HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:11 AM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I've already acknowledged that downtown Vancouver activity is far higher than downtown Calgary outside of business hours. I stand by my comments:
not really sure what you are trying to say....nothing feels more urban or big city about calgary, other than the horrific urban sprawl.

Vancouver is also a very busy place during the day, the CBD, robson. etc is teaming with bodies...Calgary does get busier during the day, but I in no way shape or form can say more so than Vancouver.

I dislike calgary with a passion....while marginally better than Edmonton's core, it is whoefully lacking....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:29 AM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
not really sure what you are trying to say....nothing feels more urban or big city about calgary, other than the horrific urban sprawl.
...
I dislike calgary with a passion....while marginally better than Edmonton's core, it is whoefully lacking....
Perhaps I'm not expressing myself well. I'll try again: in my opinion, Calgary feels more "big city" than Vancouver in one way: it has more of a commercial/corporate atmosphere in terms of architecture and people on the streets wearing suits (for lack of a better indicator). Incidentally, this is demonstrably true (in terms of corporate presence in each city's CBD). Vancouver is clearly more urban and has more of a "big city" atmosphere in every or nearly every other way.

Other cities (albeit mostly much larger ones) also feel more "big city" than Vancouver in (at least) this one respect (commercial or corporate atmosphere). In my opinion, Vancouver lacks this atmosphere. Perhaps you don't think that this is an important element of "big city" atmosphere. Fair enough. In my experience, having been to a fairly large number of the world's very largest cities, and living in at least one of them (no, not Regina), I do think that this is an important element in creating that atmosphere.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say now? Are you still offended? Incidentally, I have no interest in this turning into a city v. city debate. I'm sorry to hear that you dislike Calgary with a passion. Seems a strange thing to be passionate about, but to each their own.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:54 AM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Perhaps I'm not expressing myself well. I'll try again: in my opinion, Calgary feels more "big city" than Vancouver in one way: it has more of a commercial/corporate atmosphere in terms of architecture and people on the streets wearing suits (for lack of a better indicator). Incidentally, this is demonstrably true (in terms of corporate presence in each city's CBD). Vancouver is clearly more urban and has more of a "big city" atmosphere in every or nearly every other way.

Other cities (albeit mostly much larger ones) also feel more "big city" than Vancouver in (at least) this one respect (commercial or corporate atmosphere). In my opinion, Vancouver lacks this atmosphere. Perhaps you don't think that this is an important element of "big city" atmosphere. Fair enough. In my experience, having been to a fairly large number of the world's very largest cities, and living in at least one of them (no, not Regina), I do think that this is an important element in creating that atmosphere.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say now? Are you still offended? Incidentally, I have no interest in this turning into a city v. city debate. I'm sorry to hear that you dislike Calgary with a passion. Seems a strange thing to be passionate about, but to each their own.
now now , no need to get flip ....I have also lived in many other cities and countries, including London. Not sure what you mean by big city architecture...true that most high rises there are office towers, but to suggest that it feels more big city even if it is a narrow segment you are suggesting. I am there often.... i don't see it.

I was not offended, just found it laughable that Calgary and bigger city feel vs vancouver were used interchangebly in your post. It is no secret that there are more head offices in Calgary vs here, but i simply don't find that the street activity associated with it (and granted this is largely what the street life is during the day) creates a more big city feel., business atire or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:12 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Vancouver's future pathway

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post

we may well yearn for greatness, but vancouver's way, young jedis, lies along another path.

Which path does our way lie along? What is the future role of Vancouver, as you see it, please? I'm in no way questioning your remark. I'm really interested where you think we are going. Into what type of city are we growing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:25 AM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Which path does our way lie along? What is the future role of Vancouver, as you see it, please? I'm in no way questioning your remark. I'm really interested where you think we are going. Into what type of city are we growing?
a more mature one? I believe/hope that the vancouver 10 years from now will be more international, with better culture, improved transit and just generally more grown up and organic. When i look at the changes over the past two decades, i can see great things for the place.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:34 AM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Imagine that view now without renders...

And to think the downtown peninsula, while mostly built-out, still has hundreds of low-mid rise lots that can be redeveloped. What we've seen in the past 25 years is only the shell of what the city will be in 2061, or even just 2036.
it is astonishing...i have been here about 20 years, but started coming here around 1989....it is truly remarkable the changes that have taken place in that time. One can only imagine what the future will bring....sure is fun watching the little fella grow up!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 9:36 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Question what is your vision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
a more mature one? I believe/hope that the vancouver 10 years from now will be more international, with better culture, improved transit and just generally more grown up and organic. When i look at the changes over the past two decades, i can see great things for the place.....

