HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6521  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:19 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
Why would they do that Rocket? I think they want to either get new passengers from smaller cities that they don't currently service or want to use smaller planes on the shorter/smaller routes to free up the 737's for the longer/bigger routes. I could see this happening to the YEG-YYC route which would increase the freqency (same absolute number as the planes are smaller). How about you don't get so negative until we know more?
     
     
  #6522  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:32 PM
Clearshades Clearshades is offline
Clearshades
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Ab.
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
It may be the case of all the flights funnelling to Calgary.

Lets not get too excited
No one is exciting anything but asserting hypothesizing; why would they funnel people to Calgary with their regionional divission? That is what they are currently doing at the moment; so why would they establish something new to repeat?
     
     
  #6523  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:19 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
I agree Clearshades, I think this will be good for YEG, YYC, and YVR. I think we'll see more competition on routes with Air Canada from each of of the two triangles in Canada. I think over all this is going to be a good thing for Edmonton in general. I do think EIA is going to have to expand their North Piers sooner than later to adjust for these new aircraft. I see WS using YEG to funnel from the North, Northern BC, Northern Alberta to YEG on these smaller aircraft and then on to their 737. Fact is WS is not getting rid of their 737 and all their 737 are not going to work out of YYZ and YVR, I'm sure they would rather move some of those 737 on thinner routes on to future expansion routes that they couldn't serve. Right now they are using all their aircraft on routes. I think this year WS is "only" bringing on 3 new 737's, next year if they introduce the Props, that is going to free up quite a few planes on routes ... My guess.

Anyone flying out to the States this Saturday?? I'm leaving soon, can't wait to see the second part of the expansion.
     
     
  #6524  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:24 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Flying to Mazatlan via Kelowna tomorrow at 8am... looking forward to seeing how things are shaping up out there.. won't be seeing the inside of the US terminal unfortunately
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #6525  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 9:48 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
Medical flights to Edmonton Garrison
Alberta, Ottawa in talks to route medical flights to Edmonton Garrison
World’s fourth-longest runways could end controversy over closure of City Centre Airport


http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Albe...hts+Edmonton+Garrison/6121672/story.html

Sounds like a good Idea. But does this mean we still get the Medivac centre at YEG
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #6526  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:25 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
^ isnt there buildings constructed on that runway?
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #6527  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:55 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,629
^ Wouldn't need the entire length.
     
     
  #6528  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
^^no

^true

but if you wrecka my track, i wrecka your face


(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x164/coldrsx/namao/DSC_0704.jpg)



__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #6529  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:31 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
Why would they do that Rocket? I think they want to either get new passengers from smaller cities that they don't currently service or want to use smaller planes on the shorter/smaller routes to free up the 737's for the longer/bigger routes. I could see this happening to the YEG-YYC route which would increase the freqency (same absolute number as the planes are smaller). How about you don't get so negative until we know more?
I am seeing it as a continuation of the current hub system done by AC and WJ to cities like Van and Calgary coupled with the fact that WJ has created partnerships with KLM and other international carriers. they need passengers from somewhere and I believe the smaller planes will continue to feed the larger hubs - I hope I am wrong but I do not see it changing.

Just look at the latest announcements by WJ on their larger planes. Even through we have a bright shiny new air terminal not one extra new route has been given to YEG. Its all about business and getting the people to where they need to be to fill the planes.

AC has been the worst for Edmonton - Westjet not too bad but I still don't see them getting away from their hub based philosophy
     
     
  #6530  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
The new terminal isn't even open yet
     
     
  #6531  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:52 AM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Announcements are made well in advance and considering the majority of the new airport is opening up on sat not a peep so far.
     
     
  #6532  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:14 AM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
I guess you are right, we will never get a new route
     
     
  #6533  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:44 AM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Your right

Never again
     
     
  #6534  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:00 AM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
Your doom and gloom is unfounded and tiresome, leave that for C2E please.
     
     
  #6535  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:07 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Announcements are made well in advance and considering the majority of the new airport is opening up on sat not a peep so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
I guess you are right, we will never get a new route
Everyone knows the province will announce high speed rail tomorrow and effectively kill YEG. Rocket252 is just showing excellent foresight!
     
     
  #6536  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:08 AM
Rogie's Avatar
Rogie Rogie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 433
     
     
  #6537  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
Your doom and gloom is unfounded and tiresome, leave that for C2E please.
No doom or gloom. Just the facts.

No significant route announcements in some time despite many thinking that the new terminal will produce some.

I hope I am wrong and If we do get some In the next few weeks I would be the happiest person on this thread.
     
     
  #6538  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:23 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Everyone knows the province will announce high speed rail tomorrow and effectively kill YEG. Rocket252 is just showing excellent foresight!
I was hoping for Red Deer to have a Huge airport supported by high speed rail from Edm and Cal
     
     
  #6539  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:45 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,554
I don't have any stats but i would be curious to see what percentage of passengers fly business class from YEG relative to YYC. I would think that YYC has more business passengers and this is one of the many reasons that AC hubs through Calgary. But WS has no business class so should their flight schedule not reflect a 50 / 50 split between Calgary and Edmonton? With that question i would also be curious what percentage of flights WS flies out of Edmonton relative to Calgary. It definitely doesn't seem to be a 50 / 50 split.
     
     
  #6540  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:30 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
I would be more curious knowing how many routes are given to a city based on economic or political(competative) reasons.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.