyond gross.