HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15381  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:23 PM
OptimumPx's Avatar
OptimumPx OptimumPx is offline
Basket Case
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There's a nice rendering of that as well. Don't know if you ever made it up in the original, but the proximity of the other tower enhanced the view.
Sadly I never got the chance to go back then. First trip was in '08.

I know it'll be neat to be so close to another tower at almost the same level, but I would like seeing that famous view of the Brooklyn Bridge too.

Oh well, can't have everything.
__________________
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
     
     
  #15382  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:31 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dino Vabec View Post
4WTC is going to make a mockery of everything else on the site, you could land a plane on that!
     
     
  #15383  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:49 PM
sterlippo1 sterlippo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 1,266
^^^ lol, but it's still a stud building
     
     
  #15384  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:01 PM
Servo's Avatar
Servo Servo is offline
I Serve
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
4WTC is going to make a mockery of everything else on the site, you could land a plane on that!
I think the perspective makes it look bigger than it is. Not say it's small, but it does (from other pictures) look slender compared to how the renderings made it appear.
     
     
  #15385  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:14 PM
justmehere justmehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
Otie, how do they raise the external crane?
they called it the sliding crane. it has its own tracks that alternates from bottom to top.
so the crane slide up.
it is quite innovative eh:
     
     
  #15386  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:17 PM
Otie's Avatar
Otie Otie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 700

Busy spot by Bosc d'Anjou, on Flickr


20110809_003041.jpg by stvtron, on Flickr
     
     
  #15387  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:28 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
I think the perspective makes it look bigger than it is. Not say it's small, but it does (from other pictures) look slender compared to how the renderings made it appear.
I know what you mean, but it probably really is that big. The shiny cladding dosen't help anything either. Not complaining, just an observation.
     
     
  #15388  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:01 PM
jthornton17 jthornton17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I know I'll get a slew of reasons why it "Must Be This Way" to this remark and I also know that they are invalid, considering this whole area was a blank slate 10 years ago...

I never understood why they didn't switch where 2WTC and the Hub are going to be. There are several reasons why it would have been better.

1) It would have preserved that view of the Brooklyn Bridge for the 1WTC observation deck.

2) The diagonal stagger of 1WTC and 2WTC (if it were the Hub will be) would better mimic the original staggers of the Twins. Better replicating the classic view from Brooklyn that so many people are upset will not be. Furthermore, 2WTC would not block 1WTC from so many of the "classic" vantage points.

3) The Hub would be in a more pituresque and "Classic" viewline down Fulton Street, with its "Wings" towering over the trees of St.Paul's Chappel.

4) The Hub would not be squeezed between such tall towers. The Hub would be reflected in 1WTC and 2WTC such that when standing at Vesey and Church you would get an almost 360 degree view of its architecture.

5) The placement of 2WTC where the Hub will be still preserves the stepdown effect from 1WTC that so many people seem to crave.
I agree with you and have always thought the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't enough room. You guys could let me know this. But where 5 WTC would go, would almost be a better place for 2 wtc. Now I understand if it's a big deal to have the height decrease. But It's as close as you get to the original twins, just like 1 WTC is. At the very least, having wtc 2,3,and 4 as neighbors next to one another, would be awesome. I'm sure there are legit reasons though why this didn't happen. I'm sure it was something talked about. I would love to know the reasons why it ended up like it is.
     
     
  #15389  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:05 PM
RockMont RockMont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 697
That thing is starting to really dominate the skyline. And the good news is that it's not done yet. Now I'm looking forward to when it tops out. Lower Manhattan will have its rightful 100+ story building back, even if it just stands alone.
     
     
  #15390  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:55 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
I know it'll be neat to be so close to another tower at almost the same level, but I would like seeing that famous view of the Brooklyn Bridge too.

Oh well, can't have everything.
If that's all you want, then maybe you can have everything
Tower 2 will only block a sliver of that view, and nowhere else will you get the dramatic view of that crown.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
I agree with you and have always thought the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't enough room. You guys could let me know this. But where 5 WTC would go, would almost be a better place for 2 wtc. Now I understand if it's a big deal to have the height decrease. But It's as close as you get to the original twins, just like 1 WTC is. At the very least, having wtc 2,3,and 4 as neighbors next to one another, would be awesome. I'm sure there are legit reasons though why this didn't happen. I'm sure it was something talked about. I would love to know the reasons why it ended up like it is.
There's an entire thread for that discussion.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #15391  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
Otie's Avatar
Otie Otie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Nice angle for a postcard.


Ground Zero by Serry Boylan, on Flickr


IMG_1049 by Kirsti Westerbotn, on Flickr
     
     
  #15392  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 11:47 PM
QUEENSNYMAN QUEENSNYMAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,292
     
     
  #15393  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:04 AM
Otie's Avatar
Otie Otie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Queens, don't be shy!

• Video Link



Freedom Tower by GStav, on Flickr
     
     
  #15394  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is online now
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 6,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Queens, don't be shy!

• Video Link



Freedom Tower by GStav, on Flickr
From that view,I understand truely why one of New York's nicknames are "the city so nice they named it twice. We have two skyline,and two kings that are going to dominate together.
__________________
MAWA: Make America Walkable Again
     
     
  #15395  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 2:51 AM
Yankee fan for life's Avatar
Yankee fan for life Yankee fan for life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn new York
Posts: 287
     
     
  #15396  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:29 AM
animatedmartian's Avatar
animatedmartian animatedmartian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,054
     
     
  #15397  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:38 AM
patrick989's Avatar
patrick989 patrick989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 89
^ sorry to be a little OT but it's funny how random and out of place "Trump SoHo" looks in that picture, such an eyesore that doesn't fit its surroundings whatsoever.
     
     
  #15398  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
RoyalOil's Avatar
RoyalOil RoyalOil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 14
^^ Which one is that, tall one on the left?
__________________
If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is noticably not worth noticing.
     
     
  #15399  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 1:04 PM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 34,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
^ sorry to be a little OT but it's funny how random and out of place "Trump SoHo" looks in that picture, such an eyesore that doesn't fit its surroundings whatsoever.
It won't be "out of place" for long.

That area is zoned for highrise development, and there are proposals for considerably higher towers on some of the underbuilt sites.

And I certainly wouldn't call it an eyesore. IMO, it's one of the best looking buildings in its immediate neighborhood.

And why is it "out of place"? Because it's taller? So the WTC is "out of place"? ESB is "out of place"?
     
     
  #15400  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 3:01 PM
JesseNewYorkCity JesseNewYorkCity is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
You know, I've never understood why they still have those log posts in the water like that.. Why not dig them up and get rid of them if they aren't in use?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.