I am so tired of Canadians disliking or downright hating other regions or cities in our own country. When are we going to grow up? To outsiders it looks and sounds so "Small potatoes". It makes us look like the rubes the rest of the world already thinks we are.
After all, who would take a country seriously, if they can't even take each other seriously? Would you invest in a company where the accounting department openly disrespects the abilities of the CEO? Or buy a car from a manufacturer who's president publicly spurns the competence of his assembly-line workers?
Travel the world and you find in most civilized countries, smaller cities are proud of their largest or capital city. Large city dwellers speak highly of their regional counterparts. Even the Americans are more tolerant of each other than we are. Americans ALL love New York. They are proud of it and think of it as America's capital.
I wish we could get out of our self-loathing phase and finally embrace the status of world class country, we so richly deserve.
Well put! I am in the most hated city in Canada..... Calgary! Just for the record. I love all Canadian cities. Toronto was really great dispite all the bad things I heard. You just need a good guide.
I am so tired of Canadians disliking or downright hating other regions or cities in our own country. When are we going to grow up? To outsiders it looks and sounds so "Small potatoes". It makes us look like the rubes the rest of the world already thinks we are.
After all, who would take a country seriously, if they can't even take each other seriously? Would you invest in a company where the accounting department openly disrespects the abilities of the CEO? Or buy a car from a manufacturer who's president publicly spurns the competence of his assembly-line workers?
Travel the world and you find in most civilized countries, smaller cities are proud of their largest or capital city. Large city dwellers speak highly of their regional counterparts. Even the Americans are more tolerant of each other than we are. Americans ALL love New York. They are proud of it and think of it as America's capital.
I wish we could get out of our self-loathing phase and finally embrace the status of world class country, we so richly deserve.
But complaining about and dissing other provinces or cities is as Canadian as Tim Hortons and Hockey.........