So I had my first exp using the new US area yesterday. Some thoughts and questions in no particulat order:
-it is goodly walk from the US checkin counters to the bag drop area - will the counters be relocated so they are closer to the bag drop?
-after the walk through the now boarded up area to the checked bag drop off belts, what puzzles me is no one asked to see my boarding pass or tags for the amount of luggage I loaded onto the belt (1 bag) but it could have been 2...with some device etc. So the bag went down the belt to lower level of YEG without a check that it was a tagged bag or the right number of bags (scary)
-Nexus was not operating...and everyone stood in the same lines for security screening - whats the point of having the Nexus card is your now being delayed at screening without a fast lane? All the security staff said they had no idea what was going on or why it was not operational. The people with Nexus were peeved. I have been using Nexus for years, and it fast tracked you before security, now it is only for use after security, right before US customs. I did see there was a set of machines that could/should have been used for Nexus - but if it is only going to be used in the morning now when it really is busy this defeats the use of Nexus for all other times. Counter productive. Even the guys at Security and US Customs said it was stupid and Nexus holders should complain.
-US customs area nice and functional - but it was before.
-The US departures area is a big improvement - but I do miss my Molson pub - a real sports bar atmosphere and Wings is not. Too bad really, Molsons was a cool place.
-Food choices full of carbs carbs carbs. Few items that are low calorie or low carb at any of the 3 places offering food - obviously EIA and their service provider are short sighted as to healthy food options (I googled the calorie and carb counts on Quizno and Chilis express sites but the YEG offerings do not provide the low cal/carb options available elsewhere) and I could not find info on Wings. One look at the menu and I realized there was nothing low cal/low carb.
-The Premium Lounge I checked out is very nice and right now has a 2 for 1 pass for the first visit for $29.00. I was alone so did not use it this time, but will in future and will plan to arrive early so I can enjoy.
-Shopping is somewhat of a disappointment - lacks a real bookstore. There is a place that sells a bit of everything, but it is not a bookstore and has limited selection.
-Duty Free is pretty small stuff...and the walk through it is annoying - IMO it is poorly designed and I say that being a global traveller. I don't want to be greeted by staff as a pull my carry-on through the narrow walkway the curves through the DF - that is like a timeshare pitch in a trapped alleyway...who the hell thought this was a good idea for the small little DF should be spanked.A full, uncover a large aisle of cigarettes on full display (I thought there were laws about having this shielded from view of underage persons?)
-I see the planning for future gates exists in 2 areas, before the Premium Lounge - but I question whether a dual bridge can be used now that the lounge is there...likely enough room for 1 plane only, and at the end where their are counters - which could be for future building expansion or simply a bridge, but this causes me to wonder about the area that wraps around headed back toward the central terminal which could also be used for a hotel or future gates to be constructed, assuming there is room for an apron to be constructed...someone in the know might comment on this please
-I am curious about the gates down from 76 on the other side of the glass wall..gates 70,72,74 (I think) that are ready for passengers, I assume these are for international flights or potentially could be for US flights if the glass wall is moved down. It looks like the glass wall folds/retracts into the wall as there is some sort of separate framing that indicates this.
-last but not least, I am puzzled as to the location of the Starbucks and the Artiza? women's kiosk as they block the views of the runways and obscure lighting, and appear to me to be in the way. Viewing from the opposite side, they appear as awkward spots from what otherwise may have been panoramic views through the curved curtain wall.
-all that said, this is a definite improvement, and small as it is, it has the clean, open feel with some "essential" services, however hopefully they will develop some additional stores as they appear to have room before duty free
-I wish EIA would not talk about completion of the expansion, and start to set the stage for what will be redevelopment of the older section and ties to the Marriott etc. The public should be told, that the airport will need to continue to evolve to meet the demands of increased traffic and the user experience
-our little airport is growing up