HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction


Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1881  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 12:42 AM
ChicagoSpire2000 ChicagoSpire2000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Was there an accident?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1882  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 8:24 AM
meh_cd meh_cd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
They gave the occupants ear muffs and they even put noise screens on the windows yet in the end everything is about the money.
The noise is almost nothing compared to a few years ago. Someone "important" must have complained.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1883  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 1:30 PM
Otie's Avatar
Otie Otie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 700

2011-08-06 61 by in.formed, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1884  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 3:23 PM
Brian Dino Vabec's Avatar
Brian Dino Vabec Brian Dino Vabec is offline
NYC to LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 235
B1 floor will be interesting..Eastern part is higher than Western..Also, that's the lowest floor for podium elevator which will be on that eastern part..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1885  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:52 PM
Yankee fan for life's Avatar
Yankee fan for life Yankee fan for life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn new York
Posts: 287
Wiki says that pinnacle height for 2 wtc is 1350 but this forum description says 1429 what height is 2 wtc going to be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1886  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:54 PM
animatedmartian's Avatar
animatedmartian animatedmartian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
wiki says that pinnacle height for 2 wtc is 1350 but this forum description says 1429 what height is 2 wtc going to be.
...

1350.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1887  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:07 AM
uakoops uakoops is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 201
^^ Otie's Picture:

Check out the "bent" column on the truck at top.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1888  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:34 AM
brian.odonnell20 brian.odonnell20 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 390
not quite sure which ny proposed u/c I like better, this or torre verre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1889  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
JesseNewYorkCity JesseNewYorkCity is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
The 4 diamonds at the top are going to look AWESOME at night!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1890  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:41 PM
Guiltyspark's Avatar
Guiltyspark Guiltyspark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 937
Two Face

While I think that the diamond structure on the top is going to be absolutely stunning, especially when it is lit at night; I think there is a major problem with this tower. Most pictures I have seen of it are from the memorial side, which is its best side by far. However, when I see renders from say, the ESB, II WTC ends up looking very plain. Personally, I think buildings that have all their tricks on one side are fine, as long as they do not dominate the skyline and mostly will be viewed from that side. For example the Smurfit-Stone Building in Chicago (which II WTC has already been compared to) has the same type of interesting slant, but the boring back of the building is basically hidden. I doubt there will be anything in our lifetime to hide the back of II WTC from midtown.

In summary, I think this design might have actually been better if it was shorter and in the location of WTC IV. Then the back would have been hidden by the rest of downtown. Overall, I give it a B+.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1891  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:05 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I doubt there will be anything in our lifetime to hide the back of II WTC from midtown.

In summary, I think this design might have actually been better if it was shorter and in the location of WTC IV. Then the back would have been hidden by the rest of downtown. Overall, I give it a B+.
I like the view of the diamonds being oriented towards the river, but that is just one aspect of the design. I believe the true nature and scale of the building is best seen from the north where it actually complements the Freedom Tower better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1892  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:24 PM
Servo's Avatar
Servo Servo is offline
I Serve
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I like the view of the diamonds being oriented towards the river, but that is just one aspect of the design. I believe the true nature and scale of the building is best seen from the north where it actually complements the Freedom Tower better.
I agree, and remember that this tower is facing the memorial for a specific purpose. It's really a symbolic gesture. Moving it anywhere else would defeat the gradual slope in height between the buildings, and it wouldn't allow for the buildup to Tower 1. I think the design is genius. The diamond part of the building may seem bland from other parts of Manhattan, but it draws the attention to Tower 1 and the unseen memorial - the former home of the Twins. It's not as subtle as 4 WTC, but it isn't overpowering either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1893  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:47 PM
STR's Avatar
STR STR is offline
Because I'm Clever!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,078
^Bland? People talk about Citicorp as being a breath of fresh air that breaks up the monotonous collection of flat roofs in Midtown.
I can't possibly fathom why anyone would think anything else about 2WTC.
It is a singularly unique pinnacle in a city that has examples of just about every finial ever stuck on top of a hirise.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1894  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:13 PM
Guiltyspark's Avatar
Guiltyspark Guiltyspark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 937
My Idea

Well, my idea would be to have II be the height of IV and in the location of IV with the building turned so that it would still be sloping down toward the memorial. Then whatever building they put on the site of II would be the same height as the current design of II. I guess I just don't like the way II peaks away from I. Like I said, I think it is a great design, I just don't think it holds up as well from the north and east views. It just seems like a design suitable for a shorter building that leads the eye up to a taller building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1895  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:16 PM
Guiltyspark's Avatar
Guiltyspark Guiltyspark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 937
On Further Reflection

Actually, after thinking about it more, I think the best solution would have been to keep everything the same, except to switch the locations of I WTC and II WTC. Then the diamonds of II would lead the eye up to the peak of I, instead of leading the eye away from it.

Last edited by Guiltyspark; Aug 11, 2011 at 1:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1896  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:05 AM
animatedmartian's Avatar
animatedmartian animatedmartian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,054
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1897  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:43 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,232
Looking at those columns, I can almost feel this tower rising.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1898  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:49 AM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is online now
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 6,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^Bland? People talk about Citicorp as being a breath of fresh air that breaks up the monotonous collection of flat roofs in Midtown.
I can't possibly fathom why anyone would think anything else about 2WTC.
It is a singularly unique pinnacle in a city that has examples of just about every finial ever stuck on top of a hirise.



STR,do you have 99 Church Street in those renders?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1899  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:59 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
STR,do you have 99 Church Street in those renders?
It's in the first one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1900  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 2:44 AM
JesseNewYorkCity JesseNewYorkCity is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post


^Are they actually going to build those buildings? And if so, when?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.