HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5601  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 9:31 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
I don't even think clubs in Vegas stay open that late.
     
     
  #5602  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 2:27 PM
vancityrox's Avatar
vancityrox vancityrox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 363
I think they should all close at 3am and afterhours till 12pm. I find the noise laws ridiculous... You live downtown! You should know better. Live with it.
     
     
  #5603  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 2:33 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't even think clubs in Vegas stay open that late.
I know they do.

However, I'm a little fuzzy trying to remember which ones ...

I need another 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵/drink/party weekend.
     
     
  #5604  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 4:53 PM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Was not sure where to post this, but I just watched a BBC news story about the dying night life in Paris, due to noise complaints from the increasing number of residents around the club / pub areas. Because of this many musicians and other artists are starting to leave and base themselves in other European cities.

But get this, clubs stay open until 7AM!!!!!

Coud you imagine that?

Honestly, people living in downtown Vancouver have no idea what true light / noise / party issues are. We should at least be a 4am closing city on weekends.

Just interesting noting that we are not the only city facing NIMBY problems, but then again, Paris does party 5 hours later than we do.........with much louder music and much brighter lights.
Well, Paris isn't exactly a clubbing destination like other European cities. But what I have noticed is that house/apartment parties in Paris are CRAZY. They're super classy but there's a lot of noise that spills out onto the street but rarely do neighbours complain (and these are old buildings we're talking about!!)

I guess Vancouverites are just whiners - as I am beginning to see more and more (exponentially) each day we get closer to the big bang.

It's like I'm fighting the rising tides here in the city. Ugh.
     
     
  #5605  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 5:12 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Tides arent rising, its always been that way.

Also having bars open later than 4 is just excessive, leave the 24 hour partying to ibiza, vegas etc...

Have you ever been at a club after 3 in Van when they were experementing with long hours? Not only do you personally feel like a piece of trash for being so intoxicated so late, but the crowd is iffy at best. 3AM is fine by me, add in a few after hours and you are set.

What vancouver really needs to up its nightlife is larger venues that are not so homogenous, and more lounge type areas for those interested in going out but not going clubbing a la granville strip or to a standard pub/bar. This is of course all contingent on what the consumer wants... and unfortunately the consumer seems perfectly content with the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 top40 cramped clubs we have currently.
     
     
  #5606  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 5:45 PM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
LeftCoaster hit the nail on the head. It's not how late the bars or lounges are open . . . it's what they are like after 2 am. I've been to clubs and lounges in cities that are cool, classy, and fun . . . giving you a "let's just stay here and have another drink while the trans chilly music flows over us" vibe. In other cities I've been out when it began to feel like a drunken brawl waiting to happen . . . not in an "isn't this exciting" way but more like "I think that guy over there has a knife and he and his friends are going to go after that man next to the girl who humiliated him a couple hours ago. But he so drunk he'll probably miss. I don't want to be anywhere near when it all goes to hell . . . let's get outta here."

From my exposure, more often than not Vancouver resembles the latter . . . much earlier than you'd expect. At times it's been fun, but I tend to make my way home earlier here because the scene tends to crash hard as the night wears on. Heck, my first experience out here involved seeing a girl drunk off her 🞵🞵🞵🞵 stumbling around the side of a building in Yaletown looking for a place to piss. I'm not even sure it was midnight yet.

Perhaps Vancouver isn't "ready" for the sophistication of late-night clubs? I know there are some nimby's, but I think it's the whooping and hollering and drunk driving on the streets that raises the concern, not the mere "presence" of a club. I was in London last week in the heart of Soho. People were out, bands were playing, and drinks were flowing. But no one was squealing and screaming, or howling like wolves as they headed home . I could have stayed out til dawn with that crowd.

I have no doubt there are exceptions (which I'd love to hear). But that's my overall observation having lived here nearly two years.
     
     
  #5607  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 8:24 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
keep in mind though that in many Euro cities pubs close at 10-12pm and clubs dont open until then and hence run late.

