Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325
So, is anything new going on in this city? Or are we falling victim to what seems to be a mini Canadian recession (it's funny, Canada and Australia both weathered the last recession well, and now we both appear poised to enter recession)?
|
As someone who only sees Winnipeg once or twice a year... wow. My impression is the complete opposite of your post. It feels like tons of new 🞵🞵🞵🞵 is here every single year lately, and more constantly coming. I've never in my nearly 40 years seen so much on the go here at one time. Or ever, for that matter. The past 5 years or so have really changed this city.
Off the top of my head, things I've been blown away by:
1. CMHR. That thing is finally looking gigantic.
2. The fully complete Hydro tower. I finally had a chance to see it from all sides, up close. It's breathtaking, especially considering its surroundings.
3. The UofW "periodic table" building facing Portage. No idea what it's called, I had never heard of it or seen a pic but drove by it this week. I almost caused an accident I was so overwhelmed by how cool it is. And there's another nice new building behind it. Maybe it's just the chemistry geek in me.
4. The seemingly dozens of new/retrofitted buildings downtown. It feels like every block has some new building on it, or something changed so radically that I can't even recognize it. I worked downtown for over a decade, and prowled it on foot as a teenager hundreds of times. I thought I knew Winnipeg's downtown, but... again, wow. There are so many new landmarks.
5. The BRT pathway. This has been bandied about for so many years, just seeing actual construction takes my breath away. I personally hope Winnipeg goes LRT and soon, but this is still amazing progress after so many stops and starts.
6. The numerous road improvements - extra lanes, expanded intersections, etc. They seem to be happening all over the city. While I'd prefer to see some money spent on grade-separated intersections, this is certainly a welcome change. The province and/or city obviously have some extra cash floating around.
Sure, much of this isn't "new" (depending on how you define that). But for an outsider who's intimately familiar with Winnipeg - all I can say is again, wow. I mean seriously WOW. It's been getting busier and busier here every single year recently, but this year has completely blown me away.
I'd love to put together a list of major projects from the past 10 years one day. I bet it's more than the previous 30, combined. This city is f'ing HOPPING. Quite frankly, other than transportation infrastructure, Winnipeg feels like Calgary in terms of the sheer amount of new "stuff" that's up and going up.