HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7941  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:07 PM
PlattParker PlattParker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilljemalm View Post
Until recently, I was a long time Denver area resident. The joke about the airport is, "Nice airport. To bad it's in a different state." DIA is not very convenient to the rest of the metro area. It's "way out" east, so much so that it's easy to guarantee that SLC's light rail ride from the airport to downtown will be much faster than Denver's train ride from DIA to downtown. The current plan is for commuter rail on that line, but it is a bit down the list of lines to be built. The light rail line to Golden is next, followed by a commuter line to Boulder. They keep getting delayed, however, by cost overruns (land prices shot up when the lines were announced) and NIMBY's.

As a side note, I pass through SLC's airport frequently. I agree with it needing to be replaced. I always feel cramped and crowded in it, although I find it easy to meet my connections there. Only two other airports give me the same cramped feeling - LaGuardia and Reagan National.
The East Rail Line to DIA is already under construction. It will be completed in 2016.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/ec_1
     
     
  #7942  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:08 PM
PLANSIT's Avatar
PLANSIT PLANSIT is offline
ColoRADo
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilljemalm View Post
Until recently, I was a long time Denver area resident. The joke about the airport is, "Nice airport. To bad it's in a different state." DIA is not very convenient to the rest of the metro area. It's "way out" east, so much so that it's easy to guarantee that SLC's light rail ride from the airport to downtown will be much faster than Denver's train ride from DIA to downtown. The current plan is for commuter rail on that line, but it is a bit down the list of lines to be built. The light rail line to Golden is next, followed by a commuter line to Boulder. They keep getting delayed, however, by cost overruns (land prices shot up when the lines were announced) and NIMBY's.

As a side note, I pass through SLC's airport frequently. I agree with it needing to be replaced. I always feel cramped and crowded in it, although I find it easy to meet my connections there. Only two other airports give me the same cramped feeling - LaGuardia and Reagan National.
Um, it started construction this year. The line to Boulder isn't fully funded.
     
     
  #7943  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 7:45 PM
skyguy414 skyguy414 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SLC
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

You think maybe we might see some of these renderings......next April?
I don't know when they will release it publicly. I don't feel comfortable just uploading the documents myself because it might be proprietary information. I will try and see if I can get some word on if this can be distributed or not.

If anyone is bored and interested in looking at one of the really old master plans from the early 90's (even before the master plan depicting the photos from earlier), go here: http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocuments/newairportmasterplan.pdf

Kindof interesting to compare it to what is actually planned. The old master plan is messy. I am glad they are doing a much more organized and streamlined plan instead.
     
     
  #7944  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
World Trade Center Utah: Connecting international business at the crossroads of the West

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70539...iness-at-the-crossroads-of-the-West.html

By Adam Wooten, For The Deseret News

“The California State Legislature is the greatest economic developer Utah could ever hope for,” quips Lew Cramer, founding president and CEO of the World Trade Center Utah.

As California’s government increases taxes and regulations, companies in Silicon Valley and the rest of the Golden State are increasingly looking to move to the business-friendly Silicon Slopes of Utah...



...The state has recently won many accolades in this area, including Best State for Business (Forbes, 2010), No. 1 for Best Business Climate (Business Facilities, 2011) and No. 2 Pro-Business State (Pollina Corporate, 2010)...

...For example, IM Flash Technologies, a joint venture between Intel and Micron Technology, choose to base its manufacturing in Lehi, Utah. In five years, the company’s flash memory market share has risen from zero to 15 percent, making its exports the majority of Utah’s nearly $2 billion in computer and electronics exports.

“Utah is the only state to double exports in the last five years, and we’ll double them again in the next five,” says Cramer...


.

.
     
     
  #7945  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 10:29 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
SLC to roll out pilot test of new solar-powered parking stations

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70539...-new-solar-powered-parking-stations.html

By Ami Joi O'Donoghue, For The Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — With an optional swipe of a credit or debit card, downtown visitors can test the efficiency and likability of 50 new solar-powered parking stations being rolled out Monday for six weeks as part of a test phase.

The city wants to see how well these state-of-the-art stations are received and if they ultimately accomplish the objective of making it easier to park downtown to shop, dine or conduct business...



Mayor Ralph Becker tries out a new high-tech, solar powered parking pay station in downtown Salt Lake City on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011. The city will start testing the new parking meters in a pilot program on Monday, Oct. 18th. They will accept multiple forms of payment. (Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)

Last edited by delts145; Oct 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
     
     
  #7946  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 1:55 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Downtown should have free parking. I hate parking meters.
     
     
  #7947  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 2:12 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Becker may want a new tailor.
     
     
  #7948  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 8:19 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Becker may want a new tailor.
The lens the photographer used is distorting that image. He's not really wearing a jacket made for William Howard Taft.
     
     
  #7949  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 9:56 PM
Neuroguy's Avatar
Neuroguy Neuroguy is offline
Frontal lobes required!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Provo Utah
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The lens the photographer used is distorting that image. He's not really wearing a jacket made for William Howard Taft.

     
     
  #7950  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:00 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
SLC to roll out pilot test of new solar-powered parking stations

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70539...-new-solar-powered-parking-stations.html

By Ami Joi O'Donoghue, For The Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — With an optional swipe of a credit or debit card, downtown visitors can test the efficiency and likability of 50 new solar-powered parking stations being rolled out Monday for six weeks as part of a test phase.

