To avoid writing another essay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk
Not at all, the Nose Creek alignment builds on the very thing that has made the C-Train so successful. The purpose of the
|
By what metric? Kim Jong Il was a successful leader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk
The word is transit and it can be provided in a great many ways depending on the community.
|
No, the word is public transit. As such a public good, and something that benefits society maximally when maximally accessible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili
In terms of a cost/benefit analysis it is absolutely fundamental to include as much as possible to reflect the entire system costs and not just a simply ROW cost analysis.
- Network effects of each option, such as "What is the marginal cost of the decrease in capacity on the NE line due to interlining with Nose Creek?" "What is the marginal cost for a new tunnel in the downtown due to additional capacity needed on 7th avenue"
- Incorporate an analysis of integration with the BRT network, especially the 16th ave crosstown route
- We also need to take into account single seat trips from NC Calary to the South Hospital/Foothills Industrial vs. transfers for the Nose Creek alignment (i.e. we need to incorporate a transfer penalty).
- Include consideration of through running trains through Eau Claire station rather than dead-ending them. Is there an operational efficiency that results from this?
- Include an analysis of marginal costs for maintenance facilities. Since the trains on the SE will be low floor, they will require a new maintenance facillity. So, what is the economies of scale savings from expanding the low-floor maintenance facility vs. the high-floor facilities at OBMF etc?
- Analysis of potential for added density along each route
Although I am a supporter of the Centre Street routing, it is because I believe that a full systems analysis makes it a better route. I could be proven wrong, but I think it is important that we consider everything when we examine the alternatives.
|
A good list so far. I'd also add the forgone accessibility to a line serving much fewer people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if an accounting of all costs and revenue to government agencies over the project lifecycle showed Centre St. to be cheaper than Nose Creek, or at least within reach. The benefits of Centre St. are clearly higher.
|
Good point.
If what a successful system is, is a predifined notion and doesn't take into account entire intermodal network effects, and the resulting interactions of land-use, I think it would be rather easy to steer a cost/benefit analysis to make nose creek a better option.
That being said, of course doing a cost/benefit analysis for all routes would be a neccessary step. The reservations I have though, is that it will turn that document into a be all, end all decision making tool and the tool will be created and used by someone/some group that overlooks many very important indicators, that are basically impossible to monetize or extend much further into the entire system than will inevitably be investigated. Based on retrospect of historical decisions made, this seems to have been the case then too.
I'm rather convinced that if you simpy look at capital costs, resulting load factors and subsequent fare-box recovery rates according to its then optimally based schedule, the nose creek alignment would win everytime in a cost/benefit. This might then also be called a successful system.