HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4541  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
^This comes in our monthy ASUR newsletter, it covers global airline developments.It also mentions the AC developments with cutting back service at YEG and YYC.

Its not so much a announcement as it is a discussion of future plans for Icelandair.
     
     
  #4542  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:01 AM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
cool, thanks for sharing
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #4543  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:09 AM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,554
I'm looking for some WestJet experts out there. I'll be flying WestJet's 738 aircaraft in 2 weeks and i'm trying to find out which seats have no windows. I got stuck with one of these seats a couple of years ago and i'd like to avoid it this time around.

If you go with the seat diagram from WestJet (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/aboutUs/mediaInvestors/ourFleet.shtml) it looks like seats 10A and 10F have no windows.

If you go with the seat diagram from Seat Guru (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Westjet/Westjet_Boeing_737-800.php) it they say seats 11A and 11F have no windows and seat 10A has a misaligned window.

If you go with the seat diagram from Seat Expert (http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/366/WestJet_Boeing_737-800/WS-2202-20100316-YEG-CUN-526/) it looks like seats seats 1A, 1 F and various A and F seats between rows 9 and 12. It looks like there are windows colored out which i assume are the non window seats so to speak.

As well, which WestJet aircraft have seat back TV's? Their website says most of their aircraft have them. I also have read that the 600's are the only planes that don't have the seatback TV's whereas all the 700's and 800's do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
     
     
  #4544  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:21 AM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
^ I have flown with Westjet many many times and have had a seat back TV for every flight no matter the length of flight (Las Vegas, Vancouver, Kelowna, Toronto, Hamilton, Moncton, etc).
     
     
  #4545  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 3:28 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
The thing with the Fly Edmonton First campaign, and this campaign is, major international carriers will likely not serve both edmonton and calgary. YEG will not get BA and KLM and so on. Calgary has two main things going for it that will keep it as a hub, business community and proximity to Banff and the Rockies.
YEG in doing such a campaign is great, the more people flying out of YEG the better. But if everyone decided to fly out of Edmonton, will it really change things? Probably, but not that significantly. I dont think that we will attract KLM and Britishways and Emerates.... YEG needs to figure out how it can be a successful airport serving the needs of Edmonton while respecting what YYC is.
If we do that, I think YEG is a great airport for carriers like Air Berlin, Ryanair, Iceland Express, and S7. We should be working with YYC to be honest and try to carve out what works for both communities.
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #4546  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 3:30 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
As well, which WestJet aircraft have seat back TV's? Their website says most of their aircraft have them. I also have read that the 600's are the only planes that don't have the seatback TV's whereas all the 700's and 800's do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Westjet's newest 800 series does not have the PTV's installed yet. It is the 800 in their special 'Care-antee' livery:


Link

I have been on a few 600 series flights from YYC to Saskatoon that have had the PTV's, I think they are all installed in them now.
     
     
  #4547  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:25 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,554
^I'll be pretty unimpressed in a couple of weeks if they use a non-PTV 738 on a 6 hour flight down to Cancun. I guess we'll see.
     
     
  #4548  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:32 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^I'll be pretty unimpressed in a couple of weeks if they use a non-PTV 738 on a 6 hour flight down to Cancun. I guess we'll see.
Well at least you will know right away if you see that bad special livery at your gate.
     
     
  #4549  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:44 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^I'll be pretty unimpressed in a couple of weeks if they use a non-PTV 738 on a 6 hour flight down to Cancun. I guess we'll see.
Since Bell TVs footprint doesn't extend south much past Denver, I doubt you would have access to anything but the internally served movies anyway (or if they shift to a DirectTV feed).
     
     
  #4550  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:02 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,554
^ Right on! I guess i'll have to dish out $5.99 out of my pocket per movie lol instead of watching regular TV. I laugh how much people complain about Air Canada and worship WestJet. By the way does WestJet have any recorded TV shows that you can watch for free? Or is it all live TV and as Sir Humphrey says becomes useless past Denver.
     
     
  #4551  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:03 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^ Right on! I guess i'll have to dish out $5.99 out of my pocket per movie lol instead of watching regular TV. I laugh how much people complain about Air Canada and worship WestJet. By the way does WestJet have any recorded TV shows that you can watch for free? Or is it all live TV and as Sir Humphrey says becomes useless past Denver.
Nothing recorded, just the PPV movies. I thought WJ was at least part of the DirectTV system, so that the live tv would work at least through all of the United States.
     
     
  #4552  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:11 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
I have flown with them to Mexico and remember it may have cut out somewhere inside the Mexico border and definitely works all the way to Vegas.
     
     
  #4553  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:18 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
The thing with the Fly Edmonton First campaign, and this campaign is, major international carriers will likely not serve both edmonton and calgary. YEG will not get BA and KLM and so on. Calgary has two main things going for it that will keep it as a hub, business community and proximity to Banff and the Rockies.
YEG in doing such a campaign is great, the more people flying out of YEG the better. But if everyone decided to fly out of Edmonton, will it really change things? Probably, but not that significantly. I dont think that we will attract KLM and Britishways and Emerates.... YEG needs to figure out how it can be a successful airport serving the needs of Edmonton while respecting what YYC is.
If we do that, I think YEG is a great airport for carriers like Air Berlin, Ryanair, Iceland Express, and S7. We should be working with YYC to be honest and try to carve out what works for both communities.

