HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:10 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
So lets assume that the preliminary design process has begun and just needs to be approved and finalized. From shovel in the ground to completion how long would the constructions process take? 2 years?
Construction would take 2 years, minimum, likely longer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:15 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
They're withholding the plans from us because they know we'll freak out when it is a piece of Stampitecture 🞵🞵🞵🞵...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:18 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
I heard rumours that the stampede location will not be suitable for a new arena. It will likely be located in............who knows........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:19 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Design work is definitely under way to some extent.

I've heard that the Flames aren't looking for funding from outside, for a big part because funding usually comes with shared revenue, and the Flames want 100% of the revenue from the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:35 PM
Stang Stang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 538
I have two wishes:

- That the architecture be modern, original, and inspiring. (I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

- That it be downtown and adjacent to (or incorporating) a c-train station. I know that it has been hinted that the location would be North of the Saddledome in Vic Park, so technically further from the Stampede Station. I'd prefer something where the Big 4 currently sits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:37 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I have two wishes:

- That the architecture be modern, original, and inspiring. (I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

- That it be downtown and adjacent to (or incorporating) a c-train station. I know that it has been hinted that the location would be North of the Saddledome in Vic Park, so technically further from the Stampede Station. I'd prefer something where the Big 4 currently sits.
I think your second wish will come true. I'm not holding my breath for the first one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:42 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I have two wishes:

- That it be downtown and adjacent to (or incorporating) a c-train station. I know that it has been hinted that the location would be North of the Saddledome in Vic Park, so technically further from the Stampede Station. I'd prefer something where the Big 4 currently sits.
It would be pretty close to a future SE LRT station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:42 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I have two wishes:

- That the architecture be modern, original, and inspiring. (I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

- That it be downtown and adjacent to (or incorporating) a c-train station. I know that it has been hinted that the location would be North of the Saddledome in Vic Park, so technically further from the Stampede Station. I'd prefer something where the Big 4 currently sits.
Even if it moves north closer to 12th avenue it will eventually be close to a future SELRT station.

Edit: Beaten by seconds!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:44 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Just put it out by crossiron mills.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:49 PM
Stang Stang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Just put it out by crossiron mills.
Despite your laughing jester: not cool. At least the club seems to agree that it should be centrally located as well. And the points made about it being close to a SE LRT station are quite true indeed. The stadium would obviously pre-date the SE LRT, but hopefully not for more than a few years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:01 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
Three wishes:

-Central location
-Modern style
-Retractable roof
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:16 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
Three wishes:

-Central location
-Modern style
-Retractable roof
-monorail


....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:42 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,407
The walk from the LRT to the Saddledome is already pretty long. I assume it wouldn't be much longer if they built the new arena just to the North of the Stampede site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:53 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
-monorail


....
But where would the children play?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:58 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
So lets assume that the preliminary design process has begun and just needs to be approved and finalized. From shovel in the ground to completion how long would the constructions process take? 2 years?
Considering it takes 9+ months to build a concrete apron for a train platform, in this city I'd say at least 12 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:14 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I heard rumours that the stampede location will not be suitable for a new arena. It will likely be located in............who knows........
You know, last night watching the LA v.SJ game I was blown away by the size of the Staples centre from above, it covers some serious square footage. I have always thought that the 12th ave site on the Stampede grounds doesn't seem large enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Design work is definitely under way to some extent.

I've heard that the Flames aren't looking for funding from outside, for a big part because funding usually comes with shared revenue, and the Flames want 100% of the revenue from the building.
If the Flames want 100% revenue does this have any affect on the relationship between the Flames and the Stampede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I have two wishes:

- That the architecture be modern, original, and inspiring. (I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

- That it be downtown and adjacent to (or incorporating) a c-train station. I know that it has been hinted that the location would be North of the Saddledome in Vic Park, so technically further from the Stampede Station. I'd prefer something where the Big 4 currently sits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
It would be pretty close to a future SE LRT station.
I am sure that if the Flames had their way they too would like a modern looking building. The American Airlines arena is the closest example in the league to Stampitecture and man is it unappealing. I think that the possiblity of an off-stampede ground arena would really allow for something modern and chic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
I think a new 'dome would work out great in the West Village on either the GSL Chev city site or Renfrew Chrysler site. Decent access to the WLRT, prominent riverfront location (postcards galore) and still very central.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807


We dont need two dead spaces in the downtown area (stampede)......and I am hoping to one day relocate to the west village in a condo.......(15 year plan)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 3:59 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post


We dont need two dead spaces in the downtown area (stampede)......and I am hoping to one day relocate to the west village in a condo.......(15 year plan)
Actually I would love to see the new arena and a new football stadium right there. Then we could have an arena district built up around the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:33 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
So it appears the City of Edmonton and the Oilers have come to an agreement on building/funding a new arena. Will this help act as a catalyst for a new arena in Calgary?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.