Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1
Urbanlife: I'm really torn. I agree with you about Couch. Or, at least, I should say I share the same fear there. But I also hate Burnside as it is. Not that it's thaaaaat difficult to cross. It's not. But it splits the neighborhood in half in ways that no other street downtown does (except for the 405, which is worse). But can anything be done to improve the situation in the long term? I hope so... but... heck if I know!
Getting back to the topic at hand: I'll be excited to see shops move into this building. It's not the weave we'd hoped for, but I think it's still a positive in the end.
|
Sorry for being off topic, but that is the thing, I don't think Burnside splits anything in half anymore, walking around the Pearl District, it would be hard to argue that Burnside has had a negative effect on the growth of that area, same goes for Chinatown/Oldtown area. People complain about the amount of homeless and shelters in that area than they do about Burnside, and fixing Burnside to a one way street isn't going to change the shelters and homeless in Oldtown. I personally like having a street like Burnside running through downtown because it does physically split the city in the geographical sense, it is very easy to tell someone what is NW, SE, SW, and NE in this city because of Burnside, and it is a unique street in this city that it is easy for people to visually recognize it.
As for the Weave, the photos look nice and it looks like it was a good renovation. I really need to make some time and ride over to that area of downtown and see how much the changes have really effected that area. Though I still want to see the Weave built one of these days but I would almost much rather see it built over in the Inner East Burnside area, I think that area would make a great district for these kinds of buildings.