Quite a few things to respond to here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha
It's fear mongering to say "projects like that fail or sit empty".
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim
Let the developer decide if they want to build parking, let's not mandate developers to build parking. If the building is unsuccessful, oh well, lesson learned by the developer that parking is required.
|
If it's fearmongering then it wasn't my own. I was merely responding to it, as you were. My response was that that attitude wasn't particularly helpful to the debate and probably bad for DT development. Like I said in my previous post, I'd rather wait and have a development that is fully financed and is most apt to be financially viable. This means, right now, that parking should be included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha
You are scared of the unknown.
|
No. I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha
Oh no, "no parking" means I cannot park. No, that's not what we're saying.
|
It's also not something I saddled you with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha
Rent a space from a nearby public garage. Boston has huge multistory parking lots owned by the city and then they require no new parking by developers. Residents can rent a space. Walk a block and pay for your "right to park". That's the policy we need in certain areas of LA (not everywhere).
|
Sounds like a great idea. But those garages need to be in place first before we can demand (or should expect) developments to ease up on parking spaces on their own property lest they take the serious risk of become financially unsound.
But then again this doesn't seem at all different from what I was advocating. I was saying that as transit options, not just DT but city wide, increase that parking requirements could feesibly decrease. The problem is that those options aren't fully there and the ones that are there aren't easily connected. YET. When they become so then that will be a significant shift in how Angelenos can get around their city. Parking requirements should lessen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha
We're not talking armaggedon here. It's not like San Francisco, New York, Chicago have absolutely no parking. Just cut down a few spaces...make it cheaper for developers, and in turn, cheaper for us to buy/rent. Do you know why market rate housing in downtown LA is expensive? You've answered your own question.
|
I'm not talking armaggedon either. Where did I? It is, however, disingenous to plan DT as if it already contained the transit resources of SF or Chi or NYC. It doesn't. Not yet. As it gets closer to these cities in terms of transit connectivity then yes, of course our planning should reflect that.
The very fact that we have had such an increase in TOD since Villaraigosa became mayor is indicative of the fact that the city is changing. This is great news! It's what urbanists like me (and you!) have always wanted. But we need to plan the best way to reach our goals and developing now as if we already have reached those goals is a bad idea.