HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 12:27 AM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Just curious. This probably sounds like a ridiculous idea but I wonder if it ever came up, but what if they built a train at grade, and then put a sort of structure over the length of the track to mitigate for noise. Pile up some soil near it and do a little landscaping and it could be nice. Sure sight lines would be affected but it is less impact than aerials and its cheaper than tunnels or aerials, or am I missing the core complaint?
The core complaint is "I don't want anything to change." At one of the meetings, one speaker in the crowd actually came out and said, "I've only got 15-20 years left. I don't want to deal with construction in my city for 20% of my remaining life."

The ROW is wide enough for four tracks with almost no eminent domain needed (something like 98% of the route would require NONE). If you built earthen barriers on either side, eminent domain would be needed, as it would probably double the width of the ROW - keep in mind for most of the route Caltrain runs right next to 6-8 lane El Camino Real, and often another busy, wide road on the other side, so you'd be talking about rebuilding roads too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.