HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


    Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #841  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 5:56 PM
someguy someguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
I'm guessing they're pretty much done demolition! (?!) I passed (drove) by earlier last night, and there's no more track hoe (unless it broke down again and is absent for servicing!), just a huge, mostly rubble pile is left of the Plains Hotel! Now the cleanup begins! ...
The backhoe was sitting on site yesterday at the back of the site. Maybe it was there all weekend?

There is still lots of demo to go though, that building had a full concrete basement. You would think that they would dig all of the concrete out while they are at it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #842  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:00 PM
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
blacktrojan3921 blacktrojan3921 is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
The backhoe was sitting on site yesterday at the back of the site. Maybe it was there all weekend?

There is still lots of demo to go though, that building had a full concrete basement. You would think that they would dig all of the concrete out while they are at it.
Considering I think the complex has a multi-level underground parking. I imagine so
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #843  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 7:14 PM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 488
Will it rise?

THere was a full page ad in the LP on the weekend about Capital pointe. It was comparing this landmark to another queen city landmark, Hotel Sask. It took pains to point out that the Hotel Sask went through a slow start just like they did but it happenned and ended up being a city landmark. So hopefully the comparison turns out to be reality, this city does really need a new modern downtown hotel, that's for sure..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #844  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 8:44 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Hmm, interesting comparison. I like it.


and what's even more comparable... even if capital pointe doesn't get built (like the Chateau Qu'Appelle didn't) a bigger, better one will rise instead eventually.

It is completely inevitable for Regina to begin construction on a major residential/hotel tower within the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #845  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 8:55 PM
micheal micheal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Hmm, interesting comparison. I like it.


and what's even more comparable... even if capital pointe doesn't get built (like the Chateau Qu'Appelle didn't) a bigger, better one will rise instead eventually.

It is completely inevitable for Regina to begin construction on a major residential/hotel tower within the next 5 years.
The new central library is going to be a mixed use development of office, condo, and hotel. they have currently applied for a P3. Hopefully we hear some new on this soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #846  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:55 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
SEEE! exactly!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #847  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:46 AM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
The backhoe was sitting on site yesterday at the back of the site. Maybe it was there all weekend?

There is still lots of demo to go though, that building had a full concrete basement. You would think that they would dig all of the concrete out while they are at it.
Oops! Sorry! I passed by and only took a really quick glance! I have to concur it probably was there all along!

Yeah, I noticed a bit of the foundation poking up still intact. I would imagine they would have to clean up some of the rubble before they proceed working on demolishing the basement -- and definitely before excavating!

How long would it take to dig a pit for the 3 or 4-level deep underground parking garage? How extensive of an area would the underground parking garage cover? -- ie. Will it utilize the full area within the property boundaries, or a portion thereof? If they dig up to the edge of the property boundary, would they need to specially shore up the ground adjacent to the North Canadian Oils bldg, so as not to affect the stability of the ground in that area near their foundation?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #848  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:06 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
Oops! Sorry! I passed by and only took a really quick glance! I have to concur it probably was there all along!

Yeah, I noticed a bit of the foundation poking up still intact. I would imagine they would have to clean up some of the rubble before they proceed working on demolishing the basement -- and definitely before excavating!

How long would it take to dig a pit for the 3 or 4-level deep underground parking garage? How extensive of an area would the underground parking garage cover? -- ie. Will it utilize the full area within the property boundaries, or a portion thereof? If they dig up to the edge of the property boundary, would they need to specially shore up the ground adjacent to the North Canadian Oils bldg, so as not to affect the stability of the ground in that area near their foundation?
The full floor plans on are on the City's website and some are posted in this thread I believe. My recollection is the whole site is u/g parking. There will be major shoring to do.

I believe the part you saw sticking up is the old bank vault - you know, where they used to keep the most valuable sushi.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #849  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:45 PM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The full floor plans on are on the City's website and some are posted in this thread I believe. My recollection is the whole site is u/g parking. There will be major shoring to do.

I believe the part you saw sticking up is the old bank vault - you know, where they used to keep the most valuable sushi.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #850  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 6:12 PM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The full floor plans on are on the City's website and some are posted in this thread I believe. My recollection is the whole site is u/g parking. There will be major shoring to do.

I believe the part you saw sticking up is the old bank vault - you know, where they used to keep the most valuable sushi.
I love the magical peice of sushi that keeps re-appearing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #851  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 6:23 PM
Scruff Bucket's Avatar
Scruff Bucket Scruff Bucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 560


Arise, ye revered Sushi Bank from out of the rubble pile of ye old Plains Hotel location, as a shiny, renewed incarnation unto the new Capital Pointe!!

If they -- or any other restaurant -- do locate there, I'm sure it won't look so scary as it did before, and I'll actually try it at its new locale!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #852  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:45 PM
micheal micheal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post


Arise, ye revered Sushi Bank from out of the rubble pile of ye old Plains Hotel location, as a shiny, renewed incarnation unto the new Capital Pointe!!

If they -- or any other restaurant -- do locate there, I'm sure it won't look so scary as it did before, and I'll actually try it at its new locale!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #853  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:34 PM
Robag Robag is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina
Posts: 301
Drove by the Plains (Can't call it Capital Point until we see some building action) hotel site last night, and was suprised to see most of the rubble has been removed. That seems pretty quick to me. Anybody know what the next phase is and when it's supposed to start?

Last edited by Robag; Dec 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #854  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 9:40 PM
boborider boborider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 196
right after the retractable dome stadium is finished
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #855  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
^I was going to say that the next phase would be improving the surface for parking, but I'll be optimistic. The next step would probably be digging out foundation and then starting to dig and shore up the pit against the North Canadian Oils building and Belgian Cleaners. I don't know the timeline for actually starting to dig, but given past experience with this one, probably November 2012.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #856  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 2:36 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I was going to say that the next phase would be improving the surface for parking, but I'll be optimistic. The next step would probably be digging out foundation and then starting to dig and shore up the pit against the North Canadian Oils building and Belgian Cleaners. I don't know the timeline for actually starting to dig, but given past experience with this one, probably November 2012.
New surface parking is not permitted downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #857  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:00 PM
wacko wacko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 419
I see. So it's going to be a vacant lot. Those are permitted, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #858  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:30 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
Some have to wonder where all the negatives come from , give them a break they just tore down a major building ,iam sure that cost a few bucks to tear down , i believe the hotel will start in the spring
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #859  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:11 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Some have to wonder where all the negatives come from
Perhaps from the months and months of delays?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #860  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 11:57 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
Progress on the Plains

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.