HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2521  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 5:52 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Lougheed to Waterfront alone can be 33 to 38 minutes due to the transfer. Add 14 minutes to Coquitlam and that's double West Coast Express
And another benefit of WCE is it's a non-stop run between Port Moody and Waterfront.
     
     
  #2522  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:32 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
If you have to be at work by 8am say at the office building at 6th Ave near Cambie, it's between catching a 7:10am WCE, getting downtown at 7:40am, taking Canada Line to Olympic Village, walking to the office, getting there at 7:52am, vs. catching a Skytrain at Coquitlam Central at 7am, after one transfer getting to Granville at 7:45am, 3 minutes to transfer to Canada Line and a 4 minute ride to Olympic Village, getting there at 7:54am. 12 minutes slower is not too bad but it is two transfers, one from M-Line to E-Line, one from E-Line to C-Line. And going home, you have to stand most of the way vs. having a seat on the West Coast Express. For 25 measily bucks, a majority would choose the West Coast Express. There will be some money crunchers who will say $25 saved is $25 saved and meh.

West Coast Express is timed perfectly for work shifts, they don't need the massive frequency. And in the past year I've missed the train twice. Lower frequency forces you to be more diligent, which is a good thing. When I drove to work or took Skytrain, half the time I was late for work (not that my workplace cares) because I figured I could leave home whenever I want.
     
     
  #2523  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:43 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If you have to be at work by 8am say at the office building at 6th Ave near Cambie, it's between catching a 7:10am WCE, getting downtown at 7:40am, taking Canada Line to Olympic Village, walking to the office, getting there at 7:52am, vs. catching a Skytrain at Coquitlam Central at 7am, after one transfer getting to Granville at 7:45am, 3 minutes to transfer to Canada Line and a 4 minute ride to Olympic Village, getting there at 7:54am. 12 minutes slower is not too bad but it is two transfers, one from M-Line to E-Line, one from E-Line to C-Line. And going home, you have to stand most of the way vs. having a seat on the West Coast Express. For 25 measily bucks, a majority would choose the West Coast Express. There will be some money crunchers who will say $25 saved is $25 saved and meh.

West Coast Express is timed perfectly for work shifts, they don't need the massive frequency. And in the past year I've missed the train twice. Lower frequency forces you to be more diligent, which is a good thing. When I drove to work or took Skytrain, half the time I was late for work (not that my workplace cares) because I figured I could leave home whenever I want.
Agreed. Of course, this situation would change slightly if the M-Line was extended to meet with the Canada Line.

When it comes down to it, I don't care if they built LRT, Streetcar or Rickshaw west of Cambie. Just extend the M-Line to Cambie at least. It just makes too much sense!!!
     
     
  #2524  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:49 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Agreed. Of course, this situation would change slightly if the M-Line was extended to meet with the Canada Line.

When it comes down to it, I don't care if they built LRT, Streetcar or Rickshaw west of Cambie. Just extend the M-Line to Cambie at least. It just makes too much sense!!!
To Cambie? Certainly not. At the very least the end point needs to be at ARBUTUS.
     
     
  #2525  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:25 PM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Bah, you guys have no imagination. Let's take that sucker to Horseshoe Bay, or even Victoria!!



Get on it, Translink!
     
     
  #2526  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:28 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Ahh...see, of the bus routes you've mentioned, most of the 15x are in existence today going to M-Line stations. The 16x seem to be dead, save for the 160 and the 169. The 701? Doesn't that go from Coquitlam Station to Haney/Maple Ridge?

Either way, I wouldn't say that there is a service reduction in getting rid of the bus routes going downtown when a more express option is available.
The 701 does go to Maple Ridge and is very much alive. I forget what it carries but I do believe it is the most used route in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows (possibly PoCo too). We have the numbers somewhere on this forum.

