HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:01 AM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
There is no 38th and Downing light rail station. Just saying, if you're going to criticize spelling, then you'd better get your geography right. There's a big difference between 30th and 38th on the ground. If you're professing to be an expert in Five Points, you'd better know that.

Lawson Park, really? Because it happens to be the nearest green space to our homeless shelters, and it's a nice out of the way place to sleep (and drink), it becomes evidence of a slum? I lived within sight of that park (across the street basically) for four years, never had a problem there. I am definitely no hipster, nor am I a pioneer of anything. And that park frankly didn't scare me a bit. It's a transitional area for sure, but developers don't invest what they have in that immediate area if it's a slum.

Far be it for me to quote myself, but I stand by what I and others said earlier, which I think is an accurate representation of the neighborhood (coming from someone who has actually lived there). So:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Great stuff!
...
I think Ken's right on, it's about 80% turned around. And maybe you did gloss over some of the rougher stuff.
As for Five Points being "largely slummy and run down" - you, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

It's also very difficult to argue that Denver has not respected the African American heritage of Five Points. Quite the opposite really.

(In a way, I wish it was slummy and run down. If it was, at the same time all of the so-called hipsters thought it was a gem, I could make a lot of money. But as it stands, I've been pretty much priced out of Curtis Park and the core of Five Points already. So much for the slum, aren't those supposed to at least be affordable?)

Last edited by bunt_q; Feb 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.