HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:56 AM

Downtown Summit

Who's attending the Downtown Summit? I am and I think a new, well designed city hall would be great for downtown London.

Building new City Hall part of mayor's core vision

Building a new city hall is a key part of Mayor Joe Fontana’s vision to keep revitalizing downtown London, The Free Press has learned.

With a summit on the downtown’s future looming next week, Fontana is pitching the pricey project — a source of debate for years — as a catalyst to trigger millions in private development in the core.

“This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” he said.

Details? Few have been offered, but Fontana says council must decide by this summer its plans for city hall — and he’s prepared for criticism of his idea.

It’s been estimated construction of a new city hall could hit

$100 million, a huge bill made all the more eye-popping considering the

mayor’s push for spending restraint and tax freezes.

But Fontana counters that the construction costs make sense considering what’s already being spent on the aging city hall.

Asbestos removal at the 40-year-old building could top $20 million, and the city spent $2.2 million last year leasing outside office space for squeezed-out staff.

Spending millions to maintain a city hall that some consider inadequate is a bad idea, Fontana says.

An alternative he lays out involves building a new city hall that could be “leveraged” to create an even larger project that would bring institutions and private companies into the core.

“We have an incredible opportunity. Let’s start setting the table and see what it looks like,” Fontana said.

This is clearly Fontana’s priority with the so-called Downtown Core Summit — something of a brainstorming exercise between politicians and the public — set for next Wednesday.

The summit, open to all Londoners, is expected to produce recommendations for downtown revitalization that would be presented to city council this spring.

That plan, though, raises some intriguing questions.

The proposed downtown Fanshawe College campus — which would receive up to $20 million in city money — was presented by the previous city council as the last piece of a decade-long public effort to revitalize downtown.

City hall has spent about $100 million on various projects over the past decade, most notably the John Labatt Centre.

Fontana’s arrival at city hall has clearly shifted those gears, and he’s made continued downtown renewal a priority.

But the next phase of big-ticket downtown projects — including the proposed new city hall — will be different, the mayor promises.

“$100 million in investment — did we leverage as much private-sector investment (through) that? In my opinion, no,” he said of the past decade.

“This time, it’s going to be the reverse: The private sector is going to come to the party, and we’re going to leverage that.

“I think we (city hall) have a role to play. I believe there’s a greater role by the private sector (which) has to come to the party in a big way.”

Not everyone, however, is convinced.

Fontana appears not to have consulted all of council on his vision, and some city hall veterans have questions about such a huge project.

“I’m certainly open to partnerships,” Coun. Joni Baechler said. “I’m also, well, it’s a lot of money. For me, the numbers have to make good sense. . . . It would have to be strong partnerships.”

The Downtown Core Summit is slated for Wednesday from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Covent Garden Market.

patrick.maloney@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/patatLFPress

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:47 AM

I'm hoping to attend. We should set aside a SSP/LL table lol

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:08 PM

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...10568&t=h&z=17

The site on the north side of Queens Ave, in my opinion, would be a good choice to explore the potential of a new city hall site. It would also be in the approximate location of London's first town hall in the 1800s. There's a lot of history in that area, with the forks of the Thames, the Labatt homestead, and the former courthouse all being nearby, and it's a shame to have surface parking there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:31 PM

http://goo.gl/maps/vLyF

I think they should consider this parking lot. I think it would be cool as a "gateway" to downtown from Wellington Road.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:21 PM
User Registered

I'll be heading there. Not sure if I'll stay for the whole thing or how active I will be. I think I will mostly be on the sidelines listening to the plans and proposals for the core.

I think London has done a modest job restoring the core since the mid-1990's, which is good compared to what other cities of comparable size are doing. However, we as taxpayers have been pumping a ton of money into this downtown revitalization so it better be worth it.

As per building a new city hall, I'm all for it. The current building looks like utter crap from the outside and just as bad on the inside, with the exception of the recently renovated council chambers. I think our city hall is an embarrassment especially compared to other cities in Canada. If we build a city hall that's inviting and a plus to the skyline, that may attract more investment to the city.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 3:39 PM

I'll be at the summit today. It would be nice for some of us to meet up, but how will we know who each other is. I'll be wearing a black Columbia jacket and brown pants. If someone wants to message me on this forum, I will give you my cell phone number so you can text me.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:35 PM
User Registered

Cool man, PM sent.

Anyone else going?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 6:40 PM

i think i will go

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 6:48 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
i think i will go
Did you sign up for a spot? Tickets are sold out. http://downtowncoresummit.eventbrite.com/

They might let in a few stragglers if people don't show up. I'm not sure though.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 6:52 PM

no but i will go and see if i can

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 5:58 PM

Well, haljackey and I attended the downtown summit yesterday. Here are my thoughts from it....