Yes. I agree with you on all counts.
I suppose I meant, what will the city's economy be?
A major corporate centre? Not likely!! (Calgary, quite possibly)
A tourist-oriented town? A convention city? A medical research centre with a major pharmaceutical infrastructure? An international banking centre (such as some cities in Switzerland)? A major seaport, logging, and mining centre (rather the way it is now)? ........... or something additional and different? I know there are a lot of different facets to the economy already, but will Vancouver become the focal point of one or more? Or is it destined to remain a branch-plant town with a respectable film industry and retiree community; an overseas investment haven for real estate buyers? What? Please ... I am NOT being facetious. I just would like an idea of what kind of city to expect ..... love to hear people's ideas and predictions .......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:32 AM
agrant's Avatar
agrant agrant is offline
Cheers!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,869
I love Jameson House! There, can't say I was off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I suppose I meant, what will the city's economy be?
A major corporate centre? Not likely!! (Calgary, quite possibly)
A tourist-oriented town? A convention city? A medical research centre with a major pharmaceutical infrastructure? An international banking centre (such as some cities in Switzerland)? A major seaport, logging, and mining centre (rather the way it is now)? ........... or something additional and different? I know there are a lot of different facets to the economy already, but will Vancouver become the focal point of one or more? Or is it destined to remain a branch-plant town with a respectable film industry and retiree community; an overseas investment haven for real estate buyers? What? Please ... I am NOT being facetious. I just would like an idea of what kind of city to expect ..... love to hear people's ideas and predictions .......
Probably more of the same, if we're talking about the next decade or two. Beyond that, it'd be like predicting next months weather. We're a port city, that isn't going to change. We've been into the resource (forestry etc.) business since day one, and that'll probably continue with all the demand from China... Vancouver also has a lot going for it as far as being a tourist destination, and I see this growing bit by bit if the city can get their act together. We'll see growth in the tech area, like green technology. As a major corporate city, probably not, but we can only become more corporate. So more of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:32 PM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
now now , no need to get flip ....I have also lived in many other cities and countries, including London. Not sure what you mean by big city architecture...true that most high rises there are office towers, but to suggest that it feels more big city even if it is a narrow segment you are suggesting. I am there often.... i don't see it.

I was not offended, just found it laughable that Calgary and bigger city feel vs vancouver were used interchangebly in your post. It is no secret that there are more head offices in Calgary vs here, but i simply don't find that the street activity associated with it (and granted this is largely what the street life is during the day) creates a more big city feel., business atire or not.
Fair enough. I think we can just agree to disagree on this small point. We've taken this thread far enough off topic I think. Agreed?

Anyway, just to reiterate, I love the aesthetic of Jameson House. I think it turned out great. Canada is lucky to have a couple of Foster-designed skyscrapers now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:39 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Fair enough. I think we can just agree to disagree on this small point. We've taken this thread far enough off topic I think. Agreed?

Anyway, just to reiterate, I love the aesthetic of Jameson House. I think it turned out great. Canada is lucky to have a couple of Foster-designed skyscrapers now.


YES!! (now if only they'd do something with that hideous 🞵🞵🞵-end of the building) .....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:12 PM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
This may
Nevertheless, for urbanity, Vancouver somehow wins out, even though it's rainier (and a litttle less walkable as a result).
Fun Facts (from Wiki)

Metro Vancouver | Metro Seattle

Population: 2,116,581 (2006) | 3,407,848 (2010)

Land Area 2,877 sqkm | 15,265 sqkm

Population density might have a little something to do with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:43 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Vancouver will boom in the next two decades. The city is a major player in the global mining sector which is set to boom for the forseeable future as demand is going to put intense pressure on supply, driving up revenues and profits for base mineral miners, which vancouver has in abundance.

As far as Vancouver's urbanity, its a very interesting connundrum which I have put an awful lot of thought into over the years. What I feel is that Vancouver has immense density of a NA city, but it attempts to hide it through its architecture and urban design, hence why its streets seem busy but the overall city has a smaller city feel. Its an incredible feat to have achieved the denisty the city enjoys yet still have quaint neighbourhood feels. Neighbourhoods with similar density ive lived in in Toronto or Singapore often have much bigger city feels due to lack of greenery, ground level development design and tower massing.