Also, while the west coast express is gret for office employees going downtown from the North East sector, that is only a fraction of the commuters. Any students going to UBC or SFU (among other schools) originating from the North East sector will use the Evergreen Line (I have many friends living in Coquitlam and going to UBC who have dreamed for the Evergreen Line).

Not to mention off hour employees going downtown will use it (Some people actually do work later than the WCE hours).

Also, for anyone going downtown for night entertainment or weekend use the Evergreen Line will be the star choice from the North East sector. Not to mention people going to the airport.

the thing is the Evergreen Line will not see its full potential until the M line is extended as well to UBC (or at least the C-Line).

but there are any people who will use the new E-Line, and even if it only attains 40 000 people a day at the start, that is still an amazing success for a short 11km long line in North America.

I think we have become spoiled by the C-Lines success.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #2527  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:34 PM
NetMapel's Avatar
NetMapel NetMapel is offline
Hello World
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Bah, you guys have no imagination. Let's take that sucker to Horseshoe Bay, or even Victoria!!



Get on it, Translink!
Extend Expo line down to White Rock while you're at it too ! Oh, and Canada Line to Tsawwassen !
     
     
  #2528  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Bah, you guys have no imagination. Let's take that sucker to Horseshoe Bay, or even Victoria!!



Get on it, Translink!
If they made the last stop "UBC-Wreck Beach" it would be quite popular.
     
     
  #2529  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 11:04 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,712
Gordo told the Board of Trade (I think it was them) that Evergreen is going ahead as planned today.

When asked about how it would be funded, he mentioned "the dreaded" P3.

Go Gordo Go!
     
     
  #2530  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 12:32 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Extend Expo line down to White Rock while you're at it too ! Oh, and Canada Line to Tsawwassen !
Canada Line to Seattle!!! Transfer directly to HSR.
     
     
  #2531  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 9:51 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The 701 does go to Maple Ridge and is very much alive. I forget what it carries but I do believe it is the most used route in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows (possibly PoCo too). We have the numbers somewhere on this forum.

Also, while the west coast express is gret for office employees going downtown from the North East sector, that is only a fraction of the commuters. Any students going to UBC or SFU (among other schools) originating from the North East sector will use the Evergreen Line (I have many friends living in Coquitlam and going to UBC who have dreamed for the Evergreen Line).

Not to mention off hour employees going downtown will use it (Some people actually do work later than the WCE hours).

Also, for anyone going downtown for night entertainment or weekend use the Evergreen Line will be the star choice from the North East sector. Not to mention people going to the airport.

the thing is the Evergreen Line will not see its full potential until the M line is extended as well to UBC (or at least the C-Line).

but there are any people who will use the new E-Line, and even if it only attains 40 000 people a day at the start, that is still an amazing success for a short 11km long line in North America.

I think we have become spoiled by the C-Lines success.


A few people on here seem to have the idea that people who work downtown will all just take the WCE. Which I agree most of them will who work the normal 9-5 type of job.

But a lot people also work downtown who don't work the normal 9-5 job and probably drive because they can't be bothered with taking the bus to Lougheed or Braid.

Also there maybe people who could easily take the WCE in the morning. But alot of times their job requires them to stay behind. Which causes them to miss the last WCE. So they just decide to drive because again they don't want the hassle of having to catch a bus going home. Well you could potentionally catch those new customers. As they would realize they don't have to worry about catching a bus.

Also I feel the fact that Coquitlam station is a Park and Ride already. Should help to boost the numbers as well.
     
     
  #2532  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 5:49 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Also there maybe people who could easily take the WCE in the morning. But alot of times their job requires them to stay behind. Which causes them to miss the last WCE. So they just decide to drive because again they don't want the hassle of having to catch a bus going home. Well you could potentionally catch those new customers. As they would realize they don't have to worry about catching a bus.
I normally take the 5:30pm train going home but the 6:20pm train and the 7, 7:30, and 8pm trainbuses are there for me as well. I don't really wish to stay at work any later although last week I did end up catching the 9:30pm train home from work.

