Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger
I wonder how long it will take CT to get on a system like the octopus card in hong kong. It looks like a credit card, you preload money on it at any 7-11 and subway station, and you use it to pay your fair on the subway, busses, taxis, and some ferry's. Its so simple and convenient, I cant understand why its not everywhere. In addition it would also help track ridership without connecting it to any one person as no ID is attached to the card. The card also makes paying fares based on distance possible, which I think has some merit as Calgary grows outward and people need to commute further.
|
That system is used in all of Japan. At train stations, you look at the map and choose your destination and pay accordingly. On busses, you look at the screen that identifies the amount of the fare based on the stop and then pay as you get off the bus, allowing you to embark and disembark via either door. And you can use cash or fare card.