- The event was basically a pre-planned exercise where citizens, business people and other interested parties sat at tables of 10 and tried to pick locations for a new city hall and other development. It was interesting because you were sitting with 9 other random people from London, from different walks of life and different ages.

- There were a lot of "movers and shakers" at this event, from politicians to developers to city planners.

- I got to talk to Joe Fontana, Sean Galloway (London's Urban design guy), and some other planners about London's unambitious building design, asking why we are still building commie blocks in this city. Most of them agreed that this needs to change. I sat beside some guy from a engineering firm in the GTA. He said he represented some groups from Toronto. I asked him about what he thought of our urban design. His answer - "it's a disaster".

Overall, it was a good event to attend and give input. Oh yeah, the free food was good too.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 7:53 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I sat beside some guy from a engineering firm in the GTA. He said he represented some groups from Toronto. I asked him about what he thought of our urban design. His answer - "it's a disaster".
Aw, c'mon a disaster? This isn't Detroit for gods sake. I mean I can understand how someone from the GTA would feel about our urban design, but to call it a complete disaster is borderline ignorant.

Anyways, it's good to hear that the meeting was a success (it was even the top story on A news!) and I'd love to hear more, from anyone who was able to attend!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 8:26 PM

Maybe I should clarify...I specifically was asking him about the new buildings that were going up...the commie blocks. He didn't say downtown London's urban design was a total disaster.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 9:54 PM

Interesting idea from Alan Cowey, mentioned on Phil McLeod's blog:

http://themcleodreport.ca/

He proposes moving London Life to the site next to One London Place, and then incorporating the current London Life building into a new city hall.

I now wish I was at the summit!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 10:56 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Aw, c'mon a disaster? This isn't Detroit for gods sake. I mean I can understand how someone from the GTA would feel about our urban design, but to call it a complete disaster is borderline ignorant.
Well remember this is for the current developments and the ones proposed/under construction. I don't think it compares to Detroit at all as they're dealing with urban decay with very little new developments, especially in their core.

-----

To me, the meeting was so-so. The biggest problem: the location. The upper floor of the market was so packed you couldn't move anywhere. I was standing the whole time as there were no seats available. This should have been at a bigger venue such as the Convention Centre!

During the public input session, I decided not to partake in the event (mostly because I didn't have seat) but instead observed the proposals from others and chatted with city planners, developers, the press and a few people I knew (like GreatTallNorth2).

Joe's speech was the highlight of the event, asking the city to, for a moment, envision what we want the core to look like 1, 5, and 10 years from now. He had some good support from other speakers and some of Whisper09's photos were shown on the TVs during the presentation.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:33 AM
Londoner

Grocery store ranks up top

A new city hall? Sure, that's an idea worth talking about.

But one day after the city-led downtown summit brought 250 Londoners to share their thoughts on core redevelopment, plenty more ideas poured into the just-started Who's London? project at lfpress.com.

The forum will give Londoners a place to share their ideas on various topics involving the Forest City - starting with downtown. There was no shortage of feedback on Thursday, including:

"Madeleine" wrote that a downtown grocery store must be a priority "if we want people to live downtown."

"That Guy In London" wrote that helping the homeless and the poor is the best way to fix downtown London's ills.

Nathan Dawthorne suggested getting rid of all parking meters in the downtown, much like many other communities have done.

"Kevin" wrote that the city should make the entire downtown a smoke-free zone, except for "certain hidden, designated areas."

"Michael" said a great idea is making Dundas from Wellington to Talbot car-free.

The ideas from "Michael" and "Madeleine" proved the most popular among readers, getting 25 and 33 votes of support respectively.

To add your thoughts to the discussion, go to lfpress.com and click on the Who's London? button.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

what about bongo-drum guy?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Interesting idea from Alan Cowey, mentioned on Phil McLeod's blog:

http://themcleodreport.ca/

He proposes moving London Life to the site next to One London Place, and then incorporating the current London Life building into a new city hall.

I now wish I was at the summit!
A nice city hall, this would be.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 7:47 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
A nice city hall, this would be.
Second. London Life would move into a newly built Two London Place and city hall would move into Delta Armories 2.0.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 8:01 PM

I haven't heard that London Life is unhappy about their current space, but I really love the idea of OLP 2 and silly hall at London Life HQ.

Oh yeah, while we are on the subject of game changing ideas for downtown. I don't understand why the old courthouse (building that looks like a castle near the forks) is used for office space. It used to be an old courthouse with a jail in it. Imagine what a tourist attraction this could be for the city. We just came back from San Francisco and went to Alcatraz. It was a pretty cool attraction, in fact it's the most popular attraction in San Francisco. The old courthouse in London is a gem of a building and could be made into a popular attraction. The current tenant (county of Middlesex offices) could move to another office building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy