Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P.
Shannon Park is a poor location for a stadium despite those who would shout down such views. Cold, foggy, and windy because it is next to the harbor. Poor access roads, and what everyone seems to forget, it is owned by the feds but is subject to a Micmac land claim. As a former military site it likely has significant contamination issues as they were not noted for respecting the environment back in its heyday. But the native claims are really the big problem - combined with everyhting else, it would cost zillions to obtain clear title.
|
(emphasis added)
This is why I'm being realistic about SP. I think a lot of the issues such as wind and road access can be solved through construction design, improving the existing roads - but I totally agree with you on the things I've bolded, those are the biggest issues for SP, not to mention the fact that Canada Lands hasn't been on board from the start.
If those problems weren't there and CLC was on board, then I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Either way, I'm finding it less likely to see a stadium at SP.
I guess time will tell how this all plays out, you never know. But what I meant by the expropriation comment is that if DCL didn't want them to use the site that the report focuses on, the city could always expropriate it. I agree, it would be the ultimate irony, but they have that in their 'tool kit'.