The city wants to see how well these state-of-the-art stations are received and if they ultimately accomplish the objective of making it easier to park downtown to shop, dine or conduct business...



Mayor Ralph Becker tries out a new high-tech, solar powered parking pay station in downtown Salt Lake City on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011. The city will start testing the new parking meters in a pilot program on Monday, Oct. 18th. They will accept multiple forms of payment. (Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)

We have these all over the place here in Portland. I like them because you can use a debit or credit card instead of change. Who has change all the time nowadays?
     
     
  #7951  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:22 AM
skierforlife17's Avatar
skierforlife17 skierforlife17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park City/Salt Lake City
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
SLC to roll out pilot test of new solar-powered parking stations

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70539...-new-solar-powered-parking-stations.html

By Ami Joi O'Donoghue, For The Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — With an optional swipe of a credit or debit card, downtown visitors can test the efficiency and likability of 50 new solar-powered parking stations being rolled out Monday for six weeks as part of a test phase.

The city wants to see how well these state-of-the-art stations are received and if they ultimately accomplish the objective of making it easier to park downtown to shop, dine or conduct business...



Mayor Ralph Becker tries out a new high-tech, solar powered parking pay station in downtown Salt Lake City on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011. The city will start testing the new parking meters in a pilot program on Monday, Oct. 18th. They will accept multiple forms of payment. (Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)
We have been using something similar in park city for years. They work well, I hope they introduce the charge passes, where you can minutes and display a little machine in your window instead of buying tickets if you park downtown a lot.
     
     
  #7952  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The lens the photographer used is distorting that image. He's not really wearing a jacket made for William Howard Taft.
Ha! I was more afraid that his head had somehow shrunk. Politics will do that.
     
     
  #7953  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:49 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
I just think it's funny that of all the places they could have taken that picture, they appear to be standing in front of Firestone tires.
     
     
  #7954  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 3:49 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Downtown should have free parking. I hate parking meters.
I have to disagree. Parking should never feel like a right. It is a luxury and should be payed for. You are welcome to ride Trax downtown and you don't need to pay for parking. Beyond that, parking meters keep stalls open and more available parking at any one time. These pay stations just make it way more convenient. I am surprised, however, at how distracting they are when you drive down the street. I know they are suppose to be visible but they seem garish. Maybe they are just new so I kept noticing them.

I believe the mayor has been bulking up. Maybe we have a steroid scandal looming.
     
     
  #7955  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:28 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
I have to disagree. Parking should never feel like a right. It is a luxury and should be payed for. You are welcome to ride Trax downtown and you don't need to pay for parking. Beyond that, parking meters keep stalls open and more available parking at any one time. These pay stations just make it way more convenient. I am surprised, however, at how distracting they are when you drive down the street. I know they are suppose to be visible but they seem garish. Maybe they are just new so I kept noticing them.

I believe the mayor has been bulking up. Maybe we have a steroid scandal looming.
Parking meters are not going to keep people out of their cars. If anything it keeps people from going downtown. Downtown should be a welcoming place. Theres nothing more annoying then to go to a downtown event and seeing all those parking lots asking $10 $15 per car to park on their lots. These greedy land owners have no reason to ask people to pay THAT much. Then theres those meter maids who go out LOOKING to write you up for somthing. And now trax will soon no longer offer the free zone downtown. Yea.....welcome to downtown where we are going to try to take as much money out of your pockets as we can.
     
     
  #7956  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:19 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Parking meters are not going to keep people out of their cars. If anything it keeps people from going downtown. Downtown should be a welcoming place. Theres nothing more annoying then to go to a downtown event and seeing all those parking lots asking $10 $15 per car to park on their lots. These greedy land owners have no reason to ask people to pay THAT much. Then theres those meter maids who go out LOOKING to write you up for somthing. And now trax will soon no longer offer the free zone downtown. Yea.....welcome to downtown where we are going to try to take as much money out of your pockets as we can.
I don't think the point is necessarily to keep people out of their cars, but to provide incentive to use public transit, as well as provide an additional source of income for the city. The idea that every city should provide enough free parking in their downtowns so that every person who wants to can drive and park right next to their destination is not only impractical, but impossible.

With that said I do think SLC is positioned in a very advantageous position when it comes to providing parking downtown. With our wide streets and medians like the one on 300 south seen throughout the city, we could provide a great amount of metered parking to meet demand. It's also an exciting thought that this metered parking could go toward funding additional parking medians throughout the city.
     
     
  #7957  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:34 PM
billbillbillbill billbillbillbill is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 167
I actually really like these electronic meters. I rarely have coins laying around so it makes it easy to pay and stick the receipt on the car. I do think the solar thing is a gimmick. Curious how much more the city has to pay to have a little solar panel on the top versus more of a standard payment kiosk.
     
     
  #7958  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:47 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
I actually prefer to park at the Regent Street parking terrace. $1 per hour. Hard to beat that anywhere downtown.
     
     
  #7959  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:01 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
I actually prefer to park at the Regent Street parking terrace. $1 per hour. Hard to beat that anywhere downtown.
If you don't mind riding TRAX through the free fare zone, you can just park down by the intermodel hub FOR FREE. I park across the street from where the last TRAX stop is located; that particular location has UTA police watching from the other side of the road and lots of lighting when it gets dark. You can even leave the car there over night (I have a nice car and have done this a few times).
     
     
  #7960  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:40 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
Great info, S.P. I think I will try that next time I go down there.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.