HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #661  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
... Out here in Bedford a cliff had to be blasted away to build a sidewalk on the Bedford Highway so even small projects can be costly.
I guess it can be expensive providing appropriate infrastructure for a city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #662  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
I was driving past this on Hollis last night. A few lights were on in the building. I liked the effect it had on the red balconies from street level.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #663  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:00 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,982
Well at least nobody can say this doesn't stand out some ... taken from King's Wharf;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #664  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:58 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,997
The red balconies look great from that angle.

Hopefully as time goes on we'll see more interesting designs like this one and fewer plain precast-clad buildings. There's a lot of potential for the Cunard block.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #665  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:39 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
We drove past this early Saturday morning on the way to the market, and the sun from the east was streaming through the red glass. My wife (who isn't someone who usually pays attention to developments like I do) looked up and said "WOW, that is one smart looking building". It really does look great... foam cornice aside, it is my favourite building in the last while. Trillium is looking better now that they are putting the bronze sections on, but still is far behind Vic Suites in terms of street appeal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #666  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 11:13 PM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
I went by this last Saturday night, and there were some balconies that had lights on them, shining through the red glass. It was an awesome sight, and if anyone has a chance to go by there at night, it would make a great photo op. I saw some photos from someone who moved in to one of the suites, on FB. The view was toward Halterm, etc., and was kind of lacking. :/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #667  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:42 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,106
Photos by me:



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #668  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The VIC is lookin' great!! And soon Fenwick will have a similar angled roof.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #669  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:45 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
The VIC is lookin' great!! And soon Fenwick will have a similar angled roof.
How soon? I'm getting impatient!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #670  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:55 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,997
Great shots. I quoted your post in the Canada section construction thread.

The Vic seems to be pretty visible and has been well-received. I hope it is part of a continued trend -- as people accept that modern looking buildings can be attractive maybe we'll have less of the faux Victorian stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #671  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 4:00 AM
hoser111's Avatar
hoser111 hoser111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 353
It will be a HUGE improvement when all of those power lines are buried! ...love that shot adjacent to Fenwick.

Last edited by hoser111; Sep 21, 2011 at 4:01 AM. Reason: more to add..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #672  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 4:03 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
It will be a HUGE improvement when all of those power lines are buried! ...love that shot adjacent to Fenwick.
I actually think they look kind of cool in this shot, but they should be buried.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #673  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 9:52 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
How soon? I'm getting impatient!
Fenwick renos start next year.

Give it a couple years and it'll look like an entirely new building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #674  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
I didn't have time to back and read all the old posts, but if I ever said that the red balconies where a bad idea than I'm sorry. I guess I might have been thinking about the old red balconies that were on the former Brunswick Towers. (Ocean Towers now).
I thought nothing would have impressed me more than the trillium this year but the Vic is one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen. There are other buildings in the world that used red glass but I wasn't able to find any on a white backdrop.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #675  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:42 AM
Aya_Akai's Avatar
Aya_Akai Aya_Akai is offline
Dartmouth Girl
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 607
One of those absolutely stunning beautiful clear days we had last week I just happened to have off from work. I did nothing all day, but I had set the day aside to go admire Vic at sunset with the sun coming through the balconies on the side of the building..

Anyway, I'd like to share these with you guys, I think this building, as small as it is, in the grand scheme of Halifax makes probably the biggest impact to me, it really stands out, just stunning. Overall, I have to agree with what Jstaleness said above... one of the coolest buildings I think I've ever seen.









Photos © Me
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #676  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
One of those absolutely stunning beautiful clear days we had last week I just happened to have off from work. I did nothing all day, but I had set the day aside to go admire Vic at sunset with the sun coming through the balconies on the side of the building..

Anyway, I'd like to share these with you guys, I think this building, as small as it is, in the grand scheme of Halifax makes probably the biggest impact to me, it really stands out, just stunning. Overall, I have to agree with what Jstaleness said above... one of the coolest buildings I think I've ever seen.



This particular view, except from somewhat more to the south, hit me between the eyes tonight as I sat in traffic after a meeting downtown. From the angle I was at on Lower Water the building was just stunningly good-looking. I diverted my route to turn up Morris in order to see the entrance, which is still under construction. We have seen a number of pictures of it from the Hollis-Morris perspective and it is far less impressive from that angle - the gray faux-shingle treatment really does not work for me. But from the Water St side it is fabulous. My thought was of what a cool place to live it would be and what a fabulous view it would have on the harbor side. The terraces on the penthouse level would be incredible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #677  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 10:47 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This particular view, except from somewhat more to the south, hit me between the eyes tonight as I sat in traffic after a meeting downtown. From the angle I was at on Lower Water the building was just stunningly good-looking. I diverted my route to turn up Morris in order to see the entrance, which is still under construction. We have seen a number of pictures of it from the Hollis-Morris perspective and it is far less impressive from that angle - the gray faux-shingle treatment really does not work for me. But from the Water St side it is fabulous. My thought was of what a cool place to live it would be and what a fabulous view it would have on the harbor side. The terraces on the penthouse level would be incredible.
You're right, it's not stunning from the Hollis/Morris angle, but I think it "behaves" in an urban form kind of way. Hollis/Morris kind of blends into the streetscape - albeit with questionable materials... what I'd call an urbanist statement. The water side is more of an architectural statement. I'd say the two are balanced pretty well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #678  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:35 AM
HRM HRM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Agreed. The Lower Water Street elevation is inspiring and gives hope for the future of architecture in Halifax. South Beach written all over it. But the Hollis/ Morris intersection is a real mish mash of materials with no long-term histories. Horror stories of cement fibre are now starting to become main stream. But overall a real nice bulding.

However the only concern I have is how well the cream panels and red balcony glass age over time, especially given the harsh elements of a maritime location. Salt from the harbour and sun will be a real test for the cream metal panels. And these things get dirty real fast. Especially with the continuous exhaust from 18 wheelers rolling past all day. This stuff is going to be blown onto the panels and possibly turn the panels blackish/grey in a few years. I hope this does not happen as this will really deter from the clean look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #679  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 5:04 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 529
I absolutely love the last photo. Very nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #680  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:33 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,982
Hopefully I'll have some better photos on Friday















Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.