7am'ers are great to have at certain times
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #5608  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 8:39 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
Perhaps Vancouver isn't "ready" for the sophistication of late-night clubs? I know there are some nimby's, but I think it's the whooping and hollering and drunk driving on the streets that raises the concern, not the mere "presence" of a club.
Gotta agree with you. What's with the full-on "Surrey sporto" mode that party-hearty crowd buy into here?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #5609  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 9:16 PM
paradigm4 paradigm4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Gotta agree with you. What's with the full-on "Surrey sporto" mode that party-hearty crowd buy into here?
Don't a lot of the douchebags on Granville come from the burbs?
     
     
  #5610  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 9:42 PM
LotusLand LotusLand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Don't a lot of the douchebags on Granville come from the burbs?
Bingo! Granville street for the most part is full of ppl from the burbs. Gastown and Yaletown are your best bet for a good time without the douchebaggery of the Ed Hardy glitter wearing fools.
     
     
  #5611  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 9:50 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Although Yaletown and Gastown are both subject to their own type of douchbaggery.... Yuppies and hipsters respectively.

Unfortunately douches are a part of life wherever you go, its a pain we all just have to learn to live with.
     
     
  #5612  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:07 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
Bingo! Granville street for the most part is full of ppl from the burbs. Gastown and Yaletown are your best bet for a good time without the douchebaggery of the Ed Hardy glitter wearing fools.
Except Shine...

I agree with LeftCoaster too.
     
     
  #5613  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:08 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
oh how i miss my days at PLAZA
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #5614  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:16 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
We should just open our own club where only cool SSPers can go, and not have to deal with those "douches"
     
     
  #5615  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:45 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
We should just open our own club where only cool SSPers can go, and not have to deal with those "douches"

We could call it 'skybar'... oh wait would we then have to go to Ceili's dressed in early 2000 fashion?
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #5616  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:55 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
^ Totally agree with LeftCoaster and johnjim. The scene gets pretty grim here just prior to close, and it was even worse when when the clubs were open until 4.
-----
The corner of Granville and Georgia is starting to look a little better:



(my photos, taken today)
     
     
  #5617  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:03 AM
vancityrox's Avatar
vancityrox vancityrox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 363
Dont know if anyone saw this documentary a student in Vancouver made on the DTES. Its pretty interesting.

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2010/02/02/watch...s-of-plenty-dtes-documentary/#more-16510

He should work with Micheal Moore.

Last edited by vancityrox; Feb 3, 2010 at 6:35 AM.
     
     
  #5618  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 7:37 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
^ Totally agree with LeftCoaster and johnjim. The scene gets pretty grim here just prior to close, and it was even worse when when the clubs were open until 4.
-----
The corner of Granville and Georgia is starting to look a little better:



(my photos, taken today)
wow finally looks good much better than the old le chateau
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #5619  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:36 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Although Yaletown and Gastown are both subject to their own type of douchbaggery.... Yuppies and hipsters respectively.

Unfortunately douches are a part of life wherever you go, its a pain we all just have to learn to live with.
Thank you Leftcoaster. I laugh at the comments that blame people from the burbs for their problems, it is always someone else........never seen that blame game before in history.......................

Also the closing time of clubs and where people come from is not the problem, the heart of the problem goes all the way back to our judicial and education systems, but that is another topic.

I honestly believe we could have a good night scene, but it involves more than just extending hours (although I do think 3AM would be a good closing time) such as the need of creating a more varied club / Lounge scene, more live music venues, shopping venues, cafes and pubs injected in between, and even doing such things as cleaning graffiti and vandalism promptly (every little bit helps), essentially adding more diversity to the street.


That is great to see more retail being added below the smaller black tower. (Is it also TD?)
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #5620  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:41 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i know people from the burbs - they don't desire or go downtown that much - at least not from the eastern suburbs - there are plenty of places out here for them to go too

maybe the north shore suburbs go downtown, or richmond ones but for the most part its vancouver people
__________________
belowitall
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.