Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa
It is too bad they didn't try try to make it more of a destination like the distillery district that might attract tourists, out-of-towners, etc. While some of these stores are opening their first Ottawa outlet, they're all widely available throughout North America. Ironically, given how much they fought it, the projects seems mostly for the benefit of the Subaru-driving locals.
|
As a local who actually does drive a Subaru, I'm quite happy that there are tenants that will provide benefit to locals. I always thought that was one of the selling points of the project - it brought in services that we currently need to drive to the suburbs to access.
That said, I do think something like a Crate & Barrel will draw people in from around the region at least. In that way, and particularly given its location on the corner of Holmwood, it should act as a nice achor for the existing retail strip.
I don't think that a Distillery District is doable there, as the existing Victorian building stock was pretty critical to the success of that district in Toronto. To make a little pocket like that work, there has to be something of inherent interest to draw people in, like the old Gooderham complex. I'm not sure that there is anything of that nature at Lansdowne.
I've mentioned beforethat I do think that the vacated NRCan complex on Booth has the potential to be that kind of area. I have no faith in the feds to actually make it happen, but it has the history and architectural heritage (as well as the vacancy) to make it a good candidate. That's where I would like to see the kind of touristy district that you are talking about.