Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
I don't think we're talking just downtown proper. We're talking neighborhood streets in Cap Hill, Highlands, Five Points, etc. That's where cyclists are going to be coming from. Do you object to bike lanes in the central neighborhoods too?
As for downtown, do we need to dedicate 100% of every downtown street to the Highlands Ranch people? There is plenty of room for compromise here. There are literally hundreds of car lanes downtown. Are there any bike lanes at all? I don't remember. I can't think of any.
Another thing we haven't discussed is lane width. You only need a few feet for a bike lane. You can often get it without losing any car lanes by narrowing your general purpose lanes a foot or two. There should not be any streets downtown with lanes wider than 11 feet regardless of bike use (Speer is maybe an exception).
|
I absolutely do not object to bike lanes in central neighborhoods. A striped bike lane, with a buffer, on a number of streets is exactly the way to go. Like 16th Avenue east of downtown, Montview east of City Park, etc. etc. Do those all over on local streets that have ROW to keep a lane in each direction and still accommodate whatever neighborhood/residential parking is necessary. Great. Narrowing through-lanes in existing ROW? Even better - slows traffic and accommodates the new mode.
Remember, this discussion started with a demand for removing lanes and adding what you term "cycle tracks" everywhere. Bollard separated, raised, etc. (See dmintz above.) I do not think that much of what you're suggesting - methods Denver is already using and which I generally like - satisfies those demands.
But I object to removing lanes on collector and arterial streets on grounds of "bicycle equity" alone. I think it is still reasonable to take automobile mobility into account. That'll leave some areas where it's tough, obviously. Like Highland.
Downtown is full of bike lanes now. And that's a good thing. There's still a gap because there are not lanes on 15th, 16th, or 17th. And that, I think, is where we 🞵🞵🞵🞵 heads. There's just no way to take a lane on those streets, dedicate it to bikes, and not have a detrimental effect on both autos and buses. There's a lane on 18th, though. To me, that suffices. But like I've said time and again, I view things through a mobility lens, not an inflexible demand for equal rights between bikes and autos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
This is objectively wrong. There's a mountain of evidence that dedicated bike infrastructure is both safer and encourages significantly higher use. I'm too lazy to go dig it up right now, but will if you want to see it.
|
I am not particularly interested in increasing use if it means a dedicated ROW on every street, taking away from both autos and transit. The costs outweigh the benefits. If we want to set a standard - say, a striped/dedicated bike lane within 8 blocks (making up a number) of everybody in town, I can support that. I cannot support dedicated bicycle ROW on every street, that's overkill.
I don't think you and I are actually all that far off in what we're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus
You're thinking like a transit opponent in the 1970s. It's niche because we've spent the better part of a century building cities and infrastructure that are inherently hostile to biking. But that was a terrible decision, because in urban environments biking is often the fastest, most convenient, and most affordable way to get around. It's bad planning to discourage such an efficient mode, especially if your only reason is that not very many people use it right now.
|
I don't think so. I think Wizened is correct - it's niche because it harkens back to a time of body odor and yellow teeth, when we did not have a way to get from point A to point B without using our own energy. Bicycling is niche because it is pretty much universally - outside of enlightened European core cities - perceived as a primitive form of mobility. Maybe that is a little like 1970s anti-transit folks, but I'll stand by it nonetheless.
Here's the thing, we have spent 40 years building cities that are inherently hostile to biking because of
distance. That can change. But we are still not building human scaled cities that will get us the bicycle-friendly environment of Europe - those days are over. Europe actually doesn't prove anything - that is, the Europe outside of the core old cities. Suburban Europe, Latin American cities, Asian cities... those are not built in any way like American suburbia, or American cities since the 1970s. And yet, they are just as hostile to bicycles (not as hostile to transit, though). They are dense, and yet, in a world with cars, bicycling remains niche and/or disfavored in most parts of the world.
The 'bicycle activists' may be on to something; a world with cars may be inherently hostile to bicycles. The only parts of the world that are 'bicycle-friendly' are the ones that are 'auto-hostile' (not by choice, necessarily, but because they inherited a pre-auto urban form).
I do support limited retrofit to accommodate a new mode, albeit one with a low modal split, as I've said. But if we cannot find a happy medium where bicycles are accommodated without sacrificing auto and bus transit mobility, then bicycles will lose. That battle is long since lost. Fortunately, I do not think we face that situation - I think middle ground can be found if the bicycle crowd is reasonable in its demands, responsive to real-world numbers on a case-by-case basis, and if they drop this absurd drivers-are-evil rhetoric (and behavior).
EDIT: I do sort of perversely hope that the first nasty confrontation/injury with one of these bicycle groups happens with an RTD bus. It'll be fun to see where the various urban factions line up on that one.