Proposed convention centre cost to rise: Source
It’s unknown how much three levels of government are now being asked to give N.S., HRM previously agreed to kick in $56M each With the original price of $159 million, the feds were asked to contribute $47 million.
ALEX BOUTILIER
METRO HALIFAX
Published: July 21, 2011 1:43 a.m.
Last modified: July 21, 2011 7:54 a.m.
The cost of the proposed downtown convention centre is going up.
Metro Halifax has learned the province has received updated costs for the project, previously estimated at $159 million.
How far north the price tag has crept isn’t known, but it could be in the millions.
The governing NDP is neither confirming nor denying it has the new numbers.
“I’ve got nothing to report,” Shawn Fuller, Premier Darrell Dexter’s director of communications, said yesterday.
“We don’t have public discussions on ongoing negotiations.”
Developer Joe Ramia guaranteed the $159-million cost until Jan. 15. It was hoped the federal, provincial and municipal governments could arrive at a cost-sharing agreement for the controversial project by then.
When that deadline came and went, Ramia agreed to extend the guarantee until April 15.
Ramia told Metro on April 19 that he was re-costing the project.
“We’ve got contractors and stuff like that, that are working on it,” he said then. “They have to come back and say, ‘Look, here’s the price we gave you and ... here’s the price today.’”
He declined comment on the matter yesterday.
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal spokeswoman Cathy MacIsaac also refused to comment.
MacIsaac couldn’t say if any new numbers had been forwarded to the federal and municipal governments.
If they have been, it’s news to Defence Minister Peter MacKay.
“I haven’t seen any new numbers from the developer,” he said yesterday.
“(But) I’ll put it this way: We’re down to the short strokes.”
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/ar...ed-convention-centre-cost-to-rise-source