As for my earlier post (my first ever on SSP - love this site!), before the tower had gained a great deal of height, it in combination with the ship-prow-like front end, created a pirate ship image. As a child growing up in Vancouver, I have fond memories of the pirate pack from White Spot. I know it's a stretch, but at that stage of the project there were a couple of photos that brought out that image.
If it needs pressure washing to keep it from looking shabby, then they're using the wrong material. Concrete like other masonry surfaces is meant to gain some degree of patina as it weathers.
The problem is it won't simply weather, esspecially at that location. It will collect all kinds of particulate from all of the traffic and deisel buses etc. which is then streaked and concentrated by all the rain we get. the texure pattern will enhance the effect because you won't get even sheeting down the wall.
LeftCoaster is right though, at least it shouldn't be green and mossy on the south side, so maybe it won't be so bad.
I thought those exposed concrete facades were supposed to have purple LEDs running horizontally all the way up the building? Is this not happening anymore?
I'm really hoping the LED plan follows through! I recently moved into a 19th floor apartment in the West End with a full skyline view. The only part of West Pender Place I can see though is that concrete section, and I can see quite a bit of it. It would be awesome to see it lit up at night!
No problem - wish I could spend every day riding the seawall snapping pics.
----
So is this one pretty much topped out? In the shot across the water, those look like forms for the mech penthouse.
Nice shot, and interesting. When I was a kid, the Georgian Towers (centre right in photo, on Georgia) was the tallest high-rise in the immediate vicinity, known for its lavish interiors, rooftop restaurant, and kept women, draped in diamonds and mink. Times change.
Nice shot, and interesting. When I was a kid, the Georgian Towers (centre right in photo, on Georgia) was the tallest high-rise in the immediate vicinity, known for its lavish interiors, rooftop restaurant, and kept women, draped in diamonds and mink. Times change.
yup and now its a dump, I would love to see it get redone