HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8101  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 9:16 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,996
Its better than whats there now, a parking lot. It wouldnt even be that prominent in the skyline. Its not exactly attractive but at least it adds density to that part of downtown, which could use a hotel to liven it up a bit.
__________________
Kill your lawn
     
     
  #8102  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 9:59 PM
Downtown_Austin's Avatar
Downtown_Austin Downtown_Austin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Its better than whats there now, a parking lot. It wouldnt even be that prominent in the skyline. Its not exactly attractive but at least it adds density to that part of downtown, which could use a hotel to liven it up a bit.
First, I like your signature.

Second, I tend to agree and I'm willing to forgo perfection for the sake of progress when the subject property is a surface level parking lot.
     
     
  #8103  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:15 PM
jowens jowens is offline
on the south side
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 601
Well it looks slightly better than the Hampton next door.

I locked my keys in my vehicle on that parking lot during ACL last year.........not a good time for road-side assitance.
__________________
Southwest Austin
     
     
  #8104  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:42 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Hyatt Place isn't so bad. It's better than its neighbor. I'll take that glass facade over some phony pretend stone facade any day. It won't be very tall either. The Hampton Inn & Suites nextdoor is 166 feet. I'm thinking Hyatt Place will probably be around 180 feet or so.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #8105  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:33 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio / Austin
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
^Ah man, with all the possible hotels that are already proposed and could go up,,,,we get this ugly thing. I hope it doesn't take away from the possibility of getting a few others started.
Yeah, that's a pretty boring design..HOWEVER I do like the design better than that fake stone facade 🞵🞵🞵🞵 (Hampton).
     
     
  #8106  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:48 AM
OfCourse's Avatar
OfCourse OfCourse is offline
robert die katze
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC | Harlingen, TX
Posts: 1,297
Pretty boring design - but Hyatt Places are pretty good hotels.
__________________
"Occasionally I think about doing something to change my situation, but where am I going to get hold of a stealth bomber?"
     
     
  #8107  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 6:18 PM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAustinResident View Post
They have begun selling PSL's for the venue in the W. As well as the suites. They have 330 seats available and 5 suites. The website which at this point is just a place holder is acl-live.com.
They have the site up and going now as well as a good bit of their opening line up.

Code:
THU 2 / 10                      IMAGINATION MOVERS
FRI 2 / 11                      CODY CANADA & THE DEPARTED
SUN 2 / 13 & MON 2 / 14         WILLIE NELSON
FRI 2 / 18                      LOS AMIGOS INVISIBLES & TROMBONE SHORTY
SAT 2 / 19                      STYX
WED 2 / 23                      GIPSY KINGS
SUN 2 / 27                      DIANA ROSS
....
FRI 3 / 25                      JAMES COTTON SUPERHARP
....
SAT 4 / 02                      JOHN MELLENCAMP
TUE 4 / 05                      JEFF BECK
WED 4 / 27                      TONY BENNETT
FRI 4 / 29                      BLUE OCTOBER
http://www.acl-live.com/
     
     
  #8108  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 8:47 PM
mars-man's Avatar
mars-man mars-man is offline
the air is great up here
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Austin
Posts: 171
Yikes, time has not been kind to John Cougar Mellonhead.

Diana Ross, on the other hand, appears to be aging in reverse. Luckily there is plenty of hair to hide the many folds of flesh from all that pulling. Imagine her bald!

For those interested in seeing the space on opening night while helping out KLRU, $150 tickets are available at http://www.klru.org/openingnight/. Acts are still to be announced so it's a bit of a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, but it does look like a fun way to benefit the station if you are so inclined.

Rock on, KLRU, PBS, and ACL!
     
     
  #8109  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 9:29 PM
P3FE's Avatar
P3FE P3FE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Does anyone have any theories as to why the night time lighting for so many downtown buildings has been solid blue for the past week or better? Even buildings that are historically constantly white lit, like the Chase building and One American Place, have gone blue. Originally, I thought this may have been a tip of the hat to veterans but the effect remains.
     
     
  #8110  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 8:12 AM
Raining Inside Raining Inside is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ASATex Megaplex
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3FE View Post
Does anyone have any theories as to why the night time lighting for so many downtown buildings has been solid blue for the past week or better? Even buildings that are historically constantly white lit, like the Chase building and One American Place, have gone blue. Originally, I thought this may have been a tip of the hat to veterans but the effect remains.
Last year at this time downtown buildings went blue for World Diabetes Day. So maybe it's for the same thing this year.
     