This forum often focusses on Vancouverism inventing the point tower, but I think Vancouverism's most impressive feat is in its neighbourhood design and its ability to hide density at the street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post


YES!! (now if only they'd do something with that hideous 🞵🞵🞵-end of the building) .....
They will, buildings will be built all around it and you will barely be able to see that side of the building... hence its neglect in design and hence me not hating jameson for its lack of backside elegance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 7:28 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Nothing much to see in this pic but I thought I'd post it anyway:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 8:10 AM
vansky vansky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 928
some streets in this city feel really premitive and small town, but it's good because it gives an alternative option to big city noise and traffic. 15 yrs into the future, the suburbs will have true urban centers, and we r living through history right now haha...the question is how would it look like in the future, just condos, restaurants and people or sth else...

my friend, who visited a week ago, thought she would see an unique canadian metropolis, but ended up seeing just another city...condos, restaurants and "subways"...

and she was comparing it to new york,(not a good comparison but many still make it)ppl got high expectations for vancouver, we have to realize that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
PROSTSHOCKER's Avatar
PROSTSHOCKER PROSTSHOCKER is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Which path does our way lie along? What is the future role of Vancouver, as you see it, please? I'm in no way questioning your remark. I'm really interested where you think we are going. Into what type of city are we growing?

A path that probably won't be where the only people downtown are to be found between 9-5 wearing suits with blackberries attached to their skulls.

There seems to be a cognitive dissonance between what a city is (a dense settlement full of people) and a "big city feel" (a hollowed out core purposed almost entirely to serve surburban commuters)

Something more in line to the term posted earlier; "Mas European"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 7:24 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Arrow .... that "big city" feel .... what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTSHOCKER View Post

There seems to be a cognitive dissonance between what a city is (a dense settlement full of people) and a "big city feel" (a hollowed out core purposed almost entirely to serve surburban commuters)

Is that how you perceive "big city feel?" I don't think it has to be hollow, soul-less, and desolate the way you portray it. I think it's a combination of urban geography, yes, but also, culture, living, amenities, shopping, mentality, range of content and interest, as well as just a work-magnet for commuters.

New York is probably the ultimate example of "big city feel," and these days, with safer streets, it's busy, fascinating, cultured, and alive virtually 24 / 24. Much the same applies to Montreal on a smaller scale. There, the nightlife never stops. I would be interested to hear other people's definitions of "big city feel." This may be much more subjective than otherwise thought.

The elegant side of Jameson House, in my opinion, contributes its per centage to that feeling in Vancouver, BTW.

Any further ideas, ladies and gentlemen?

Last edited by trofirhen; Mar 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 8:00 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Nothing much to see in this pic but I thought I'd post it anyway:


There may not be much to see, per se, yet it somehow exudes that "big city feel" people are talking about just now. The convex University Club building (????), and the arches of JH complement each other well here. Interesting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 8:51 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
my friend, who visited a week ago, thought she would see an unique canadian metropolis, but ended up seeing just another city...condos, restaurants and "subways"...
What was she expecting, highrise igloos?

Buildings are buildings are buildings. Streets have retail.
We have more street life and streetscape asthetic qualities than a lot of US cities.
We are after all, a young North American city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 2:10 AM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
some streets in this city feel really premitive and small town, but it's good because it gives an alternative option to big city noise and traffic. 15 yrs into the future, the suburbs will have true urban centers, and we r living through history right now haha...the question is how would it look like in the future, just condos, restaurants and people or sth else...

my friend, who visited a week ago, thought she would see an unique canadian metropolis, but ended up seeing just another city...condos, restaurants and "subways"...

and she was comparing it to new york,(not a good comparison but many still make it)ppl got high expectations for vancouver, we have to realize that
yep, that's called a city.....what was she looking for, the hanging gardens of babylon? heards of wilder beasts rampaging down Robson.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 7:37 PM
Phil McAvity Phil McAvity is offline
Supertall
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
yep, that's called a city.....what was she looking for, the hanging gardens of babylon? heards of wilder beasts rampaging down Robson.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
and she was comparing it to new york,(not a good comparison but many still make it)ppl got high expectations for vancouver, we have to realize that
They're actually called "wildebeests", but I agree with you guys and while it may seem flattering to get compared to the big apple, it's like comparing Halifax to San Diego. New York and Vancouver are apples and oranges for all kinds of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
The convex University Club building (????)
You included the question marks for a good reason because i'm pretty sure the convex building in the foreground is actually the Terminal City Club Tower.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.