If I end up missing the 8pm trainbus, I can rent a Zipcar from 6pm to 8:30am for $39 flat, but it's never happened yet.
     
     
  #2533  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 6:31 PM
Kwik-E-Mart Kwik-E-Mart is offline
A.H.-Ha!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambie Village, Van City
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Gordo told the Board of Trade (I think it was them) that Evergreen is going ahead as planned today.

When asked about how it would be funded, he mentioned "the dreaded" P3.

Go Gordo Go!
At least for the time being until the damn line is complete. From that point onwards my vote goes to the most competent candidate (not necessarily NDP) as he is expected to step down before the next election.

- from a disgruntled Liberal supporter.
     
     
  #2534  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 9:27 PM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Gordo told the Board of Trade (I think it was them) that Evergreen is going ahead as planned today.

When asked about how it would be funded, he mentioned "the dreaded" P3.

Go Gordo Go!
A P3...?

Oh no not that again... ><

(For those who are wondering why, I still regard the Canada Line as part failure for its inability to properly handle future growth in Richmond. Hopefully they over-specify this time rather than just saying the bare minimum...)
     
     
  #2535  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 9:34 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I normally take the 5:30pm train going home but the 6:20pm train and the 7, 7:30, and 8pm trainbuses are there for me as well. I don't really wish to stay at work any later although last week I did end up catching the 9:30pm train home from work.

If I end up missing the 8pm trainbus, I can rent a Zipcar from 6pm to 8:30am for $39 flat, but it's never happened yet.
I realize the trainbus is there for those who need it. But I still wonder how many people don't take the train, because they don't want to get stuck on the train bus. Although I'm sure the number isn't all that great.
     
     
  #2536  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 9:35 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
A P3...?

Oh no not that again... ><

(For those who are wondering why, I still regard the Canada Line as part failure for its inability to properly handle future growth in Richmond. Hopefully they over-specify this time rather than just saying the bare minimum...)

Well one good thing, because the Evergreen Line would be an extension of the Millennium line. That would force them to have a better specification.
     
     
  #2537  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
(For those who are wondering why, I still regard the Canada Line as part failure for its inability to properly handle future growth in Richmond. Hopefully they over-specify this time rather than just saying the bare minimum...)
While there were lineups, the Canada Line managed to handle double the ridership with only 20 trains. There are a few forum members, including myself, who believed from the beginning that the Canada Line can handle a lot of capacity and the Olympic trials have proven this already. It might be packed, but it's possible.

It's also important to note that P3s come in many shapes and sizes: this P3 can and should be a bit different from the Canada Line one.
     
     
  #2538  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:54 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
I know that... surely, you can pack a lot of people into the trains... but I'm not sure how people's attitudes here will make that an easy idea to sell. Yes, you're trying to move as many people as possible efficiently, but then with packed trains, doors become big bottlenecks in the system and you're literally squeezing past people to enter or exit.

Also, the trains were handled with lineups and under the expectation that it is temporary. If the demand were to grow steadily and not decline (as planned) then we may have some major issues like the ones described above.
     
     
  #2539  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 6:54 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I know that... surely, you can pack a lot of people into the trains... but I'm not sure how people's attitudes here will make that an easy idea to sell. Yes, you're trying to move as many people as possible efficiently, but then with packed trains, doors become big bottlenecks in the system and you're literally squeezing past people to enter or exit.

Also, the trains were handled with lineups and under the expectation that it is temporary. If the demand were to grow steadily and not decline (as planned) then we may have some major issues like the ones described above.
While I do feel the ridership will slowly climb, as more buildings are built. I don't feel it will be so fast that suddenly we will have 250,000 on it. The number of trains is supposed to be increased next year as per the agreement.
     
     
  #2540  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:06 AM
CPE's Avatar
CPE CPE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 143
As in we are gonna order more trains or they are just gonna put more into service?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.