HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 10:09 PM

The interior of the oldest part of LL is an executive palace. It won't ever be for sale at a price that the City can afford. There is also one hell of a lot of computer hardware hardwired into the LL building - very expensive to move out and up the street. As well, a key element to any new City Hall will be a civic square at the main entrance. Can't do that with the LL complex.

If this idea comes to fruition, the choice location would likely be the Queen/Fullerton block beside the courthouse. A second choice would be beside the JLC, if they don't mind building it tall.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
If this idea comes to fruition, the choice location would likely be the Queen/Fullerton block beside the courthouse. A second choice would be beside the JLC, if they don't mind building it tall.
Those are exactly the locations I had in mind as well!

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 2:12 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Interesting blog about the summit from http://blogs.canoe.ca/coolblognameto...wn-unheard-of/

A London mayor trying to revitalize downtown? Unheard of
dan.brown - May 3rd, 2011

I didn’t get a chance last week to blog about the downtown summit, so here’s my belated thought.

This city is never going to progress so long as council is obsessed with the downtown. While the core is an important ingredient, it’s not the be-all and end-all.

As far back as I have memories of downtown, they have been trying to revitalize the place.

Unlike most Londoners, I spend most of my working and leisure time downtown. I spend five days every work at work downtown, then I return for my leisure pursuits on the weekend.

But I’m the exception.

I don’t buy that downtown is the heart of London. The heart of London is wherever you decide it is. For some folks, the heart of this city is Western’s campus, for others it’s Masonville Place, for other it’s Hyde Park, for others it’s Huron and Adelaide, for others it’s the Gibraltar Market.

To tell you the truth, I’m kind of sick of being told downtown must be the top priority.

I agree that it’s one priority, but until the folks at City Hall get over their fixation with downtown, this city is not going to make any progress.

So hold all the downtown summits you like.

Just remember that, for most Londoners, downtown is not a factor in their lives.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 9:03 PM

London Idea Hub

The Free Press has added a forum to continue the discussion on the downtown.

http://lfpress.uservoice.com/forums/...-core-reaction

You can find me there under the same username as I have here.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 12:55 AM

I took a walk downtown today. There is enough body metal on the people at D&R to provide enough rebar to build another CN Tower.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The Free Press has added a forum to continue the discussion on the downtown.

http://lfpress.uservoice.com/forums/...-core-reaction

You can find me there under the same username as I have here.
good comments.

Something has to be done about the ground zero intersection of Dundas/Richmond. It is a bloody embarrassment. I am tired of the smell of pee.

London badly needs a destination attraction. There is very little to do here in this town when the weather is inclement. Seems as though half the city ends up at Costco on Wonderland Rd. when the weather is foul (which it seems to be almost every fukin day lately)

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:22 AM
Sanity merchant

Quote:
I took a walk downtown today. There is enough body metal on the people at D&R to provide enough rebar to build another CN Tower.
Know the son of the owners... used to work with him. Crooked place.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Know the son of the owners... used to work with him. Crooked place.
D&R = Dundas & Richmond. Is there a store called D&R?

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't that seedy little variety store on the corner called D&R (in my day it was the Player's store).

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 9:08 PM

How about that. One of my comments got printed in the London Free Press yesterday. They even used my pseudonym as if it was my real name (My pseudonym is named after one of the characters played by ultra-attractive Canadian actress Cassandra Steele).

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 4:38 AM
Sanity merchant

Quote:
Yep. Do not want!

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 2:33 PM

Our downtown might not be a tourist destination, and really it probably never will be, but it is full of great businesses, parks, and a good mix of heritage and modern. Walk through downtown Hamilton, St. Catharines or Kitchener London's downtown seems pretty good.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
Our downtown might not be a tourist destination, and really it probably never will be, but it is full of great businesses, parks, and a good mix of heritage and modern. Walk through downtown Hamilton, St. Catharines or Kitchener London's downtown seems pretty good.
I agree, London does have a better downtown than some other cities, especially Kitchener. However I also like Hamilton's downtown, although I've only been a couple of times. At least they don't have freight trains running down one of the streets anymore.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
I don't think downtown London will ever be a tourist destination in the international or even national sense, but it certainly is in an Ontario sense and I'm sure the amount of money generated by southwestern Ontario tourists alone is substantial. What about the JLC? Museum London? Richmond Row? I know people in KWC who specifically go to London to visit those destinations.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:12 AM

True, and think how many people thought that JLC was a bad idea.. I don't always agree with our city's downtown-only Entertainment policy but this is one case where our city's elected officials got it right.

Now they need to stop any councillors from serving on the Western Fair board..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 2:04 AM

Looks like I got quoted in the Free Press regarding a suggestion for London, which I have also mentioned on SSP. And this isn't even my real name.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18601646.html

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 12:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^good one, "Manny"

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 12:48 PM

You should start writing letters to the editor as Manny

Manny Santos for mayor

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy