HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2441  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:02 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
Thank you kindly - reported to 311 for removal

p.s. they've received many calls about these - not only for this station.
Not worth the call, do you really think the Nenshi team didn't ensure that it was legal to do this? (they did)

Now reports of McIver and some others having elections signs up on the properties where voting stations are (including a report of an aldermanic candidate actually inside one of the stations talking to people!)...
     
     
  #2442  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:04 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
More than ever I think Nenshi is going to win this.

I'm meeting more people who say they're going to vote for him than not. My boss, who last week as McIver all the way has switched. A good friend of mine, who has never voted in her life, voted for Nenshi today. Not only that, but she's convinced 5 of her friends to switch their vote to Nenshi as well.

I have friends in Edmonton emailing me, saying they wished that Nenshi was running for mayor there, and that they're looking forward to seeing him aspire to higher levels of government.
Yeah I wore my Nenshi pin to school today. The teachers on my staff all seem to be supporters who will be voting for Naheed.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
     
     
  #2443  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:06 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
I'm really hoping we're not all setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Now, normally I catch the evening news to see what the results are, but tonight - 🞵🞵🞵🞵, this is more exciting than most US presidential elections. When do the polls close tonight? I want to plant my 🞵🞵🞵🞵 square in front of the TV and watch this whole thing unfold.
     
     
  #2444  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:09 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
^^ We might be, but at least the whole ordeal wasn't one where the winner was a complete forgone conclusion.. like pretty much every other election I've voted in. I'm not being cynical, I just think the comments that I'm reading about Nenshi winning with a landslides etc is pretty hopeful I expect it to be close, and by close I mean McIver vs Nenshi, with Higgins a bit back.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2445  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:09 PM
srperrycgy's Avatar
srperrycgy srperrycgy is offline
I'm the bear on the right
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary (Killarney)
Posts: 1,670
Creating my election night colouring map on Google Maps right now. Links later.
__________________
Stevinder.
* * * * * *
     
     
  #2446  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:17 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
The polls close at 8pm tonight.
     
     
  #2447  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:18 PM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'm really hoping we're not all setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Now, normally I catch the evening news to see what the results are, but tonight - 🞵🞵🞵🞵, this is more exciting than most US presidential elections. When do the polls close tonight? I want to plant my 🞵🞵🞵🞵 square in front of the TV and watch this whole thing unfold.
8pm, CTV is starting their coverage right at 8, not sure about the other networks.
__________________
Arts!: Click to listen
     
     
  #2448  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:20 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
I think Shaw on channel 10 is up and running at 8pm also.
     
     
  #2449  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:20 PM
Radley77's Avatar
Radley77 Radley77 is offline
The City That Moves
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeland, Calgary
Posts: 1,450
As a general rule I find the C-train stations overly sterile. I liked the chalk ads at the Bridgeland station this AM. LRT stations are gateways to communities; would be nice if there was small community board space devoted to neighbourhood events.

I remember at my university how important some of these community spaces were... Things like a community board might also give people a greater sense that the LRT plugs them in to a community and help deter vandalism.

Sort of off topic, but am glad that Nenshi's campaign team was able to recognize the potential for engaging people via LRT stations.
     
     
  #2450  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:22 PM
LFRENCH's Avatar
LFRENCH LFRENCH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,121
removed for a misquote

Last edited by LFRENCH; Oct 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Mis quoted
     
     
  #2451  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:27 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,227
Why call 311 over chalk writing on the sidewalk? it only lasts a couple days.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #2452  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:31 PM
mooky mooky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Why call 311 over chalk writing on the sidewalk? it only lasts a couple days.
Because some people *cough*TallDrinkOfWater*cough* have a bur up their backsides about anyone but McIver winning.
     
     
  #2453  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:44 PM
mooky mooky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 482
     
     
  #2454  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:47 PM
floobie floobie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
If anything it will be an interesting exercise in determining if youth will put their vote where their mouth is when politically engaged.
Well, I just did my part. 23 is still "youth", right?

The process was really fast. I spent maybe 4 minutes at the polling station.
     
     
  #2455  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:59 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Wow, if you are that threatened by chalk on a sidewalk, kids chalk Hopscotch squares on a sidewalk must send you into a complete tizzy.
It's graffiti. If this guy had enough support out there he'd be able to afford signs.
     
     
  #2456  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:59 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Well, I just did my part. 23 is still "youth", right?

The process was really fast. I spent maybe 4 minutes at the polling station.
Don't worry, under 30 is still youth, you whippersnapper.
Make sure your friends are also getting out to the polls.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2457  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Wait a second - we have (tens of?) thousands of plastic and steel signs littering every square inch of public space. With the wind we get in this city, many of them have blown into traffic and at pedestrians. Based on every election up until now, a large number of them will still be up halfway through winter, and I'll be cleaning the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 things out of my yard in April once the snow goes. I'm now personally responsible for killing at least one full-sized tree just cleaning out my mailbox from all the unsolicited campaign spam, and I can no longer answer my 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 telephone because 90% of my phone calls are now robo-dialers from Barb Higgins.

Chalk, which cannot possibly harm anyone even in a person's most insane imaginings, washes off in the first rainstorm, and isn't even noticeable unless you're staring at your feet - THIS is your concern?!?

You're a piece of work, my friend. A real piece of work. Get some 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 perspective.
Clean up teams will be dispatched - that speaks to the legality of this tactic. So think a little before you start believing you can do whatever you please just because you back nenshi.

You can't say the same for those election signs - those are permitted.
     
     
  #2458  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Why call 311 over chalk writing on the sidewalk? it only lasts a couple days.
So nenshi supporters are above the law. Great.
     
     
  #2459  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:03 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not worth the call, do you really think the Nenshi team didn't ensure that it was legal to do this? (they did)

Now reports of McIver and some others having elections signs up on the properties where voting stations are (including a report of an aldermanic candidate actually inside one of the stations talking to people!)...
municipal elections act allows you to campaign anywhere but inside the doors of the voting station. If their going to send teams to clean up the chalk - its not legal.
     
     
  #2460  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:04 PM
mooky mooky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
So nenshi supporters are above the law. Great.
IT'S CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You frakking lunatic.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.