Agreed, but fly edmonton first and ad campaigns such as the recent should bump our numbers, yields, and justification for new flights, amenities, and PUBLIC TRANSIT.

baby steps
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #4554  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:40 PM
codeman9669's Avatar
codeman9669 codeman9669 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
^I'll be pretty unimpressed in a couple of weeks if they use a non-PTV 738 on a 6 hour flight down to Cancun. I guess we'll see.
They always seem to get a good tail wind heading down to Cancun. Everytime I go, it seems to be a 4.5 hour flight down. Coming home is when it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. Over xmas (on a Canjet 737), the estimated flight time was over 7 hours on the way home...and the plane didnt have the legs to make it all the way to Edmonton; we had to stop in Calgary for fuel. Luckily we just stayed on the plane, fueled up a bit, and were on our way. But, all in all, it took almost 9 hours to get home. BLAH!

I just returned from Phoenix a couple weeks ago. The TVs were working from there, although they did tend to break up a lot more down south than when we were getting closer to Edmonton. As someone posted above - when I flew to PV on WS, I seem to recall the TVs sorta working all the way passed the Mexican border (again, breaking up a LOT more as we got further south.)
__________________
Fly EDMONTON First - ALWAYS
     
     
  #4555  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 7:09 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
When we went to Cancun last spring we lost the TV feed just past the US coastline over the Gulf of Mexico so you should have it for almost the entire flight. Coming home the TV's started working again jsut over the U.S. mainland.
That said, apparently they have to rewire some of their systems as per a Boeing directive so there is a chance that your flight may not have seatback TV at all.

link from Flyertalk
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-p...aft-due-repairs-over-next-few-weeks.html
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
     
     
  #4556  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 8:55 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
I bought a netbook and have movies loaded onto it for the trips south.

Works great.
     
     
  #4557  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 10:16 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,554
WestJet should schedule their aircraft that the shorter flights get the aircraft without PTV's. I could live without a PTV flying to Fort McMurray or Kelowna but to Toronto, Montreal, Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, i consider it a joke if PTV's aren't available.
     
     
  #4558  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 4:28 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Cold: FRA first - we need to squeeze Air Canada's balls.
     
     
  #4559  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 4:32 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
From Airliners:
(I wish we had a few folks with a membership to provide counter arguments and correct info like we have a new airport)

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums...datedesc&search_type=all&search_active=1


Result 1 to 50 from a total of 6575 posts matching your query:
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
They already have a campaign here in DAB - "Fly Daytona First!", complete with commercials and billboards along I-75. I know the commercials advertise how you "don't have to drive an hour after landi
Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 21:02
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
Doesn't help that Edmonton's Airport is a half hour drive outside of the city. Heck you might as well keep driving to Calgary. You would probably be almost there by the time your plane landed in Calga
Posted by Hawaiian763 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 21:01
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
People in general just do not like YEG as an airport. It's old, in the middle of nowhere, has subpar amenities, and it costs a fortune to take a cab downtown as there is no regular transit service lin
Posted by A332 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 21:01
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
They just need to big a large airport in Lacombe and connect it with Edmonton and Calgary with fast light rail, then both can be served equally poorly lol. Maybe they should each share services: LON-Y
Posted by MtnWest1979 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 20:53
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
Exactly...finally a comment that makes sense..this is about $. Even Mexicana gave it an honest go at flying out of YEG , but, they could not fill up the planes and now have added the extra capacity to
Posted by Chinook747 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 20:50
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
We have to do this with DAB to stop the MCO leakage. I can see it now: Just say no to Orlando!
Posted by JBAirwaysFan on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 17:49
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
I would think that AC and WS are perfectly happy with the flights they have between the two cities.
Posted by ACDC8 on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 17:20
RE: YEG Wants People To Stop Flying To YYC
YEG needs to realize that with a population of 3.6 million, Alberta is pretty much well served to Europe through YYC. Maybe in 10-15 years will there be a European heavy landing at YEG in my opinion,
Posted by thenoflyzone on Tuesday March 2, 2010 at 17:17
     
     
  #4560  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 4:48 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
I think the Mexicana example pretty much sums up any argument, especially when hubbing is so much more efficient.

If I was an airline and wanted to gauge demand for Edmonton to a destination, I would look at all the people that started in Edmonton and hubbed through everywhere. It is much more complicated to try to discern demand from the basis of flyers home postal code, which can be pretty off for students, business people booked through a head office and travelers to Edmonton.

If Edmonton wants to prove demand and yield for a FRA flight, if every business class and normal passenger going to Frankfurt from Edmonton connected through Calgary the airlines would have the data and see the demand.

I guess my arguement boils down to: connecting in Calgary is ok, driving to Calgary is bad for data, therefor bad for new routes. That EIA views connecting in Calgary as bad is counter productive. They would rather have people have to clear US customs to fly to FRA through MSP or ORD - which is an ordeal in and of itself, which helps encourage driving. Having a high percentage of your traffic routed through hubs isn't always a bad thing - look at how Ottawa has secured flights because the airlines know they won't loose their shirts because the demand is already there and measurable.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.