HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7961  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
If you don't mind riding TRAX through the free fare zone, you can just park down by the intermodel hub FOR FREE. I park across the street from where the last TRAX stop is located; that particular location has UTA police watching from the other side of the road and lots of lighting when it gets dark. You can even leave the car there over night (I have a nice car and have done this a few times).
When I worked in Murray, I would take the train to SLC from Clearfield, then drive from Central Station to work so that I had a car to use during the day, then after work I'd drive back to SL Central, leave my car overnight and take the train home. I literally left my car parked there overnight every weekday for years and never had any trouble.
     
     
  #7962  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 1:36 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Thanks for the tips guys.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #7963  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:01 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Where exactly is this parking by Central Station? Across the street from the UTA buildings on 600 West between 100 and 200 South? There are times when I'm working right in that area and I need to go down lower Main Street with TRAX. It'd be a boon to park right next to the station and not somewhere where there's a higher likelihood someone will pilfer something from my car.
     
     
  #7964  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:20 AM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
There is parking along 600 W., and in this parking lot across from the station:



It looks incredibly sketchy, but it has a chain link fence around it and a UTA parking sign and like I said, I parked there overnight for years and never had any issues.

The only thing I don't know about anymore is how or if the demolition of the ice company building on the corner affected the parking lot since I changed jobs and don't commute through there anymore.
     
     
  #7965  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:49 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Gallivan Plaza












Still the ugliest sculpture in SLC...












     
     
  #7966  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:03 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Questar + Courthouse

















     
     
  #7967  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:46 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
The Metro Condos and the new Questar Building play really well off each other; they've both really helped improve a formally bland block.
     
     
  #7968  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,741
Thanks John for the great pics. Agreed S.P., I'm very pleased with the entire look of Questar, it's detailing and the materials used. The Gallivan Center looks great also... I like the metal finish of the new structure on 2nd.
     
     
  #7969  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836


Didn't this building on 100 South have a mural on it?
     
     
  #7970  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537


The mural is on the other side


Thank you John Martin for the photo update! A lot has changed since I last saw every one of these structures. The Questar building has turned out better than I thought it would, and the Courthouse is really coming along (I'm pretty sure this building will look great when finished). I love the new building at the Gallivan Center. The entire plaza will be a great venue for weddings and other private and public engagements!
     
     
  #7971  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 1:01 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,741
^^^
^^^

I think it was Future Mayor who told us that the old facade is still hidden behind the faux front of the Dinwoody building. I hope someone brings it back in all it's glory in the not too distant future. It really was a stunning work of masonary art.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 20, 2011 at 5:41 AM.
     
     
  #7972  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:27 AM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post


Didn't this building on 100 South have a mural on it?
That is one 🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly building.
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
     
     
  #7973  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:58 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Dont judge a building by it's cover. Have you seen the interior? It's gorgeous!
     
     
  #7974  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:53 PM
NYC Rick NYC Rick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 387
Hmmm...

There is no question about it. It is 🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly.

To change my mind, I would have to see what you see as gorgeous on the interior.

Right now...you have to be kidding.
     
     
  #7975  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 3:23 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
This is the facade that it purportedly still intact beneath what we see today:


(decorated in the photo to celebrate Utah statehood)
     
     
  #7976  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:08 PM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Another


SLC Second Century Plan (text)
     
     
  #7977  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:27 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Why would anyone want to cover that up?
     
     
  #7978  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:49 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Did any of you ever read the book New Providence: a Changing Cityscape?



It's a full-color picture book showing the evolution of a fictional small American town between 1910 and 1987. Each page in the book shows a different decade of the city's changes.

We read it when I was in 4th grade in Pocatello, ID and that little book has probably impacted my sensibilities and career choices more than anything else in my life.

Its out of print, but I recently bought a used copy on Amazon.com and still love it as much as I did when I was 9.

Anyway, that picture of the Dinwoodey bldg. reminded me of one of the buildings in the book and made me wonder if any of you other urban design geeks had been converted by the same book as children.
     
     
  #7979  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:50 PM
tygr tygr is offline
Development Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Bring back the original facade. The current one just looks like a box with very few windows... nothing on the outside says "I've got great things inside."
__________________
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight, but no vision.
—Helen Keller
     
     
  #7980  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 5:25 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
I am curious how much of the original facade is actually under there. Usually when they open these covered facades they find 80% with a lot of big areas that were knocked off to flatten the surface. There was an aesthetic that I understand and even kind of love in the late 40's to early 60's from this time. A large part of it was driven by the war. After the war life was to be modern and clean and fast and sleek. New buildings built at that time I usually like. I'm an advocate for keeping them (new buildings) intact as a representation of the time and as an architectural legacy.

But this building is just a travesty however. The original building was, at that time, looked at with contempt as old fashioned and enough time hadn't passed to realize that it was a treasure. Worse yet the remodel is really ugly. All those vents mar the sleek intent of that type remodel. So it wasn't even done well in the first place.

Here's hoping they tear off that facade and see what's under it. And here's hoping they have the money and desire to restore it back to it's former glory.

BTW,I also can't believe they covered all those windows.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.