HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4961  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 1:54 AM
dtgeek dtgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
San Jose CA has their airport about 1 mile from downtown, that's too bad because with the money in that city they could probably build some really nice skyscrapers. Downtown Airports are convenient, but they limit growth.
I live in the area and as nice as that would be, it's a pipe dream. Without the airport, the buildings might be slightly taller, but that's it. There isn't much demand for commercial office space there, otherwise there would be more than the existing handful of low-mid rise offices. Combine this with the fact the whole south bay has no real public transit, is 100% car oriented, has an abundance of real estate right next to the bay that isn't very good for housing, and there's not much reason to lease in a tower there versus SF 40 minutes north.
     
     
  #4962  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 2:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,146
Edmonton from a friend's new condo last night



     
     
  #4963  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 2:29 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,146
^for those that dont know, the large grassy parking lot on the left is the proposed new downtown arena/casino/hotels with the entertainment area and office tower directly across to the right in another lot.
     
     
  #4964  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 4:55 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
Lot's of room in that 2nd pic for some real density, hope it gets approved.
     
     
  #4965  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:14 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
That looks like a good location for an arena district, here's hoping you get it.
     
     
  #4966  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:20 PM
floobie floobie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
TO from the east end, posted by lucci at SSC.....

I can't believe no one responded to this. Absolutely gorgeous!
     
     
  #4967  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:50 PM
David1gray's Avatar
David1gray David1gray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 739
^ i didnt see that, its an amazing shot
     
     
  #4968  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 5:54 PM
David1gray's Avatar
David1gray David1gray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 739
halifax, looking out over the harbour and kings wharf construction.


by me
     
     
  #4969  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:02 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
That TO shot is just a tad too over processed for my likings.
     
     
  #4970  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:18 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
I can't believe no one responded to this. Absolutely gorgeous!
I was going to, something along the lines of:

"Wow, look at all that empty space in Toronto. You guys have no density, why do you keep comparing yourselves to Chicago and Dubai?"




Seriously, my favorite part of that shots is the clouds and the mood in conveys. I've been dying for a real nice storm that I could use as a backdrop with the Calgary skyline.
     
     
  #4971  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:25 PM
floobie floobie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I was going to, something along the lines of:

"Wow, look at all that empty space in Toronto. You guys have no density, why do you keep comparing yourselves to Chicago and Dubai?"




Seriously, my favorite part of that shots is the clouds and the mood in conveys. I've been dying for a real nice storm that I could use as a backdrop with the Calgary skyline.
Agreed. The clouds make it. It's overall a really contrasty shot, I think.

I'm surprised the weather hasn't provided in the last week or so. The clouds were pretty insane towards the west-north-west yesterday evening. You'd think that would be about perfect, from your ritzy perch.
     
     
  #4972  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:37 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgeek View Post
I live in the area and as nice as that would be, it's a pipe dream. Without the airport, the buildings might be slightly taller, but that's it. There isn't much demand for commercial office space there, otherwise there would be more than the existing handful of low-mid rise offices. Combine this with the fact the whole south bay has no real public transit, is 100% car oriented, has an abundance of real estate right next to the bay that isn't very good for housing, and there's not much reason to lease in a tower there versus SF 40 minutes north.
I noticed how car oriented it was when I was down there and was kind of surprised, SJ seems to be the anti SF.
     
     
  #4973  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:39 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Agreed. The clouds make it. It's overall a really contrasty shot, I think.

I'm surprised the weather hasn't provided in the last week or so. The clouds were pretty insane towards the west-north-west yesterday evening. You'd think that would be about perfect, from your ritzy perch.
You would think so, but it is also a combination of me now being home at the right time. The other problem is I would like a nice big cumulonimbus on its own, not melding into surrounding clouds. I have yet to get something like that in the 2 years and a bit I have lived there.
     
     
  #4974  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
This one below was posted in the Halifax section by Bluenoser. I like the contrast of the birds, blue water and the skyline. Halifax might not have the top skyline in Canada but it is in a great location (on the Atlantic ocean).

I hope Bluenoser doesn't mind me posting his picture. It is one of the best that I have seen of Halifax.

(source; Bluenoser at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139715&page=27 )
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
...and, for no specific reason, some photos from around the site:

The inspiration for the name?
     
     
  #4975  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:52 PM
Darkoshvilli Darkoshvilli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,476
     
     
  #4976  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I was going to, something along the lines of:

"Wow, look at all that empty space in Toronto. You guys have no density, why do you keep comparing yourselves to Chicago and Dubai?"



The right side of the pic is just one of our "East Village" scale redevelopments in case you're interested.
     
     
  #4977  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 11:19 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The right side of the pic is just one of our "East Village" scale redevelopments in case you're interested.
The brownfield north of those rail lines? Are there any renderings of what the potential development will look like?
     
     
  #4978  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 12:56 AM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Calgary skyline on July 18th:

     
     
  #4979  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 1:58 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The brownfield north of those rail lines? Are there any renderings of what the potential development will look like?
There are but the majority of the site hasn't gone through a competition yet. The greenspace and buildings that have are quite promising though.

Shows how deceptive these skyline shot can be ... the lake side of the rail yard, the lush green wooded area, is currently a trash heap of rusted metal and razor wire fences.
     
     
  #4980  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 2:57 AM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The brownfield north of those rail lines? Are there any renderings of what the potential development will look like?
These aren't the final architectural designs, but give a good indication of the general massing and site plan:






Source: Waterfront Toronto

This would be the West Don Lands on the right side of this:

Source: Elliot on SSC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I was going to, something along the lines of:

"Wow, look at all that empty space in Toronto. You guys have no density, why do you keep comparing yourselves to Chicago and Dubai?"
Its not as if Chicago doesn't have derelict industrial areas too...

And Dubai is dense? Thats certainly news to me.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.