     
  #8111  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 9:10 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Hmm, I might need to go downtown tomorrow...
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #8112  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:51 AM
Paul in S.A TX's Avatar
Paul in S.A TX Paul in S.A TX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Far West Bexar County
Posts: 3,630
cool video flyover of Austin.

• Video Link
__________________
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.
     
     
  #8113  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
AustinSkyscrapers's Avatar
AustinSkyscrapers AustinSkyscrapers is offline
Going Up ___///|||
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 700
Hello everyone. I'm back after months. Can someone fill me in on what happened so far? I went out in June and I don't know what happened since.
__________________
-------------------------------------
Austin, SkyscraperPage Forum, Me!
-------------------------------------
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

     
     
  #8114  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkyscrapers View Post
Hello everyone. I'm back after months. Can someone fill me in on what happened so far? I went out in June and I don't know what happened since.
Well I am new but here are some of the newer things. Not any skyscraper type stuff though.

There is the big Waller Creek Project... http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/wallercreek/

The new green airport and green business park in Bastrop... http://www.centexairport.com/

The big F1 Track... http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/promoter-unveils-f1-track-layout-890582.html

I don't know if any of that is new to you or not, and I'm sure there are other things I'm just not thinking of atm. Anyway, Welcome Back!
     
     
  #8115  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 5:12 PM
WAustinResident's Avatar
WAustinResident WAustinResident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 144
I've been told to be ready to close and move into the W around mid January if all goes according to plan. Its the first time they have mentioned a specific date or time for my unit.
     
     
  #8116  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 1:55 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,996
Photos by me from Sunday.










Does anyone know if anything is planned to get built on that terrible hole of a parking lot in from of the Austonion on Congress Ave.? Its such a prime location, doesnt make sense that nothing is there.
__________________
Kill your lawn
     
     
  #8117  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:04 AM
Downtown_Austin's Avatar
Downtown_Austin Downtown_Austin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
This rocks.
     
     
  #8118  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:51 AM
jowens jowens is offline
on the south side
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Does anyone know if anything is planned to get built on that terrible hole of a parking lot in from of the Austonion on Congress Ave.? Its such a prime location, doesnt make sense that nothing is there.
Great pics photolitherland!!!

Yep, the concrete desert across from the Austonian on Congress, was to be a 1000 room Marriott Convention Center hotel. Obviously it has been put on hold because of the economy, or possibly scrapped all together. I'm sure someone else on the thread can give the full scope.

One of the tragedies of razing the buildings for this hotel, was the loss of the favorite - sacred Las Manitas Mexican cafe. When you see that nothing still hasn't been built on that site, it makes it all the worse.
__________________
Southwest Austin
     
     
  #8119  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:09 AM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Photos by me from Sunday.

Does anyone know if anything is planned to get built on that terrible hole of a parking lot in from of the Austonion on Congress Ave.? Its such a prime location, doesnt make sense that nothing is there.
Great pictures! Thank you for posting those. I really love the first one. We are so lucky to have such a great lake and environment around that lake downtown, and with that backdrop from the Seaholm down to the buildings on Congress it is just a perfect spot.

I heard the same about that convention hotel. There has been more talk about it recently though. I know the Mayor really really wants a new convention hotel. Normally I'm not big fan of cities investing in stuff, but in this case I think it might be something the city should really look at doing. Many cities have even built those kinds of convention hotels with 100% tax money. I don't like that idea but going partial might be a good idea.

BTW, has anyone been to the AT&T Convention Center & Hotel thingy on UT right by the History Museum? I wanted to go see Los Lonely Boys play there recently but couldn't make it. =(
__________________
Austin, Texas
London, United Kingdom
     
     
  #8120  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:06 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Great pics photolitherland!!!

One of the tragedies of razing the buildings for this hotel, was the loss of the favorite - sacred Las Manitas Mexican cafe. When you see that nothing still hasn't been built on that site, it makes it all the worse.
Wait, the site in front of the Austonian was cleared of buildings to make way for a hotel that wasnt even fully funded yet? Please dont tell me they were like 1800s commercial buildings. I thought most of the old buildings downtown were protected for the most part.
__________________
Kill your lawn
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.