Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj
I guess semi-off topic, but looking to the experience of others here - for anyone who has flown to Europe (Germany specifically) in June-ish, when is usually the best time to purchase a ticket (price wise). Prices are quite high right now (over $800+ taxes one way) - I would certainly think they drop some?
|
Look out for seat sales all the time. If you have exact dates in mind, you should have no problem catching a seat sale in the next month or two. From experience, i have found that Air Canada cannot be beat to Europe. At one point last year, Lufthansa by themselves had seat sales and it showed up on AC's website but only on the YYC-FRA route. Frankfurt and Munich are obviously the main gateways but i believe LH is starting Toronto-Dusseldorf service again. With the seat sales, you might be forced to fly through Toronto or Montreal. You might also look at nearby countries from which you can take a train or plane from.
I paid $946 roundtrip to Frankfurt in 2007 and $1218 roundtrip to Geneva in 2009. I could have went to Germany last year but the best prices to Germany i (surprisingly) found were around $1500 to $1600. You can also go via London Heathrow as Lufthansa has cheap fares from LHR to most places in Germany. Saying that, YEG-LHR prices are off the wall and the pricing and scheduling was very uncompetitive when i was looking to fly to Europe last year.
Air Transat is a good option if you are flying to Germany specifically. It might be your best choice. I haven't found them competitive on pricing but the route might work perfect for you.